Adobe Acrobat 6 Announced

mcqmcq
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Acrobat 6 announced, 3 versions, Pro ($449), Standard ($299) and Elements (Elements is volume licensing, Windows only):

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...batFamily.html

Should be shipping by late May according to Adobe... Acrobat Reader will also be updated in late May.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Acrobat 6 announced, 3 versions, Pro ($449), Standard ($299) and Elements (Elements is volume licensing, Windows only):

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...batFamily.html

Should be shipping by late May according to Adobe... Acrobat Reader will also be updated in late May.

As soon as OmniGraffle 3.0 comes out, being able to make documents, I will not need Acrobat, never really have. Though it would be nice to be able to make links but I really could do with out.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Adobe is getting as slow as Quark... It took them some 2 years to carbonize an app with minimal GUI (I'd say that a 14-years-old kid can mimic its GUI in Interface Builder in an hour) ? Distiller. Isn't it a perfect example of marketing jerks giving out orders to developers?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I wonder if version 6 will mean an even more bloated and antique app (e.g. have you noticed how scroll wheels don't work in Acrobat, though it's probably one of the foremost apps that could use one? - and the size of the basic reader...), or will they do their best to make a state of the art, small in size, quick in speed little cocoa application?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I wonder if version 6 will mean an even more bloated and antique app (e.g. have you noticed how scroll wheels don't work in Acrobat, though it's probably one of the foremost apps that could use one? - and the size of the basic reader...), or will they do their best to make a state of the art, small in size, quick in speed little cocoa application?

They cannot sell a 3MB application for 300 bucks because customers can come to suspect that they are robbed in broad daylight. Expect a mega-package with minimum requirements that none of Apple hardware will meet.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    So, will Distiller RUN in OS X now? Will I actually be able to use hot folders in OS X natively now?

1 more down, 4 to go:

Quark Xpress. Duh.

MS Exchange Client. HUGE wound for my company now. Huge!

ATM (Hey, I like it. I need specialized sets in publishing)

Pitstop Pro (or will Acrobat 6 "do it all"?)

I feel like the 5.0 (Reader) is VERY slow and painful in both OS 9 and OS X. Do you guys agree? I wonder what 6.0 will be like...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Good linky:

http://www.planetpdf.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=2690

Read the Q&A reviews and the First Look.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Good linky:

http://www.planetpdf.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=2690

Read the Q&A reviews and the First Look.

thanks for the link. way more valuable info than adobe's site, which seems to be a lot of marketing mish-mash, and very little substance.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

So, will Distiller RUN in OS X now? Will I actually be able to use hot folders in OS X natively now?

1 more down, 4 to go:

Quark Xpress. Duh.

MS Exchange Client. HUGE wound for my company now. Huge!

ATM (Hey, I like it. I need specialized sets in publishing)

Pitstop Pro (or will Acrobat 6 "do it all"?)

will distiller run in os x? yes. check macgeneration for screenshots.

quark -- finally showing up to the party... MAYBE for WWDC, but i doubt it any earlier than seybold in the fall, knowing quark.

ms exchange -- according to m$, this summer, as a free upgrader for entourage. ms outlook is dead. completely. hope you have enough licenses of entourage kicking around, because that's going to be ther solution. it "sort of" works now, but still doesn't do things like share calendars, etc.

ATM -- again, dead in the water. adobe's official recommendation is migrating to font reserve. suitcase is another alternative, which supposedly imports atm sets, etc. there may be cross-grade discounts for both from atm, but i can't recall.

pitstop pro -- no idea here. those people i know who use it swear by it, but then again, it's because adobe was never willing to really unleash acrobat until now.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I just want a new fscking version of Reader that support my fscking scroll wheel.