Facebook preparing to take Apple to court over iOS 14 privacy features

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    The more he stamps his feet about this the more the public are educated on how fb works and are more likely to refuse them access.

It’s all great news for Apple, along with the hoo-ha about the FBI back door, it shows them as the champion of user data security and privacy.

qwerty52spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Zuckerberg's reaction may have as much to do with Google's plans to do much the same as Apple has done and hoping to cut them off at the pass before they get there.  having both major platforms restrict 3rd party Facebook's access to private user data is something they surely want to avoid. 
    Ah, but here’s the thing: no one is restricting Facebook from doing anything. 

Zuck the Suck is going to court because he believes it is his right to take your private information without telling you about it. 

If he needs to keep it a secret then he’s doing something wrong. 

And to think the NSA was bad. Now you the Zuck.
    spock1234williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 60
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Zuckerberg's reaction may have as much to do with Google's plans to do much the same as Apple has done and hoping to cut them off at the pass before they get there.  having both major platforms restrict 3rd party Facebook's access to private user data is something they surely want to avoid. 
    Ah, but here’s the thing: no one is restricting Facebook from doing anything. 

Zuck the Suck is going to court because he believes it is his right to take your private information without telling you about it. 

If he needs to keep it a secret then he’s doing something wrong. 
    It would certainly be an interesting legal precedent if the court backs a corporations ability to harvest citizens data/IP for their own purposes without consent.

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 60
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I’d think Zuckerberg would want to draw as little attention as possible to his situation, but maybe he’s a little deluded about what he should be allowed to do. The way I see it, the less people think about how Facebook earns their money, the better it is for them—it’s like a sausage maker commissioning a documentary about how the sausage is made. 
    My wife hasn't eaten a hot dog since seeing an episode about their manufacture on "How It's Made".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 60
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Facebook, before you attack Apple on privacy; make sure your ducks are in raw. Your livelihood is based on exploiting user's data so best keep your mouth shut instead opening a cane of worm. User privacy is a core value of Apple which many of us dearly care to protect, unlike Facebook or Google
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 60
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    If the courts force Apple to rewrite their App Store Guidelines, as CEO of Apple, I would shut down the App Store in the USA. No US court can force Apple to have an App Store in the first place. In such a case, Congress would quickly pass a law that would override the court's decision, letting Apple's Guidelines stand. Because Americans want an App Store.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Comparing historical advertising methods, like TV, to Facebook's methods isn't fair, because Facebook's method is done on a privately owned operating system which is owned by Apple, not the consumer, nor by Facebook, nor by the courts. You can't force a private company to build their product in a way that suits you, especially in a case like this where Apple can remove the App Store from their operating system, thereby taking even more control from the consumer and the world. I think Apple would be financially better off if the only way to buy software for the iPhone is to buy it directly from Apple's brand. Companies like Facebook and Valve could become nameless software manufacturers like Foxconn, if they wanted their software on iOS. Apple would then have complete control over what is available on iOS. That's probably how Apple should have done it in the first place, if they were concerned about profits first. But no, Apple was too concerned about the end user rather than profit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 60
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    cloudguy said:

"Even if you fundamentally disagree with Facebook's business model... you do need to acknowledge that Apple's actions are severely harming it."

Sure, if your business model is fundamentally flawed because the way you acquire data is shady at best, then it will suffer when you are forced to be more transparent about your practices. I don't see that as Apple's problem.

williamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
     I think Apple would be financially better off if the only way to buy software for the iPhone is to buy it directly from Apple's brand. Companies like Facebook and Valve could become nameless software manufacturers like Foxconn, if they wanted their software on iOS. Apple would then have complete control over what is available on iOS. That's probably how Apple should have done it in the first place, if they were concerned about profits first. But no, Apple was too concerned about the end user rather than profit.
    What? You obviously missed the story from a few days ago where Apple was concerned about leaving money on the table for services. The App Store was never meant to be a public service provider. It's a profit center for them just as it should be. The primary reason for it's existence now is profit. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 50 of 60
    I don’t  personally agree with a lot that the EU does, but one area they are clearly leading us is in rights for individual privacy.  It is long overdue for the US to pass a GDPR-like law that forces companies to declare what they are doing with your data, who they are sharing it with, and give you the right to correct and delete that data. I would expect those companies to lobby hard against it, though, as it puts up a big roadblock for their business model. 
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 51 of 60
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    tommikele said:
    k2kw said:
    I expect FB to prevail because Apple’s legal department is Less Successful than Rudy Guillianni. 
    Not the slightest bit witty and creative, nor does it score any points in the sarcasm department. Sad is amore accurate description.
    ...when the dye hits your eye, as you broadcast your lies, that’s amoré. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 60
    gatorguy said:
     I think Apple would be financially better off if the only way to buy software for the iPhone is to buy it directly from Apple's brand. Companies like Facebook and Valve could become nameless software manufacturers like Foxconn, if they wanted their software on iOS. Apple would then have complete control over what is available on iOS. That's probably how Apple should have done it in the first place, if they were concerned about profits first. But no, Apple was too concerned about the end user rather than profit.
    What? You obviously missed the story from a few days ago where Apple was concerned about leaving money on the table for services. The App Store was never meant to be a public service provider. It's a profit center for them just as it should be. The primary reason for it's existence now is profit. 
    I agree, and my assertion was that there would be even MORE profit if Apple controlled and owned all the apps that people can purchase.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    I agree, and my assertion was that there would be even MORE profit if Apple controlled and owned all the apps that people can purchase.
    Not at all selling them short, but IMO there's no way Apple would be capable of developing and thus owning all the apps a customer might want. We're talking games, utilities, camera apps, smart device apps....

Apple would have to create a whole lotta apps, charge significantly high prices for them, and offer a very involved software support structure to get anywhere near the revenue cut they are getting from letting thousand upon thousands of independent developers do it for them. 
    edited January 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 54 of 60
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If Facebook were to prevail in this planned lawsuit the U.S. government would have no case to bring against Facebook or any other company that collects customer data and sells it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Zuck is delusional.  So far from being on sound ethical and moral ground.  I don’t bother with FB
    williamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 60
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    lkrupp said:
    If Facebook were to prevail in this planned lawsuit the U.S. government would have no case to bring against Facebook or any other company that collects customer data and sells it.
    Gatorguy may be right - if Google is planning a move similar to apple that restricts facebook's access to personal data on the android side Facebook could potentially be facing huge losses in revenue. When your business model is deceit it's hard to make a legitimate argument so the lawyers make whatever argument they can.
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 60
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Another solid case of "bite the hand that feeds you!" This time from Zucker and Co. I am curious to know how much money Facebook has made from their users on the Mac platform. Surely this data is somewhere to be found, given that this is Facebook after all?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 60
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    F_Kent_D said:
    Good luck Zuck. 
    Exactly what I came here to say! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 60
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    I am really beginning to hate social media.

I was watching a Netflix show about design and one about the fellow who redesigned Instagram and how it was for "sharing" pictures.

I get these platforms need to make money and cannot provide services for free but everything is beginning to take a back seat or no seat to advertising and influencing.

Guess, what, I don't need the internet to tell me what I need or what it thinks I need. I need it to bring back the results I am looking for.

The internet has turned into one big commercial.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 60 of 60
    The lawsuit is not actually against Apple, is against consumers. Because Apple is giving the consumers the ability of choosing if consumers want companies like Facebook to track them. So no chance for this lawsuit to pass the court.