macOS Big Sur 11.2 now available with Bluetooth fixes for M1 Macs

Posted:
in macOS edited February 2021
Apple has released the macOS Big Sur 11.2 update that fixes Bluetooth reliability issues on Macs with the M1 processor.

macOS Big Sur 11.2 has released
macOS Big Sur 11.2 has released

Users who can update to the latest version can wait for the automatic update to begin overnight, or open the System Preferences app and select Software Update. The update arrives alongside iOS 14.4 which was focused on bug fixes and minor feature updates.

The update addresses an issue reported by users whose Bluetooth devices were disconnecting from their M1-based Macs. The issue affected peripherals like mice and keyboards and even AirPods.

Other bug fixes for macOS Big Sur 11.2 include:
  • External displays may show a black screen when connected to a Mac mini (M1, 2020) using an HDMI to DVI converter
  • Edits to Apple ProRAW photos in the Photos app may not save
  • iCloud Drive could turn off after disabling the iCloud Drive Desktop & Documents Folders option
  • System Preferences may not unlock when entering your administrator password
  • Globe key may not display the Emoji & Symbols pane when pressed

The first and second beta did not have detailed release notes and seemed to contain various bug fixes. The release candidate and third beta contained the fixes present in the final release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Variable calendar reminders snooze times???
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I hope they fixed the constant XNU Kernel panics that some have referred to as the MacBook Sigh of Death.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    bobcat62 said:
    I hope they fixed the constant XNU Kernel panics that some have referred to as the MacBook Sigh of Death.
    Do you know under what conditions the KPs occurred? I haven't seen any on my M1 MacBook Air since 11.0.1. I've been running 11.2 since the first RC and haven't seen any kernel panics.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Nothing obvious. Just a single Snooze button.
    equality72521
  • Reply 5 of 21
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and since installing Big Sur I’ve had problems with poor Bluetooth performance, very slow waking from sleep, and glitchy messaging. I’ve tried resetting the BT module but that hasn’t helped. Hopefully 11.2 will fix the issues. 
    josh2012watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Just went to install the update on my M1 Mac Mini and during the update, the video went to snow with a clicking audio. Waited about 5 minutes and nothing changed so I forced a power off. Restarted the Mac and the install seemed to continue and completed.  It now shows 11.2 but I’m not sure I trust an update that had to be hard halted.  Might just reinstall the operating system from scratch. I’d be curious to see if anyone else had this issue. 
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    jdb8167 said:
    Nothing obvious. Just a single Snooze button.
    Such a tiny thing, but I can’t fathom this change at all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    j2fusion said:
    Just went to install the update on my M1 Mac Mini and during the update, the video went to snow with a clicking audio. Waited about 5 minutes and nothing changed so I forced a power off. Restarted the Mac and the install seemed to continue and completed.  It now shows 11.2 but I’m not sure I trust an update that had to be hard halted.  Might just reinstall the operating system from scratch. I’d be curious to see if anyone else had this issue. 
    Updated 3 x laptops (one M1 MacBook Air) & 3 x Mac minis (one M1 Mac mini) without issue.  One more Mac mini (2018) to go.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jdb8167 said:
    bobcat62 said:
    Do you know under what conditions the KPs occurred? I haven't seen any on my M1 MacBook Air since 11.0.1. I've been running 11.2 since the first RC and haven't seen any kernel panics.
    Remember, some of us are still on Intel.   ;)

Here's a link to Brett Simmons on the "sneeze:"

https://inessential.com/2020/12/09/the_big_sur_sneeze
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    MplsP said:
    I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and since installing Big Sur I’ve had problems with poor Bluetooth performance, very slow waking from sleep, and glitchy messaging. I’ve tried resetting the BT module but that hasn’t helped. Hopefully 11.2 will fix the issues. 
    I have a 2018 Mac mini and it also has had Bluetooth performance issues, specifically with my AirPods. I can't even walk 20ft away anymore without them disconnecting and even when I'm sitting directly in front of my Mac mini people complain they can't hear me because they cut in and out. Maybe it will fix my Mac as well. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Do these Bluetooth problems also affect unlocking Macs with Apple Watch? This works for me only sometimes, rarely, very unreliable.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Nice! This update is what 11.0 should have been and overall things are working much better now though still feel a little less responsive than before the upgrade on my test machine. Going to wait for one more round before installing it on our production and office macs.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    And they still haven't fixed Sharing > Media Sharing > Share Photos with Apple TV.  Sharing from Photos app shows no albums. 

And the beloved Music app remains with full of bugs. 

edited February 2021
  • Reply 14 of 21
    bobcat62 said:
    jdb8167 said:
    bobcat62 said:
    Remember, some of us are still on Intel.   ;)

Here's a link to Brett Simmons on the "sneeze:"

https://inessential.com/2020/12/09/the_big_sur_sneeze
    I also have a 2013 Mac Pro on 11.2 and it has been on Big Sur since 11.1. No kernel panics there either. Thanks for the link. 

Edit: Sounds like it might be a problem exclusive to the Intel 16” MacBook Pro. Is that also your machine?
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Installed on my M1 mini and says 11.2  an but still didn’t fix my Apple wireless trackpad not being able to grab bar and move windows around like it does fine on my 2012 mini!  Please  HELP!😫
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Just installed - seems OK.   I'm not sure if this will correct the Bluetooth issues I have with my truck, beyond that I'm not a big Bluetooth user.   This is on a M1 MBA by the way but my understanding is that Apple screwed up Bluetooth for all machines.    Beyond that I've been pleasantly surprised by just how good Big Sur is on the M1 based devices.   Very few problems considering how massive a change it is.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    camccamc Posts: 45member
    It seems to me it also fixed some weird behavior I've experienced in Photoshop Save / Export dialogue boxes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    MplsP said:
    I also have a 2017 MacBook Pro, since Big Sur I've had terrible battery life, messages not synching and sometimes not sending or receiving, and just really slow. I ordered an M1 MacBook Air last night, but since the update to 11.02 today the Pro is running better than it did on Catalina. I'm debating whether to cancel the Air oder, I don't really need an update, and my Pro is in excellent condition. The battery life was the major concern, it was only lasting 3-4 hours on a charge just browsing the web, email, and messages; and the battery would drain rapidly when asleep. So far, the battery seems fixed. The Air is still tempting though with the new keyboard, better ergonomics, even longer battery life, the M1: better performance and up to date, silent operation, and a little lighter...hmm
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    josh2012 said:
    MplsP said:
    I also have a 2017 MacBook Pro, since Big Sur I've had terrible battery life, messages not synching and sometimes not sending or receiving, and just really slow. I ordered an M1 MacBook Air last night, but since the update to 11.02 today the Pro is running better than it did on Catalina. I'm debating whether to cancel the Air oder, I don't really need an update, and my Pro is in excellent condition. The battery life was the major concern, it was only lasting 3-4 hours on a charge just browsing the web, email, and messages; and the battery would drain rapidly when asleep. So far, the battery seems fixed. The Air is still tempting though with the new keyboard, better ergonomics, even longer battery life, the M1: better performance and up to date, silent operation, and a little lighter...hmm
    It depends on your disposable income and needs of course but Apple really seems to hit their stride on the second or third version of things. For instance, unless they come out with a glucose monitor I will use my AW3 till it finally stops working. 
    josh2012watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Big Sur 11.2 made my M1 Bluetooth issues worse.

My Wireless Apple Keyboard and Logitech mouse are not recognised upon restart, and I have to attached wired devices to login, after which they get recognised and I can detach the wired devices again.

Which is super annoying as I choose to shut down my computer after a days work (working at home / room used for multiple purposes).

Another bug that is introduced is the fact the login icons are misaligned to the left, and way bigger compared to the icons at the bottom, which are entered. As if the icons assume a different monitor resolution (I'm using a 4K Dell screen).