Apple speeds up masked Face ID by detecting an Apple Watch in iOS 14.5

Posted:
in iOS edited February 2021
Apple is making it faster for iPhone users to unlock their devices while wearing a face mask in the first iOS 14.5 beta, by confirming the presence of an Apple Watch.

The ongoing coronavirus pandemic has caused problems for people who use iPhones, as wearing a mask prevents Face ID from properly working. Users were forced either to remove their mask temporarily or to enter in their security code to unlock the iPhone.

In the beta for iOS 14.5, Apple is trying out a way to get through Face ID authentication while wearing the mask, by taking advantage of the Apple Watch. In a similar fashion to how an Apple Watch could be used to unlock a Mac, an Apple Watch wearer can set up their iPhone to unlock through Face ID, if they are wearing the Apple Watch and it's nearby.

The change, spotted by Joanna Stern only applies to unlocking the iPhone. Performing other actions that require Face ID, such as approving a transaction, will require either a full view of the face or the entry of a passcode.

It includes a new feature: Unlock iPhone with Apple Watch while wearing a mask. If you are wearing a mask and have an unlocked Apple Watch on your wrist, you can unlock FaceID on your iPhone.

-- Joanna Stern (@JoannaStern)

Slow Face ID unlocking has been an issue throughout the pandemic, and even prompted a request from the New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority to make it faster to authenticate users without removing their masks for Face ID.

Apple's previous attempt to refine Face ID for a mask-using public was in iOS 13.5. In that update, Face ID automatically moved to ask the user for their passcode if a mask was detected, rather than requiring users to wait for Face ID to time out each time.
razorpitBart Y

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    YAAAASSSSSSS!!!! 😬
    StrangeDaysnapoleon_phoneapartBart Ywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Necessity is the mother of invention.
    StrangeDaysmike1plastico23Bart Ywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 26
    So, if someone steals your watch and your iphone that person can unlock your phone easily?

Looks unsafe to me.

• Reply 4 of 26
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    I’m happy using the passcode for ApplePay.  What I have is fine with me. 
    Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    So, if someone steals your watch and your iphone that person can unlock your phone easily?

Looks unsafe to me.

If they steal your WATCH unlocking the iPhone won’t work because as soon as the WATCH is off your wrist it’s locked too. 
    techconclolliverStrangeDaysSpamSandwichfred1gregoriusmmike1plastico23Rayz2016dewme
  • Reply 6 of 26

Looks unsafe to me.

You can unlock a Mac with an Apple Watch too.  This is really nothing new.  If someone steals your watch, they won't have the passcode the watch.  The moment you take your watch off, it's locked.  

Further, as the story mentions, your Financial transactions, you'd still need the full authentication.  Of course, if you have an Apple Watch, you can use Apple Pay right from the watch with your mask on.  
    lollivergregoriusmBart Yllamawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Looks unsafe to me.
    Oh but what if someone chops your fingers off and uses them for Touch ID! Or plucks your AirPods out while riding by on a bike! Rolleyes... You dudes never stop with the creative writing...

It's fine. My watch is on my wrist. It can't be authenticated to a bad guy because removing it ends the session.
    mike1napoleon_phoneapartkiehtanmacxpressJapheyBart Yllamawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Looks unsafe to me.

I guess that could be a valid concern in a way. The beauty is you don't have to turn it on if you don't want. This makes it easier for those of us that live in nanny states that force us to wear a face diapers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

Looks unsafe to me.

Um, no. Watch locks as soon as it is removed from your wrist.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member

Looks unsafe to me.

You mean just like someone can steal your iPhone and put in your passcode to get access to your data? Hell, there are more ways in the wild to bypass the iPhone's security than the Watch.
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Necessity is the mother of invention.
    hey don't tell invention but his mom is a total dime
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    razorpit said:I guess that could be a valid concern in a way. The beauty is you don't have to turn it on if you don't want. This makes it easier for those of us that live in nanny states that force us to wear a face diapers.
    Nah! Nah! Nah! It's the $#!t coming out of your lungs that's forcing you to wear face diapers.

That, and concern for your fellow human beings.
    napoleon_phoneapartkiehtanparaeekerelijahgbageljoeyBart YMplsPwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

Looks unsafe to me.
    Oh but what if someone chops your fingers off and uses them for Touch ID! Or plucks your AirPods out while riding by on a bike! Rolleyes... You dudes never stop with the creative writing...

It's fine. My watch is on my wrist. It can't be authenticated to a bad guy because removing it ends the session.
    You forgot to mention ... what if they also chop off your whole arm too, so as not to remove the watch.
    randominternetpersonJinTechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Performing other actions that require Face ID, such as approving a transaction, will require either a full view of the face or the entry of a passcode. 
    Which, of course,  isn’t a problem because you can tap and pay with your Apple Watch. 

Bart Ytechconcwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 26

Looks unsafe to me.

That will not work because as soon as you take your Apple Watch off your wrist it also locks... All that you will end up with is a locked Apple Watch and a locked iPhone.

You need to either unlock the iPhone in order to unlock the Apple Watch, or unlock the Apple Watch in order to unlock the iPhone.

Also you cannot sneak up on somebody to unlock their iPhone while they are wearing their Apple Watch, because the Watch unlock feature still needs Face ID on your iPhone to detect your open eyes above the face mask before it will even look for a nearby Apple Watch.
    raulcristianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    mknelson said:
    razorpit said:I guess that could be a valid concern in a way. The beauty is you don't have to turn it on if you don't want. This makes it easier for those of us that live in nanny states that force us to wear a face diapers.
    Nah! Nah! Nah! It's the $#!t coming out of your lungs that's forcing you to wear face diapers.

That, and concern for your fellow human beings.
    Thank you nanny states for helping keep us all alive and safe.
    raulcristianfastasleepBart YMplsPwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Flytrap said:

Looks unsafe to me.

That will not work because as soon as you take your Apple Watch off your wrist it also locks... All that you will end up with is a locked Apple Watch and a locked iPhone.

You need to either unlock the iPhone in order to unlock the Apple Watch, or unlock the Apple Watch in order to unlock the iPhone.

Also you cannot sneak up on somebody to unlock their iPhone while they are wearing their Apple Watch, because the Watch unlock feature still needs Face ID on your iPhone to detect your open eyes above the face mask before it will even look for a nearby Apple Watch.

Well, thanks to you and all the people that let me understand how this thing really works.

Now it looks safe to me. :-)

(And for those who mentioned it: no, a chopped finger will NOT be a valid TouchID unlocking mechanism, and I suspect that a chopped arm - and arm with no pulse - will immediately lock your Apple watch...)
    edited February 2021 roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26

Looks unsafe to me.

Face ID is still used. If Face ID sees different eyes, or above the mask, it wont unlock.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Performing other actions that require Face ID, such as approving a transaction, will require either a full view of the face or the entry of a passcode. 
    Which, of course,  isn’t a problem because you can tap and pay with your Apple Watch. 
    Not for purchases on the iPhone.
    jony0
  • Reply 20 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I saw a neat tweak in the jailbreak store which allowed you to control the conditions for whether authentication was required.  e.g. you could stop it asking for a face/passcode if you have AirPods in and they are playing, or if you're connected to a certain Wi-Fi network.  That'd be a nice option for Apple to build in.