Apple pulls iCloud 12 update for Windows over Chrome extension bug

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple pulled its iCloud for Windows update on Tuesday, one day after releasing iCloud Passwords for Chrome on Windows, with issues discovered by users potentially behind the withdrawal of the update.

On Monday, Apple released an update for iCloud for Windows bringing it to version 12, an update which also introduced support for iCloud Passwords for Windows. The addition allowed the use of Apple's Keychain password feature in Google Chrome, enabling saved credentials to be used in the browser within Windows.

By Tuesday, the update was no longer available to download from the Microsoft Store. The installer offered in the Windows storefront is for version 11.6.32.0, not version 12, indicating that Apple downgraded the version.

For a while the Microsoft Store listing continued to mention the added password functionality, but references have since been removed. The iCloud Passwords Chrome extension is still available to download, but it requires the correct version of iCloud for Windows to function.

While there is no mention of why the update was taken down, The 8-Bit believes it may have been due to user-reported issues with the extension following its release. Some users discovered that, once the Chrome extension is installed, a two-factor authentication code glitched in the bottom-left corner of the browser, appearing regardless of the viewed website.

If this is the reason for Apple's takedown, it is plausible the company wants to fix the issues while preventing users from using a buggy and potentially insecure version for the moment, at least until a repaired version is offered.

It is unclear when the update will be available to download once again, but it is entirely plausible Apple could rerelease it later in the week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Trying to support anything on Windows could be a huge problem.  Microsoft has a hard enough time!
    agilealtitudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I feel like putting iCloud keychain on the windows chrome or android environment really is asking for trouble in terms of security and privacy.  Seems like a much less secure environment but hordes of rampant hackers probably in the teeth just to bring down “the ivory tower.“
    Sorry, that’s a little cynical and fearful of me, which is not my normal nature.
    agilealtitudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    tstump said:
    I feel like putting iCloud keychain on the windows chrome or android environment really is asking for trouble in terms of security and privacy.  Seems like a much less secure environment but hordes of rampant hackers probably in the teeth just to bring down “the ivory tower.“
    Sorry, that’s a little cynical and fearful of me, which is not my normal nature.
    It's really buyer beware, not Apple's responsibility here.  So no ivory tower takedown.  All their Chrome extension is doing is looking up iCloud information and putting it in Chrome.  If the user has installed a malicious Chrome extension which is harvesting their logins, it's not Apple's fault.  Then again, with all the ignorance these days, I'm sure people would blame Apple for it.
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Who asked for or wants this bloated iCloud app for windows

just Make a chrome extension like everyone else 
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kkqd1337 said:

You missed the point - there was a Chrome extension that was pulled.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nicholfd said:
    kkqd1337 said:

You missed the point - there was a Chrome extension that was pulled.
    The way they have implemented the extension is that it REQUIRES the desktop app to be installed.

They should have made a standalone chrome extension is what I should have said perhaps