Bust out the SUV's, global warming not their fault after all!

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Don't hate SUVs. Hate technophobic, unimaginative, irresponsible, and lacking-of-any-prescience-at-all American automotive companies. The technology is there to have 30 to 40 mpg SUVs (and 40 to 60 mpg regular cars), but they don't want to do it until the foreign car companies start eating into the bottom line when gas prices go up.

As a fellow Civic owner, I doubt he hates them simply because they get poor mpg. He probably hates them for the same reason I hate them. THEY'RE TOO DAMN BIG!!!

• Reply 42 of 43
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    I will say this about what I think SUVs, as representive of consumptive humanity, mean. How it plays in global climate is difficult to model right now, but the trends of so-called greenhouse gasses (and pollution) all favor net-increases. How it will effect global climate, we really don't know yet. The dynamic between atmospheric and oceanic conditions is still being studied; it'll probably result in localized increased cold and hot zones with more energetic weather.

The alarming thing is that the trends are always net-increases in greenhouse gasses and pollution. It's always an upward trend and we will always dump more and more greenhouse gasses and pollution year after year into the system. Barring any catastrophic population decrease and assuming increasing population, these trends won't stop and will follow the population trends.

Unless a lot of us become vegetarians, it means that we'll need more cows too. Which means more methane!

How greenhouse gasses and pollution will interplay, we don't know, but we certainly don't want to continue to always dump them into the system. The system is under constant attack and isn't being given a chance to reach an equilibrium. It's as if humanity is playing Russain Roulette. We don't know what is going happen, but the possibly of catastrophe is always going to hang around.

I do firmly believe that one of the effects of consumptive humanity is the extinction of all wild megafauna, specialized fauna and specialized flora in the world. Shoreline fish populations will be depleted. The rainforests will be diminished. And there will lots of dust and pollution in the world. We don't have zero-effect in the world as we know it.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

As a fellow Civic owner, I doubt he hates them simply because they get poor mpg. He probably hates them for the same reason I hate them. THEY'RE TOO DAMN BIG!!!

Hehe, I think Civics are too small. I do think they are great cars though.