Kuo: 'Apple Car' to use Hyundai's E-GMP platform, GM and PSA partnerships possible

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Kia and GM doesn’t inspire quality. 
    And Foxconn makes devices for other brands. Point? It's Apple's design that makes its products special, not the contract manufacturer. 
    It's amazing how many commenters are missing this point. 
    You must be new here. :)
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 73
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

byronl said:
    byronl said:
    310 miles?? 0-60 in 3.5?? how the f are they supposed to compete with tesla? they
     should just buy lucid already, who also has a factory and is really close to production of their luxury product.
    LOL.  0-60 in under 4 seconds is way more performance than anyone needs.  Are we expecting Joe Commuter to compete in F1 races now?
    well they wouldn’t come out with a car that’s worse than tesla’s in every way... (strictly talking about specs, i know the apple car will be beautiful and luxurious and will have a great experience and blah blah blah). also, what about the range??? 310 is really average. tesla and lucid will soon have cars with ~520 miles... a “very high end” ev cant have the range of a 40-50k ev...
    You know, it's possible that it's far too early to be comparing specs based on a rumor of a "potential" partnership that may result in the imaginary vehicle in your mind versus shipping products.
    thtrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 73
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    This will be a new model of private transport. I expect an autonomous subscription service.  You are not likely to buy this yourself, it would not make financial sense. It does not matter a damn about the performance as long as it gets you there at legal speeds in comfort and most importantly access to entertainment. Apple One of course.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 73
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Ford announced it will use Google Android. GM?
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Kia and GM doesn’t inspire quality. 
    And Foxconn makes devices for other brands. Point? It's Apple's design that makes its products special, not the contract manufacturer. 
    It's amazing how many commenters are missing this point. 
    You must be new here. :)
    Hah! No, I'm definitely not new here--I've been reading AI for about 10 years!

Doesn't stop me from being amazed... :#
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 73
    JWSC said:
    DAalseth said:
    Kuo writes. "We believe that Apple will leverage current automakers' resources and focus on self-driving hardware and software, semiconductors, battery-related technologies, form factor and internal space designs, innovative user experience, and the integration with Apple's existing ecosystem."

This makes the most sense. I never understood the idea that Apple would go it alone. It would be silly for Apple to reinvent the wheel, (and the suspension, and the door locks, and the wiper blades, and the...). This would let Apple do what Apple does best, and let a car company do the mundane stuff that they do best.
    Oh no.  Just no.  Using the E-GMP platform screams “ROKR” loudly.  I was hoping that Apple would revisit the whole concept of the automobile.  But this is too incremental, just too like everyone else is doing.

And then there’s Tesla to contend with, which has superior batteries and motors and many millions of miles of autonomous driving data to work with.  Even then, is autonomous driving what everyone really wants?  Is that going to sell cars?  Or is it the thrill of putting the pedal to the metal?

Han Solo - “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”
    Not for Apple to do that. Most people are not ready for a new concept of what a car is. It's too early. A lost of younger people don't give a shit about cars but just want mobility. Car ownership will keep going down. At some point you will just have extensive rental fleets of basic cars optimised for use-cases, like holidays, moving, simple transportation to friends/family. You can see this happening in Europe already. It's probably different in the USA where long-range public transport is non-existent.
    tmay
  • Reply 67 of 73
    PSA does not exist anymore: PSA and FCA (Fiat) merged together into Stellantis on 16 January 2021.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 68 of 73
    wood1208 said:
    Everyone made or makes negative comments against Apple's strategic direction, products including Car; remember there are and were millions like you and almost every time; Apple delivered without saying in your face. Until that day, enjoy your sarcasm. For Apple, Car is different than small consumer products but knowing Apple; if Apple decided to build car than it will be their like iPhone,iPad,M1 MAC,etc.
    Of like the beige PowerPC, or the 3dr party Mac clones, or the Newton, or the Apple camera.... I am an Apple fan. I built a company that develops and sells Apple software for scientists to use. I enjoyed their wins (OS X etc...) but have lived through their misses (OpenDoc, QuickDraw 3D etc...). I look forward to a good car from Apple, but they are capable of making mistakes.

Apple has a great track record and get a lot of credit for taking risks and pushing the boundaries, but that does not guarantee success. I am sure they are smarter than us and will come up with something great. These boards are entertainment for us to discuss rumours and make prediction and have fun in the process. I am sure no one at Apple takes it personally.

• Reply 69 of 73
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    tedz98 said:
    The new BEV platforms are nicknamed “skateboards” because they are a flat platform with 4 wheels, battery and motors upon which almost any style of vehicle can be built. Apple doesn’t want to design a new platform from scratch. Though they could probably substitute a unique battery technology into the structure Hyundai designed. What will make this unique will be the exterior and interior design and technology integration. Apple doesn’t want to be in the business of designing and operating assembly lines. Look at how long it has taken Tesla to get the basics of car manufacturing (ie panel gaps/alignment) up to industry standards. Apple will design the car. Hyundai will build it. Hyundai also builds upscale models in its Genesis line, so for the snobs out there who equate an Apple car built by Hyundai to a Kia, you are off base. Working with Hyundai is a good and logical starting point that offers Apple speed and quality and allows Apple to focus on design and tech and not nuts and bolts.
    Agree, and as a cohort, Hyundai owners are very happy with the reliability of their cars.  And from Hyundai’s perspective, they may think it is better for them as a Korean company to get in bed with Apple rather than Samsung which would digest them in the process.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    byronlbyronl Posts: 362member

byronl said:
    byronl said:
    310 miles?? 0-60 in 3.5?? how the f are they supposed to compete with tesla? they
     should just buy lucid already, who also has a factory and is really close to production of their luxury product.
    LOL.  0-60 in under 4 seconds is way more performance than anyone needs.  Are we expecting Joe Commuter to compete in F1 races now?
    well they wouldn’t come out with a car that’s worse than tesla’s in every way... (strictly talking about specs, i know the apple car will be beautiful and luxurious and will have a great experience and blah blah blah). also, what about the range??? 310 is really average. tesla and lucid will soon have cars with ~520 miles... a “very high end” ev cant have the range of a 40-50k ev...
    You know, it's possible that it's far too early to be comparing specs based on a rumor of a "potential" partnership that may result in the imaginary vehicle in your mind versus shipping products.
    well yes it’s a rumor obviously..
  • Reply 71 of 73
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    emcnair said:
    Prior to the new M1 Macs, there was little functional differents between a Mac and a PC. What really made the difference was external design and Mac OS? Apple's defining difference in the computer market was user experience. How different is that from what they are rumored to do for cars? Most people only care about what they can touch, see and feel. Only geeks and gear heads are going to care about performance specs. And cars are worse than computers. With computers, users will often hit the peak the performance of there computers. I have never driven faster than my car go.
    This is a great observation.  (Prior to the M1) compare a MacBook Pro with any other quality laptop and they are 95% "the same" in terms of components.  And even with the M1 MacBooks, you could say this only shifts that slightly.  And yet, we swear by our Macs and say there is no comparison with PCs. Why would a car be any different?  This Hyundai E-GMP could be the "Intel inside" for the Apple Car and it wouldn't minimize the fact that it's an Apple car.  If Hyundai has nailed the basic "electric car stuff" so that it's zippy with great range, then Apple could build on this and (theoretically) be competitive with anyone.  It would be insane for Apple to try to reinvent the wheel at the level of transmissions, tires, suspension, etc.
    I must be insane then.  Because that’s exactly what I expected of Apple.  Go big or go home!
  • Reply 72 of 73
    If so, Apple is treating a car like a phone; get the screen from Samsung, the cellular modem from Qualcomm, etc.

That said - rumors! We don’t know anything for sure yet. 

Just because Apple buys certain components from third-party supplies doesn't mean that they aren't involved in the design and implementation of those parts to Apple's high standards. An iPhone is not just a collection of third-party components slapped together. Never was, never will be. Nor will an Apple Car just be an "Apple-branded" car.
    This guy gets it. Take that "screen from Samsung" -- Samsung manufactured it, but Apple designed it unique for iPhone. Why people struggle with this I dunno.
    I hope you are right.  But the claim that the E-GMP platform will be used doesn’t inspire confidence.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    michelb76 said:
    JWSC said:
    DAalseth said:
    Kuo writes. "We believe that Apple will leverage current automakers' resources and focus on self-driving hardware and software, semiconductors, battery-related technologies, form factor and internal space designs, innovative user experience, and the integration with Apple's existing ecosystem."

This makes the most sense. I never understood the idea that Apple would go it alone. It would be silly for Apple to reinvent the wheel, (and the suspension, and the door locks, and the wiper blades, and the...). This would let Apple do what Apple does best, and let a car company do the mundane stuff that they do best.
    Oh no.  Just no.  Using the E-GMP platform screams “ROKR” loudly.  I was hoping that Apple would revisit the whole concept of the automobile.  But this is too incremental, just too like everyone else is doing.

And then there’s Tesla to contend with, which has superior batteries and motors and many millions of miles of autonomous driving data to work with.  Even then, is autonomous driving what everyone really wants?  Is that going to sell cars?  Or is it the thrill of putting the pedal to the metal?

Han Solo - “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”
    Not for Apple to do that. Most people are not ready for a new concept of what a car is. It's too early. A lost of younger people don't give a shit about cars but just want mobility. Car ownership will keep going down. At some point you will just have extensive rental fleets of basic cars optimised for use-cases, like holidays, moving, simple transportation to friends/family. You can see this happening in Europe already. It's probably different in the USA where long-range public transport is non-existent.
    Then what is Apple going to offer that will stand out?  Better iPhone integration?  I’m expected to buy an Apple car for that?!!  It’s an automobile, and as such it’s got to be one hell of a lot better than anything else out there.  Cool electronics integration ain’t going to cut it.