'Ted Lasso" nominated for three Writers Guild of America awards

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple TV+ original comedy series "Ted Lasso" has been nominated for three Writers Guild of America awards.

Credit: Apple TV+
Credit: Apple TV+

The series received nominations in three WGA categories: comedy series, new series, and episodic comedy. For the latter category, "Ted Lasso" was nominated for its pilot episode.

Other WGA nominees in the comedy series category include "Curb Your Enthusiasm," "The Great," "PEN15," and "What We Do in the Shadows." For New Series, "Ted Lasso" joins nominees "Dave," "The Flight Attendant," "The Great," and "Lovecraft Country."

Earlier on Wednesday, "Ted Lasso" also brought in two Golden Globe nominations for the Apple streaming service. The series was nominated for best musical or comedy television series. The show's Jason Sudeikis was also nominated for best performance by an actor in a musical or comedy television series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    This show was FANTASTIC! Understated brilliance in a funny, heart warming, quirky stew. I loved it and I’m thrilled it’s being recognized.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I think producers need to pay attention that shows which actually make you feel good most of the time (like Ted Lasso) are more likely to be appreciated by viewers. Examples of shows which on the whole are more depressing than feel-good include: Servant, Truth Be Told, Defending Jacob, The Morning Show, Home Before Dark and See. One show that was also pretty feel-good on the whole was Central Park and I usually see positive reviews about that one. (Watch Episode 6, "Rival Busker," if you don't watch any other episode of that.)

This is a nomination by Writers, however, not really an entertainment award. I presume writers base their awards on the quality of the script, more than the overall entertainment value. In that case, I found the two main roles to be well-written and their motivations clear and memorable. Several other of the minor players also had clear and empathetic roles. But it won't win a Pulitzer Prize.

I think it was the last five minutes of episode 3 that I had to rewatch about ten times. The one where the female lead was coming to realize that her evil plans were failing. That was emotionally draining.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    My family was initially hesitant to watch it, because the premise seems quite shallow. But now they are hooked as the show has unexpected depth, not least because of a stellar supporting cast led by Hannah Waddingham hiding her pain behind civilised composure; Juno Temple acting on her suspicion that she is more than a WAG; and also Nick Mohammed's average bloke. And ultimately, the message that it is OK to be nice to people to achieve success.
    tmay
  • Reply 4 of 4
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    This is a great show, and I don't know that it belongs in the same category as it's competition. There should be a "feel good" category for it to compete in.

The entire cast is excellent, the writing sharp and clever and so many scenes are just brilliant. I was hooked from the first ep, but a little disappointed with the trope of the evil boss lady. But as the show went on, there were little glimpses that she wasn't a she-devil, and we finally see as a result of Ted's unwavering goodness, that she was a deeply hurt person fighting for her self's survival, to regain what she had allowed to be taken away. And Waddingham's singing was really terrific.

Even with the various moments of drama, we get to feel good throughout the series, and that's not all that common.

Of course it was great to see Rebecca's arc, but I also liked Jamie Tart in the bonfire scene, and hope he's in Season 2 or 3. We get to invest in all the characters, and that's not very common either.  

Well, except for Rupert. He is a major prick. And Anthony Head is so good at playing one. The "Rebecca, Rebecca... Rebecca, Rebecca" bit really made me laugh.

"Barbecue sauce."