Apple Maps 'Look Around' feature now available for Portland, San Diego

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has expanded its Apple Maps "Look Around" feature to include San Diego, California and Portland, Oregon.

Apple's rival to Google's Street View, Look Around, provides users with the ability to look at a street from eye-level. Not all areas of the world are accessible with the feature, but Apple is rolling it out into new locations on a gradual basis.

In a new update spotted by Justin O'Beirne, Apple has expanded Look Around to include San Diego and Portland.

In December, Apple rolled out a similar Look Around update for Denver, Detroit, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale.

Previously in October, Phoenix, Arizona also gained Look Around support.

The feature was initially spotted in the iOS 13 beta, but has since made its way to both iOS and macOS builds of Apple Maps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Boy, wish I knew what was taking so long. It was years ago those Apple SUVs cruised around my city.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I have this fantasy that they are still working on automating the process perfectly and one day soon they'll just turn it on everywhere at once. I have odd fantasies.
    StrangeDaysbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Boy, wish I knew what was taking so long. It was years ago those Apple SUVs cruised around my city.

Google’s “Street View” took nearly a decade to get where it’s at. It’s only been a couple of years since Apple debuted their “Look Around” feature. And it is probably much more computationally intensive as they’re also incorporating LIDAR data for 3D mapping.

I’d be interested to know what Apple is doing with all that data being collected; GPS, compass, visual, 3D map, etc... Could be used to create a virtual world world for testing things like AR and autonomous driving, not to mention machine learning of real world objects and scene recognition, etc.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member

Google’s “Street View” took nearly a decade to get where it’s at. It’s only been a couple of years since Apple debuted their “Look Around” feature. And it is probably much more computationally intensive as they’re also incorporating LIDAR data for 3D mapping.

True enough but Google repeatedly updated the street view. The street where I used to live was updated easily 3-4 times during that time. But there are places Google never made it to, like Zip 98281 (Point Roberts, Washington) where I have a second property.