'iPhone 13' more likely to get improved ultra-wide camera, says Kuo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
While Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo isn't certain that the "iPhone 13" will get a better Ultra-Wide camera lens, new developments in the supply chain suggest that there is a better chance that it will happen.

Lens assembly in the iPhone 12 Pro

In a note to investors, seen by AppleInsider, TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says that China-based lens manufacturer Sunny Optical has completed Apple's validation process on the existing iPad Pro camera lens. This lens is expected to ship in what remains of the first calendar quarter, and total about 15% of Apple's full demand for the product.

However, what the company has learned in the process may make it a supplier for the previously rumored 7P lens with improved wide-angle performance intended for the new iPhone in the fall of 2021. This may push Apple over the top for what it needs to include the lens without it being a pinch-point for assemblies.

Previous rumors suggested that the "iPhone 13" family would have four models, similar to the iPhone 12. As far as lenses go, Kuo has also previously predicted that the two higher-end "iPhone 13" models will feature an Ultra Wide lens that is f/1.8. Instead of the current fixed 13mm focal length, the "iPhone 13" is also rumored to include variable autofocus.

Kuo expects Sunny Optical's production of the iPad lens would pressure existing supplier Largan. Historically, Apple likes more than one supplier for a part where it can get it, in part to keep costs down, and to prevent supply chain issues if production falters from a single supplier.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Mr. Kuo, you may be right about this because it is expected evolution but you were dead wrong on your prediction on Apple Car 7-8 years in future.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    As far as lenses go, Kuo has also previously predicted that the two higher-end "iPhone 13" models will feature an Ultra Wide lens that is f/1.8. Instead of the current fixed 13mm focal length, the "iPhone 13" is also rumored to include variable autofocus.

So this paragraph mixed stuff up.
    A new lens can differ in
    - Aperture (fixed or variable through the use of an iris e.g. f1.8)
    - Focal length (fixed or zoom, e.g. 13mm in 35mm-Film equivalent)
    - focusing method (choice of fixed, manual or auto focus)

The phrase “
     Instead of the current fixed 13mm focal length, the ‘iPhone 13’ is also rumored to include variable autofocus.” is utterly meaningless.

The phone could have instead of a fixed 13mm focal length a zoom lens with a variable focal length.
    Or it could go from fixed focus (employing depth of field and possibly deconvolution to ensure sharpness) to using autofocus.
    It could do both, and on top of that it could get a bigger aperture.
    But as phrased, it jumbles up three independent concepts into a meaningless mess of two sentences.

So: exactly WHAT are the differences supposed to be between iPhone 12 and iPhone 13? And which model iPhone are we talking about anyway? Mini, regular, Pro, Pro Max?
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 3 of 8
    maybe I'm just a trash photographer, but I think these ultra-wide lenses on the iPhone and iPhone Mini are such a bummer. Would much rather have wide and telephoto.
    muthuk_vanalingamiHy
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Well, the one thing that always happens with a new iPhone is an improved camera.......
    iHy
  • Reply 5 of 8
    The 12 if I recall was upgraded - I would have bought an 11 if the UW had been sharper & had less chromatic abberation. I have not looked at the 12 if there are any definitive tests, and am still using the Zeiss Exolens with pin sharp results...
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Square image sensors might capture the most substantial functionality increase.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    IMO wide angle is pretty useless. A 10x zoom is much more useful.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    It’s already quite remarkable with what it does have. A new feature that I would appreciate more would be smoothing of zooming. Possibly largely software-based and whatever hardware tweaks need to be accomplished to facilitate that towards the more professional audience.