Apple pauses 'Apple Car' talks with Hyundai, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2021
Apple's discussions with Hyundai and Kia about building an electric "Apple Car" were put on pause recently, according to a new report.

Credit: Kia
Credit: Kia

Apple was upset about Hyundai's announcement that it was in talks to join the electric car project, Bloomberg reported. Earlier in January, Hyundai -- and its subsidiary Kia -- backed away from the statement.

It's not clear if or when the discussions might resume. There are internal disagreements within Hyundai that could derail the plans, with one person saying there is a "dispute" about whether Hyundai or Kia will get to produce the Apple autonomous vehicle.

A report from January indicated that Hyundai executives are still mulling whether it's worth the risks to take on Apple as a customer.

If the talks do resume, Kia is expected to be the more likely choice. It's seeking to build an Apple car at its plant in Georgia.

A source told Bloomberg that Apple has also been discussing similar plans with other automakers, but did not name any names. Apple is also said to be in talks with multiple Japanese carmakers.

The vehicle is rumored to be built on Hyundai's E-GMP electric vehicle platform, with Hyundai chipping in with component design and production.

Earlier in February, Apple was said to be nearing a deal with Kia on a $3.6 billion investment to bring the Apple self-driving car to life.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    How dumb are these companies?? If you’re in talks with Apple, do your research, realize they’re notoriously secretive, and shut your damn mouth!
    lollivern2itivguylongpathDogpersonteejay2012flyingdpkingofsomewherehotcaladanianpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 60
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    Apple is also said to be in talks with multiple Japanese carmakers
    That is certainly a relief to hear!  Such would help ensure Apple a place in the world's third largest economy.  That doesn't mean smoothly sailing though because I've only rarely seen a Tesla here and there on the roads in central Japan.  But it's better than ZERO, which is the case for Hyundai or Kia cars in Japan.  It would also ensure the highest standard of build quality moving forward.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    jdw said:
    That is certainly a relief to hear!  Such would help ensure Apple a place in the world's third largest economy.  That doesn't mean smoothly sailing though because I've only rarely seen a Tesla here and there on the roads in central Japan.  But it's better than ZERO, which is the case for Hyundai or Kia cars in Japan.  It would also ensure the highest standard of build quality moving forward.
    Hyundai/kia aren't exactly 2nd rate cars, and not all Japanese cars are stellar. More importantly for me, the Toyota dealers around here are have horrible service. 
    GeorgeBMacejr1959elijahgkingofsomewherehotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 60
    You talk. Apple walks.
    It's always been thus.

The PPE and MBE platforms from VW Group makes a lot more sense to me.
    n2itivguywelshdogapplguydbvaporcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 60
    When will they ever learn... such dumbola companies...
    n2itivguypscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 60
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    iadlib said:
    How dumb are these companies?? If you’re in talks with Apple, do your research, realize they’re notoriously secretive, and shut your damn mouth!
    Maybe the person who leaked was one of those who didn’t want the deal.
    qwerty52longpathwelshdogJWSCflyingdpjdb8167pscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 60
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    The first rule of negotiating with Apple is don’t talk about negotiations with Apple
    longpathRayz2016StrangeDayscaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 60
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    If Apple is going to produce a car, I hope it's better looking that what Tesla has done so far (except maybe for the upcoming roadster).

The Teslas look a little unfinished to me, as though some one took them from the drawing board to production a couple of days too soon. The artist concepts above actually look nicer that any of the Teslas.

gregoriusmJanNLdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 60
    crowley said:
    iadlib said:
    Exactly what I thought, when I was reading the article.
    longpathwelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 60
    This means 2025 eta will prob be pushed out further... I can’t get over a Kia apple car though... it’s a Kia vehicle at the end of the day.
    Dogpersonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 60
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    jdw said:
    I wouldn’t read too much into Korean auto quality based upon not seeing any Korean cars on the roads in Japan.  Japan and Korea actively discriminate against each other in business, as well as socially and culturally.  Too much bitter history for the two otherwise modern nations to overcome.
    longpathGeorgeBMacelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 60
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    JWSC said:
    jdw said:
    I wouldn’t read too much into Korean auto quality based upon not seeing any Korean cars on the roads in Japan.  Japan and Korea actively discriminate against each other in business, as well as socially and culturally.  Too much bitter history for the two otherwise modern nations to overcome.spartadata said:
    This means 2025 eta will prob be pushed out further... I can’t get over a Kia apple car though... it’s a Kia vehicle at the end of the day.
    You did not mind your iPhone is made by Foxconn, right?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 60
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    crowley said:
    iadlib said:
    Or, just maybe, Hyundai/Kia were intentional pawns in Apple’s dealings with VW and others to drive a better deal.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 60
    To be blunt, whomever winds up making what is sounding more and more like a glorified robotaxi really doesn’t matter. This first generation product sounds less and less like a consumer facing product by the day.

That being said, I’m hardly the darling choice of any auto manufacturer, as my daily is a 2006, and it was a 2004 until my family was literally given a hand me down 2011. I look for a car that is still viable after two decades, preferably three.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 60
    It can be also that the original leak comes from the other companies bidding for the work.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN29P051

we should not believe all the marketing info the companies share with us. Is like believing in politicians.
    longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 60
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The rumor mill pump-and-dump. And the beat goes on. Did anyone with half a brain not see this rumor coming? Hyundai blabs and Apple steps back? Classic self fulfilling rumor milll stuff and the blogs slurp it up. “Sources” and “Reports” are what reality is these days? Gimme a break.
    edited February 2021 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 60
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    The first rule of Apple Club is don’t talk about Apple Club. 

And if you do talk about it, don’t go around whining about how maybe you don’t really want to be in it in the first place. 

I hope they go with either Honda or GM — no reason other than personal sentimental favorites.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 60
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Apple don't like to talk about the product until all ducks are properly in raw. Hyundai should have asked LG,Samsung to learn how to work and relationship expectation of Apple with it's suppliers,partners,etc..
    edited February 2021 danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 60
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    iadlib said:

Why?  Because Apple said to?

From a Hyundai perspective, they either enter to an agreement as equal partners or they don't.   Either way, Apple doesn't get to dictate how that company conducts its business and, for most companies, unless there is an actual need for secrecy, transparency prevails.
    elijahg
  • Reply 20 of 60
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    jdw said:
    Hyundai/kia aren't exactly 2nd rate cars, and not all Japanese cars are stellar. More importantly for me, the Toyota dealers around here are have horrible service. 

My experience with Toyota Service as well.   I trusted them but found them ripping me off -- the same happened the last time (only time) I took my Accord to a Honda dealer:   $550 for a simple replacement of a $50 part -- and a repair that should have been done under recall.

Generally for service (whether home or auto) I look for owner / operator businesses now.  I've found that they tend to be both better and more honest in their work.
    DogpersonJWSCflyingdpcaladanian