Renault touted as great potential Apple Car partner by analyst

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2021
Apple has other options available for it to find a manufacturing partner for the Apple Car, J.P. Morgan proposes, with Renault suggested as a potential match.

Apple is reportedly on the search for another company to assist it in bringing the Apple Car to life. While recent reports indicate one match-up with Hyundai has faltered early, a J.P. Morgan analyst has offered another suggestion in the form of Renault.

Renault already has an alliance with Nissan, with the two being strategic partners since 1999 and controlling ten major brands, the note seen by AppleInsider reads. This theoretically makes Renault a partner that may be more willing to work with Apple than Hyundai, which "agonized" over negotiations.

The firm believes there's a few reasons Renault cold be attractive to Apple, including its existing "excellent track record in contract manufacturing and industrial collaboration."

A key element is Renault's production capacity, which allegedly has over a million units of excess capacity in Europe alone. This "clearly could be utilized with Apple coming on board," the note states.

This would be far more than the capacities mentioned in the reports of the Apple-Hyundai partnership. In those talks, there was mention of an initial capacity of 100,000 cars per year, with a maximum of 400,000 units per annum.

There is also the matter of Apple's famous control over supply chains. "Renault most likely would allow Apple to have significant flexibility in choosing the specific supply chain for the project," J.P. Morgan states.

This may be more flexibility on offer than other OEMs, it goes on, which are "more keen to sell a specific dedicated architecture to Apple, which in turn could limit Apple's software design for the car."

The Renault-Nissan partnership would also open up the opportunity for global vehicle production. It is said to have manufacturing connections spanning key regions of Europe, China, North America, Latin America, and wider Asia, giving it considerable reach.

It is unknown if Apple has talked to Renault at this stage of the process. Aside from Hyundai, Apple has apparently talked to at least six Japanese auto makers.

There is also the suggestion the UK government could throw its hat into the ring to secure manufacturing jobs from Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Renault would not be a good fit
    aderutter
  • Reply 2 of 29
    ionicle said:
    Of course it would be! They already have an amazing electric car, the Zoe, that has Musk really worried.
    They also have a long track record of shipping amazingly designed, highly reliable cars.
    /s
    fotoformattokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Renault pulled out of the North American market decades ago. I had a 1966 Renault Dauphine while in high school. It was fun but constantly troublesome.
    dave marshlongpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    When you think luxury or desirable car you never think Renault.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    You shouldn’t drink and drive. The french make good wine but not good cars!
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
     Renault's production capacity... allegedly has over a million units of excess capacity in Europe alone”

Wait - the fact that their cars don’t sell well and they have let the factory sit idle is a reason Apple should partner with them? Seems like a reason to stay away!
    longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Uqggh.  A part breaks and it takes months to arrive and costs the GDP of a small country.

And it’s French. The spare capacity tells you all you need to know.
    Pity someone at Hyundai blabbed, as I actually reckon it’s would be a better fit than Renault.
    edited February 2021 ramanpfafflongpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    MplsP said:
    Well,  I would have no problem at all having a Bugatti in my garage...
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    It is unknown if Apple has talked to Renault at this stage of the process. Aside from Hyundai, Apple has apparently talked to at least six Japanese auto makers.
    There have also been stories in the past of Apple talking with BMW and I think other companies as well. Hyundai just seems to be the only one to come right out and talk about it. 

It will be interesting to see what direction they end up going. Hopefully the rumours that they will announce something early this year turn out to be true. But I'm not holding my breath on that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    ionicle said:
    Of course it would be! They already have an amazing electric car, the Zoe, that has Musk really worried.
    They also have a long track record of shipping amazingly designed, highly reliable cars.
    /s

you forgot to mention the unbeatable customer service and high quality interiors!
    longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    lkrupp said:
    Renault pulled out of the North American market decades ago. I had a 1966 Renault Dauphine while in high school. It was fun but constantly troublesome.
    My Dad had a used Renault Dauphine he let me drive in high school in the early 60s.  It was a very light weight but fun car for a new driver with lots of quirky features our main American car didn’t have.  Thanks for the flash from the past.  Fun memories!
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    No matter who Apple will partner with, the cars will be built at Apple’s standard. That alone will be a great lesson to learn by car manufacturer. 

It’s not like Apple will not have “requirements” on quality of materials to be used. 

My concern is when it will come out and how it is going to be differentiated from other BEVs currently on the market. All the rumors going around are just that, rumors. I want to see the final product and what it can do. 
    lolliverlongpathroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    An Apple car manufactured by Renault certainly would be no worse from a quality perspective compared to what Tesla has been producing. I know nothing about the Renault EV platform but Apple may be supplying a platform design/technology and is just looking for a manufacturer.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    M68000 said:
    Of course not. With its Italian heritage...

But Renault? Ugh. Ooh, what about Citroen? GAck!

Hold on, this just in....Apple is in talks to bring back the Yugo...
    mobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    M68000 said:

Peugeot, that’s the ticket!
    bshank
  • Reply 16 of 29
    No matter who Apple will partner with, the cars will be built at Apple’s standard. That alone will be a great lesson to learn by car manufacturer. 

It’s not like Apple will not have “requirements” on quality of materials to be used. 

My concern is when it will come out and how it is going to be differentiated from other BEVs currently on the market. All the rumors going around are just that, rumors. I want to see the final product and what it can do. 
    At this point, the biggest differentiation appears to be the inability to drive it, meaning that the 1st generation car is being alleged to be entirely driverless. For me, this allegation is a showstopper, regardless of how many partners Apple chooses for their supply chain and who they are. Frankly, all the work that Apple has put into AR was the reason I was intrigued by the prospect of an Apple BEV; but, if there is no way to drive it, then I'll wait to see if a future generation is more inclusive. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    French cars suck. French workers are constantly on strike. I like Volkswagen (Seat, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini), a company with some 100 factories in 27 countries, also in China and Brasil. The new all electric VW ID3 and ID4 have a good range (unlike the Renault Zoe that barely gets you to the end of the street) and get great reviews as a car, but the UI sucks so terribly that people are already dumping them, I hear. It would be a perfect match with Apple. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    No no and no. 

A French car company?! Did I say no no and no?
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    M68000 said:
    MplsP said:
    That’s Italian.  🍝 🍷 🚗 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 29
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    lkrupp said:
    M68000 said:

Peugeot, that’s the ticket!
    Don’t forget Citroën.  The ugly stepsister wouldn’t want to be left out.
    watto_cobra