Hyundai burned by 'Apple Car' negotiation disclosure walk-backs and reframes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    AB101AB101 Posts: 27member
    https://www.motor1.com/news/486924/kia-cv-electric-crossover-debut/

Looks like second rate junk car manufacturer will have a EV out years before Apple does.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    AB101 said:
    If Apple are epitome of car manufacturers, they should have no issues building their own car. Why give Apple any help whatsoever?
    Network of dealers/warrantee shops. This could be as an optional service from privately owned dealers or as with Cadillac - mandatory (they are going all electric) with some Cadillac Dealers choosing not to carry the brand.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    AB101AB101 Posts: 27member
    h2p said:
    AB101 said:
    If Apple are epitome of car manufacturers, they should have no issues building their own car. Why give Apple any help whatsoever?
    Network of dealers/warrantee shops. This could be as an optional service from privately owned dealers or as with Cadillac - mandatory (they are going all electric) with some Cadillac Dealers choosing not to carry the brand.
    There will need to be some electric cars that are actually for the masses, not just the classes.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Apple should avoid the uk like the plague. Their car industry is plagued with unions and strikes. 
    Unions and collective bargaining are great, they're how the working labor class keep a fair playing field w/ the billionaire class. Unions are good for the economy, and when they go away so does the middle-class. It's only the PR campaign of the millionaire & billionaire class that has convinced some of the working class that unions are bad. It's bonkers. 

Why do you think pro league athletes all have unions? 

But not the salaries of the union executives. What is happening is that we let unions get too big. Too remote from the shop floor. Their head offices ended up being infested with college and university graduates more interested in a political career than the concerns of the people they pretended to represent. Hardly any of the Union leadership these days is from the shop floor, a worker before they became a delegate. And those that do aren’t the ladder climbers that control the purpose of the Union. 

what we have today is a happy little convenient relationship (a triumpherate, if you will) between Big Business and Big Union, aided and abetted by Big Government to further the personal interests of the creatures that control them. The three of them hang out together, intermarry, rig the system for themselves and politicise together in a class that does not concern themselves with the little people beyond their usefulness as a rhetorical device.

the reason people have left unions is because unions left them first.
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 25 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    AB101 said:

Looks like second rate junk car manufacturer will have a EV out years before Apple does.
    Even EV sceptics like the Electric Kona. Price isn’t outrageous and make a great commuter car.
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Surprise, surprise. I'm sure Apple wanted everything, like they always do. It was a smart decision by Hyundai/Kia to back out. 
  • Reply 27 of 35
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Hyundai worrying that association with Apple would damage their brand image.  Ha ha ha ha ha!  Tell me another one.
    MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 35
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Apple should avoid the uk like the plague. Their car industry is plagued with unions and strikes. 
    Unions and collective bargaining are great, they're how the working labor class keep a fair playing field w/ the billionaire class. Unions are good for the economy, and when they go away so does the middle-class. It's only the PR campaign of the millionaire & billionaire class that has convinced some of the working class that unions are bad. It's bonkers. 

We are so not aware of how much of 'wise economic policy' is really what billionaires have paid university departments and policy think tanks to ram down everyone's throats.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    AB101 said:

Yeah, kinda like how Nokia and Blackberry had smartphones out years before Apple did. 
    MacProargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    I think Apple should just buy Tesla... and make AppleCar the car to buy for the future... along with Apple electric car-charging stations everywhere.

edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 35

You know, I charted average life expectancy and union membership over the same period. 

Guess what I found? :-O
  • Reply 32 of 35
    I don’t see any significant evidence on this story.   Almost no substance — which is unfortunately a requirement when dealing with rumors and company innuendo. 

But what bugs me the most is the headline of this story. This is why editors are needed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 35
    stevenoz said:
    I think Apple should just buy Tesla... and make AppleCar the car to buy for the future... along with Apple electric car-charging stations everywhere.

Elon already tried to sell it to them back in 2013 and Tim wasn't interested..

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/dec/23/elon-musk-i-tried-to-sell-tesla-to-apple
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Apple could do a lot worse than to talk with Magna, a high-quality full-service contract manufacturer that makes high-quality vehicles for many auto companies, currently including BMW, Daimler, Jaguar Land Rover and Toyota. It is likely to be a better corporate culture fit for Apple than Hyundai/Kia.
    https://www.magna.com/products/complete-vehicles/complete-vehicle-manufacturing
    And which has facilities all over the world.
    https://www.magna.com/company/company-information/global-reach
    I can't believe they aren't talking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 35
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    GG1 said:
    MacPro said:
    This sounds very familiar.  Nvidia made the same mistake.
    Exactly. If you're not serious about a potential business deal, you don't mention PUBLICLY that you're on the fence about it. Especially concerning Apple.
    Hyundai didn't publicly announce anything other than the fact that they were approached by Apple and had engaged in preliminary discussions. 

All the other nonsense alleged by AI and other publications is based on anonymous sources, and 99% of it is probably garbage. 
    watto_cobra