North Dakota Senate debates breaking Apple's App Store monopoly

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    danvm said:
    MplsP said:
    JWSC said:
    Putting aside the merits of this legislation, questionable though they may be, I’m not sure this can be done at the state level.  Interstate commerce remains the realm of the federal Government.

It would be enlightening to know who is behind this legislative push.  As Deepthroat would have said, “Follow the money.”
    My thoughts exactly. The other question is why an xbox console is any different from a phone, other than some legislator got a campaign donation from Microsoft.
    There are a few differences.  For example, a console is not a general purpose device, as an iPhone / iPad.  Second, as today, console users are not forced to use the app store, neither the app store payment system.  They can purchase a physical or digital game from a retailer, like Amazon or Walmart.
    It’s been profusely discussed here before: that’s a distinction without a difference! Microsoft and Sony get the same cut from developers. Either as a digital download on their built-in marketplaces, or as a physical copy sold at GameStop.

Without the APIs that Microsoft, Sony, Apple, etc. build and maintain for their devices (at a significant cost) every developer would have to start from scratch with a native app, or just throw their hands up and make a web application (🤢)!
    n2itivguyMplsPMactinturaharawilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    danvm said:
    MplsP said:
    JWSC said:
    Putting aside the merits of this legislation, questionable though they may be, I’m not sure this can be done at the state level.  Interstate commerce remains the realm of the federal Government.

It would be enlightening to know who is behind this legislative push.  As Deepthroat would have said, “Follow the money.”
    My thoughts exactly. The other question is why an xbox console is any different from a phone, other than some legislator got a campaign donation from Microsoft.
    There are a few differences.  For example, a console is not a general purpose device, as an iPhone / iPad.  Second, as today, console users are not forced to use the app store, neither the app store payment system.  They can purchase a physical or digital game from a retailer, like Amazon or Walmart.
    As of today, with a Live account, an X-Box One game console has a browser and can surf the internet. A X-Box One can send and receive eMail. An X-box One can control Smart home devices like a thermostat and cameras. An X-Box One can listen to PodCast. And X-Box One can  access and search You Tube. One can use Skype and video chat, for free. Add a keyboard and mouse to an X-Box One and it will support Office 365 and Zoom. Since the X-Box 360, with a Live account, one can buy and rent movies and stream it to a TV.  One can stream Spotify or Pandora with an X-Box. Even while playing a game. 

You must be thinking of the game consoles that only plays games on a cartridge or disc. That must have been over 10 years ago.  With an online account, a game console is much, much more than for only playing games. They are as "general purpose" as an iiPad.  And all the apps that allows an X-Box to be more of a general purpose device can only be downloaded through Microsoft.

Don't fall for Epic B.S. that game consoles are vastly different than mobile devices because they are only for playing games and therefore it's okay for Epic to pay them the 30% "tax", for access to game consoles customers and not Apple for access to their iDevice customers. Sweeney is clueless. Don't be like Sweeney.  He thinks it only cost Apple 2-3% to process CC payments through iTunes and it's the only thing the 30% "tax" pays for. 

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18991370.get-zoom-office-xbox-one-ps4/

https://www.windowscentral.com/home-remote-xbox-one

It doesn't matter if X-Box users are not forced to use the Microsoft Store in their X-Box to get contents into it, all contents for an X-Box must go through Microsoft and Microsoft will get paid for it. What? You think a developer can go to Walmart or Amazon and ask them to sell and distribute their X-Box software that is on a physical disc and they are able to bypass paying Microsoft and without a developer license from Microsoft? Get Real. 
    edited February 2021 roundaboutnowjdb8167hammeroftruthuraharawilliamlondoncitylightsappleradarthekaturashidDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    omasouomasou Posts: 573member
    The bill does not mention Apple or Google by name. Instead, it seeks to be applied to any "digital application distribution platform" for general computing, like an iPhone, which earns over $10 million annually from sales in North Dakota.

Wonder how many of those developer side loaded apps will be sure to pay their local tax bills to each state? Not having to dealing with state taxes alone should be worth paying the 30%/15% fees to Apple, Google, etc.

I can imagine the future Apple Genius conversations...umm Sir a new iPhone will cost you $1,000...What do you mean the phone isn't damaged...well you have unapproved software installed and you voided your warranty and I cannot diagnose the phone any further. Anything else that I can help you with? Works for automobile manufactures, should work just fine for device manufactures when wanna be racers "tune" their DMEs. 
    edited February 2021 Mactinturahararadarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    danvm said:
    MplsP said:
    JWSC said:

It’s been profusely discussed here before: that’s a distinction without a difference! Microsoft and Sony get the same cut from developers. Either as a digital download on their built-in marketplaces, or as a physical copy sold at GameStop.

Without the APIs that Microsoft, Sony, Apple, etc. build and maintain for their devices (at a significant cost) every developer would have to start from scratch with a native app, or just throw their hands up and make a web application (🤢)!
    I agree with what you said.  But my comment was in response to the question why a console is different.  And from a gamer / customer POV, is different for the reasons I posted before.  
  • Reply 25 of 44
    davidw said:
    danvm said:
    MplsP said:
    JWSC said:

As of today, with a Live account, an X-Box One game console has a browser and can surf the internet. A X-Box One can send and receive eMail. An X-box One can control Smart home devices like a thermostat and cameras. An X-Box One can listen to PodCast. And X-Box One can  access and search You Tube. One can use Skype and video chat, for free. Add a keyboard and mouse to an X-Box One and it will support Office 365 and Zoom. Since the X-Box 360, with a Live account, one can buy and rent movies and stream it to a TV.  One can stream Spotify or Pandora with an X-Box. Even while playing a game. 
    The list of things you mention still very limited compared to a general purpose device as an iPad / iPhone.  A gaming console is for entertainment purposes, that's the reason you see movies and music / podcast apps in their stores.  And I don't think that you can control smart home devices anymore in the Xbox Series X/S, since there is no support for the Kinect camera, and it was never an option in the PS5, neither the Switch.  
    You must be thinking of the game consoles that only plays games on a cartridge or disc. That must have been over 10 years ago.  With an online account, a game console is much, much more than for only playing games. They are as "general purpose" as an iiPad.  And all the apps that allows an X-Box to be more of a general purpose device can only be downloaded through Microsoft. 
    As today, I haven't seen photo editing apps, developer tools, CAD apps, financial apps, MDM / management tools and other type of apps I'm seeing in my iPad.  Could it be it's because developers and customers only expect games and entertainment apps in their console?  No, consoles aren't as general purpose as iPads.  
    Don't fall for Epic B.S. that game consoles are vastly different than mobile devices because they are only for playing games and therefore it's okay for Epic to pay them the 30% "tax", for access to game consoles customers and not Apple for access to their iDevice customers. Sweeney is clueless. Don't be like Sweeney.  He thinks it only cost Apple 2-3% to process CC payments through iTunes and it's the only thing the 30% "tax" pays for. 

It doesn't matter if X-Box users are not forced to use the Microsoft Store in their X-Box to get contents into it, all contents for an X-Box must go through Microsoft and Microsoft will get paid for it. What? You think a developer can go to Walmart or Amazon and ask them to sell and distribute their X-Box software that is on a physical disc and they are able to bypass paying Microsoft and without a developer license from Microsoft? Get Real. 
    My comment has no relation with the issue Epic has with Apple.   BTW, I don't agree with what Epic did, and since I'm not a developer I don't care about the 30% / 15% fees from the App Store.  If developers and Apple are happy with that, why would be an issue for me?  My comment was pointing out that consoles and iPhone / iPad are different devices, specially from a customer / gamer POV, since they are not forced to use an app store to download their games.  
  • Reply 26 of 44
    jknash said:
    Please don’t do this I don’t want malware and shit on my iPhone if I want that I would get an android... 
    You can easily imagine how this could play out if this law is implemented.

A friend/colleague/contact goes and side loads some dodgy app that has malware such that it corrupts that iPhone and uses it to send malware to those in the Contacts list. 

Apple want to control their device so that these type of scenarios are minimised. It's their device. They allow developers to make money from selling through the Apple app store. Apple have created a massive business opportunity for the developer community (and yes for Apple as well). 

This law and similar discussions around the world is going to damage up what is a well managed and thought out system.
    edited February 2021 radarthekatDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 44
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    danvm said:
    davidw said:
    danvm said:
    MplsP said:
    JWSC said:

The list of things you mention still very limited compared to a general purpose device as an iPad / iPhone.  A gaming console is for entertainment purposes, that's the reason you see movies and music / podcast apps in their stores.  And I don't think that you can control smart home devices anymore in the Xbox Series X/S, since there is no support for the Kinect camera, and it was never an option in the PS5, neither the Switch.  
    As today, I haven't seen photo editing apps, developer tools, CAD apps, financial apps, MDM / management tools and other type of apps I'm seeing in my iPad.  Could it be it's because developers and customers only expect games and entertainment apps in their console?  No, consoles aren't as general purpose as iPads.  

My comment has no relation with the issue Epic has with Apple.   BTW, I don't agree with what Epic did, and since I'm not a developer I don't care about the 30% / 15% fees from the App Store.  If developers and Apple are happy with that, why would be an issue for me?  My comment was pointing out that consoles and iPhone / iPad are different devices, specially from a customer / gamer POV, since they are not forced to use an app store to download their games.  
    You're not looking hard enough. 

https://thewincentral.com/photos-app-available-xbox/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/free-cad-3d-modeling-wuweido/9pnnm0d5s0qf?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

And your iPad is no less limited than a Mac when comparing a game console limits to an iPad. I can list many more software programs available on a Mac or PC than you can apps on your iPad, that are not on a game console. There's also a practicality issue like why would a game console needs apps that uses GPS and why they don't have apps pertaining to business networking functions.  An X-Box is not mobile. And just because there no apps for it on a game console, many functions of apps on an iPad can be done if there's internet access. And the X-Box One has internet access. And just because there's no apps for it on a game console, it doesn't mean that the game console can not be used for those missing apps. Often, it's just a matter of practicality. An remember, when the iPad was first introduce, it was considered nothing but a portable device use for entertainment and personal consumption, not for productivity, like it can be now. 

Even if I don't play games on my iPad. I know many people whose young kids mainly only use their iPads to play games. They couldn't care less about photo editing apps or CAD on their iPads or Google map. To them, their iPad is a portable game console. Plus there's no disc drive on an iDevice of them to install games using a physical disc.

The bottom line is that an X-Box is much more than just a device for playing games on. And Microsoft don't want people to think that the X-Box is just for games and doing their best to add more "general purpose" functions on to an X-Box. The X-Box can actually replace a full blown computer as the hub of a home media center. Something an iPad can never do. Though a Mac Mini is often uses as a home media center, the Mac Mini is a general purpose computer that is more comparable to a game console, than is an iPad. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/255016/how-to-play-video-and-music-files-on-your-xbox-one/

With the X-box One, all games must be downloaded on to the hard drive, in order to play. Even the ones on a physical disc. With many disc sold  for the X-B0x One at retailers, all that is on the disc is the key and the disc must be in the player when playing the game, after downloading it from the Microsoft Store into the X-Box One HD. There's also a version of the X-Box one that don't come with a disc player. All games on those must be downloaded from the Microsoft Store.

It's an illusion, if one thinks that just because on can buy a physical disc for games on an X-Box, that Microsoft do not have a monopoly on how games can be installed into an X-Box. And that somehow, being able to make a physical disc game for an X-Box is more profitable for developers, than to just pay Microsoft the 30% and have it available in the Microsoft Store. What these developers really want is to be able to sell downloadable games that bypasses the retail stores cut and the 30% "tax' that Apple, Microsoft and Sony charges, to access the customers on their platforms. Thus being able to make more profit selling their software on other peoples platform, than the owners that created, maintains and updates those platforms, themselves. How "entitled" is that kind of thinking?   
    williamlondonradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    Will North Dakota arrest tourists (or US citizens) for possessing an iPhone that supports Apple's App Store Guidelines, or will North Dakota simply make it illegal to sell/purchase an iPhone in North Dakota (if Apple refuses to comply)?

I would compare this to North Dakota passing a law demanding that GM sell all its cars with a steering wheel on both sides of the car. GM would simply say no, and would stop selling all cars in ND, and then ND would have to decide wether to arrest tourists and visitors for driving GM cars that have a steering wheel only on the driver's side.

I hope and pray ND goes through with this insanity so we can see the consequences, and the world knows what Apple will do in any jurisdiction that does this. I'm sure Apple is happy it's ND and not NY that's trying this first.

I've been making this argument on this forum for at least a year. I'd love to see my predictions come true.

I thought the only tourist to North Dakota were South Dakota residents?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    danvm said:
    MplsP said:
    JWSC said:

How is a phone a general-purpose device if a games console is not?
    Both have a web browser.
    uraharawilliamlondonradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 44
    I'd be really interested to see who far this goes and who decides what a "special-purpose digital application distribution platform" is? Would this allow me to load Mercedes software in infotainment system in a BMW? 🤣

@NorthDakota - please don't do this!
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 44
    JWSC said:
    So very true. It’s telling that this is happening in a low population state. That’s where people looking to buy legislatures (and US senators, too) get the biggest bang for the buck. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 44
    davidw said:
    danvm said:
    davidw said:
    danvm said:
    MplsP said:
    JWSC said:

You're not looking hard enough. 

https://thewincentral.com/photos-app-available-xbox/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/free-cad-3d-modeling-wuweido/9pnnm0d5s0qf?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

And your iPad is no less limited than a Mac when comparing a game console limits to an iPad. I can list many more software programs available on a Mac or PC than you can apps on your iPad, that are not on a game console. There's also a practicality issue like why would a game console needs apps that uses GPS and why they don't have apps pertaining to business networking functions.  An X-Box is not mobile. And just because there no apps for it on a game console, many functions of apps on an iPad can be done if there's internet access. And the X-Box One has internet access. And just because there's no apps for it on a game console, it doesn't mean that the game console can not be used for those missing apps. Often, it's just a matter of practicality. An remember, when the iPad was first introduce, it was considered nothing but a portable device use for entertainment and personal consumption, not for productivity, like it can be now. 

Even if I don't play games on my iPad. I know many people whose young kids mainly only use their iPads to play games. They couldn't care less about photo editing apps or CAD on their iPads or Google map. To them, their iPad is a portable game console. Plus there's no disc drive on an iDevice of them to install games using a physical disc.

The bottom line is that an X-Box is much more than just a device for playing games on. And Microsoft don't want people to think that the X-Box is just for games and doing their best to add more "general purpose" functions on to an X-Box. The X-Box can actually replace a full blown computer as the hub of a home media center. Something an iPad can never do. Though a Mac Mini is often uses as a home media center, the Mac Mini is a general purpose computer that is more comparable to a game console, than is an iPad. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/255016/how-to-play-video-and-music-files-on-your-xbox-one/
    If you noticed, I mentioned photo editing apps.  And the link you posted mentions that "Albums are created for you automatically, and you can edit them to add a personal touch (PC only)."  And I also tried with my own Xbox, and no, you cannot edit photos with that app.  And regarding the CAD app you posted, it's an UWP app, so it can run in every MS platform and device, like HoloLens and Surface Hub.  Does it means that those are general purpose device because it has a cheap CAD app and a browser?  I don't think so.  When you go to the Xbox App store, there are two categories, Entertainment Apps and Apps for Gamers.  Compare that to the iPhone App store that has 27 categories.  Customers and developers expect a console to be used as a gaming and entertainment device.  And as today I haven't seen an Xbox ad that's not related to gaming.  So MS is selling the Xbox as a gaming/entertainment device, not as a general purpose device.  Very different from an iPhone / iPad.  
    With the X-box One, all games must be downloaded on to the hard drive, in order to play. Even the ones on a physical disc. With many disc sold  for the X-B0x One at retailers, all that is on the disc is the key and the disc must be in the player when playing the game, after downloading it from the Microsoft Store into the X-Box One HD. There's also a version of the X-Box one that don't come with a disc player. All games on those must be downloaded from the Microsoft Store. 

It's an illusion, if one thinks that just because on can buy a physical disc for games on an X-Box, that Microsoft do not have a monopoly on how games can be installed into an X-Box. And that somehow, being able to make a physical disc game for an X-Box is more profitable for developers, than to just pay Microsoft the 30% and have it available in the Microsoft Store. What these developers really want is to be able to sell downloadable games that bypasses the retail stores cut and the 30% "tax' that Apple, Microsoft and Sony charges, to access the customers on their platforms. Thus being able to make more profit selling their software on other peoples platform, than the owners that created, maintains and updates those platforms, themselves. How "entitled" is that kind of thinking?   
    Again, consoles don't force you to buy games from their app store.  From a developer POV, it may not make a difference, since they have to pay the fee to MS, Sony and Nintendo.  But from a customer POV, there are differences.  With a console I can choose to purchase digital or physical.  I can choose to purchase in physical or digital stores like Walmart, GameStop, Best Buy or Amazon.  And can even pay cash in physical store.  Plus I can sell used physical games.  None of that can be done with Apple device.  So definitely there are differences between gaming consoles and Apple devices.  
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 33 of 44
    mattinoz said:
    danvm said:
    MplsP said:
    JWSC said:

How is a phone a general-purpose device if a games console is not?
    Both have a web browser.
    Other MS devices like HoloLens and the Surface Hub have a web browser, and I don't think that because of that, they are general purpose devices.  Plus other consoles, like PlayStation and Switch don't include a browser.  
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 34 of 44
    While I am in favor of non-Apple app stores and side-loading apps, these kind of features should come with some consumer education. Something like: You have to watch a video that explains how your data security can be put at risk before you have to personally authorize the feature. It would be OK if you had to re-authorize the feature every time there is an iOS update. You should lose access to your keychain when the feature is enabled and will have to enter codes every time you buy anything. Apple Pay would be gone. Apple could even prevent you from logging in with your Apple ID. You would basically be crippling your iOS device but it would be your choice to do it.

Why would you choose to cripple your iOS device to get access to a much larger pool of apps? Well perhaps it is not your primary iOS device. How many of you have an old iPhone or iPad in a draw somewhere? Those would be perfect for trying potentially dangerous third party apps. The risks would be the same as owning a no-name Android tablet.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    jknash said:
    Please don’t do this I don’t want malware and shit on my iPhone if I want that I would get an android... 
    So don't do it. The choice would be yours.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    MplsP said:
    JWSC said:

Game consoles are loss-leader devices. Sony actually loses money for every PS5 that they sell. If Sony priced the PS5 with the same mark up that Apple has on the iPhone, it would cost about $1500. For games there are four competing platforms: Playstation, XBox, Nintendo and PCs. PCs are open to third party app stores (Steam for example) and are the largest market in dollar value.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    If Apple makes an Apple Car, and sells $10M worth of Apple Cars inside ND, will North Dakota force Apple to make Android (or side loading) available as an optional entertainment system?

After all, the computer inside an Apple Car would qualify as a "digital application distribution platform." CarPlay already allows digital apps to be distributed on it.

Does ND intend to apply this to all car manufacturers, like Ford and GM, or only to 
    Apple?

I wonder if Ford or GM are already in contravention of this law, since you can probably get Spotify on a Ford or GM entertainment system.

• Reply 38 of 44
    As I said before: let them do it. Let Apple allow as many stores as people like. Just:
    - create a meta-Store not unlike the TV app so you browse in only one location (user centricity)
    - second: set rules that any other store must conduct support, updates, quality assurance, uptime and speed of servers ensure compliance with guidelines etc  such that there is no difference in terms of quality and experience between apps from different stores
    - they must proof these criteria by regular audits  
    - cross charge Apple’s overhead connected to handling multiple stores,

Then let the wallets decide. 

• Reply 39 of 44
    jknash said:
    So don't do it. The choice would be yours.
    Understandable point, but then I would have to advise all my friends and family that there's no more reason to stick with Apple since all vendors are equally dangerous for them. I myself could stay safe, after all I've never had anti-virus software and even so I've never had a virus. However I would be so mad at Apple for allowing third party app stores that I would likely abandon Apple myself.
  • Reply 40 of 44

As I said before: let them do it. Let Apple allow as many stores as people like. Just:
    - create a meta-Store not unlike the TV app so you browse in only one location (user centricity)
    - second: set rules that any other store must conduct support, updates, quality assurance, uptime and speed of servers ensure compliance with guidelines etc  such that there is no difference in terms of quality and experience between apps from different stores
    - they must proof these criteria by regular audits  
    - cross charge Apple’s overhead connected to handling multiple stores,

Then let the wallets decide. 

I need clarification on your idea. How is Apple going to fund all the additional work you are suggesting that Apple undertake here? Where will the money come from for all the additional work by Apple? Would Apple have to raise the prices of iPhones? And are you suggesting that Apple itself would have the ability to punish third party app stores who violate the rules? What would the punishments consist of? Could Apple remove apps form the third party app stores? Could Apple remove the third party app stores? There are so many questions that your proposal doesn't address.