Facebook developing smartwatch with health, messaging features

Posted:
in General Discussion
Facebook is reportedly developing a smartwatch with both health and messaging features in an apparent bid to compete with the Apple Watch.

Credit: Facebook
Credit: Facebook

Citing sources familiar with the project, The Information reports that the device could run an open-source version of Android to start, but adds that Facebook is also developing its own operating system for future wearables.

The Facebook watch is said to focus on health and messaging. It could integrate tightly with Facebook's existing Messenger platform and would place particular emphasis on social networking -- including a focus on "quick interactions" with other users.

On the health side, the device could allow users to track workouts, communicate with trainers, and possibly connect to existing services like Peloton. Additionally, the device will feature cellular connectivity so that it can function without a nearby smartphone.

To gain market share in a segment dominated by the Apple Watch, Facebook may offer its smartwatch close to the cost to produce it. The device could debut in 2022, with a second generation possibly arriving the following year.

Although development on the watch is "far along," there's still a chance Facebook could push back release or scrap the project.

The Information notes that Facebook's "spotty track record with user privacy" could cause blowback from consumers, particularly since the smartwatch would integrate with health and fitness services.

Although primarily known for social networking, Facebook currently offers a few consumer products, including the Oculus virtual reality headset and the Portal video chatting device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Because their phone was such a success, this watch will be as well? I wonder who their target audience is?
    gregoriusmplastico23MactintanantksundaramwilliamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Just pretending for a moment that they had the UI acumen and industrial design necessary to design the device, there's still the problem of the Apple S6 CPU. There's nothing else like it on the market. The best performing Qualcomm CPU in that watt range has nowhere close to the performance. Personally, I think this is why Google has more or less ceded the market… they literally can't make an equivalent wearable without hardware that they can't design and money can't buy.
    lkruppgregoriusmplastico23Mactintanantksundaramfotoformatbageljoeywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 47
    Bring on the heat.  Apple's watch is fancy, trendy, and powerful, but Google's FitBit has been very resourceful, and in many respects, more usable.  If Facebook's watch can last at least 4 days on a single charge like the FitBit, it has a chance at eating some smart watch market on the advantage of efficiency alone.  I'm sorry for any iWatch user that must charge their watch every 24 hours...don't we have enough to manage in life?
    williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 47
    “… scrap the project”. Please. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 47
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    Perfect. Can’t you see it now - as soon as you have an episode of a fib you start getting inundated with ads for Xarelto....
    DogpersonbadmonkJaiOh81fred1lkruppmobirdjon@ilujonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 47
    jblongz said: I'm sorry for any iWatch user that must charge their watch every 24 hours...don't we have enough to manage in life?
    I use  Watch and I take my  Watch off each night and place it on my nightstand on a wireless charger. I do not find this difficult to manage. You find it difficult to remember the name  Watch so placing it on a wireless charger may be hard for you to manage.
    edited February 2021 robin hubermwhiteDogpersonlongpathplastico23anantksundaramzeus423fotoformatsedicivalvoleRayz2016
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Not until  Hell freezes over ill put one on.   To think of it  not even then.
    Zuckerberg   on the wrist at every glance.. LOL.... i cant even handle seeing  his pics once a week in an article or etc. 
    Dogpersonviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Goodie!

More user data to sell.
    chasmanantksundaramzeus423fred1watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Remember the Facebook phone? This will meet the same fate.
    plastico23anantksundaramzeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 47
    jblongz said:
    Bring on the heat.  Apple's watch is fancy, trendy, and powerful, but Google's FitBit has been very resourceful, and in many respects, more usable.  If Facebook's watch can last at least 4 days on a single charge like the FitBit, it has a chance at eating some smart watch market on the advantage of efficiency alone.  I'm sorry for any iWatch user that must charge their watch every 24 hours...don't we have enough to manage in life?
    Quick and easy, i put on charger while taking a shower....done. Go to the gym or ride a bike w/o my max iphone....done
    anantksundaramselleringtonRayz2016beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 47
    To quote Sting, 
    “Every breath you take
    And every move you make
    Every bond you break
    Every step you take
    I'll be watching you“.
    That’s the first thing that crossed my mind when I read the headline.
    DogpersonJaiOh81plastico23zeus423selleringtonviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 47
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    How many insurance companies are looking forward to this?!
    chasm12Strangerswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 47
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    As if Facebook didn't get slapped hard after trying their Facebook Phone, they're going to try to compete with a watch?

The thought of FB's notorious data-collection practices should give people pause to buy any physical product from Facebook.
    fotoformatwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 47
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,844member
    jblongz said:
    Ha Ha Ha... like the Pixel phone or the Microsoft Surface? Both are placeholders, and FitBits is that a Nest device?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 47
    By all means, let this be true. I’d love for them to present this as a loss leader, thinking it will go somewhere, while they hemorrhage funds and their monetization of their user base becomes even more obvious, not to be confused with their customer base.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Has facebook ever come up with a new innovative product or just borrowed from others? from MySpace to their watch. I’m sure there’s something I just don’t recall it right now. 
    anantksundaramviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 47
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Unless you are certifiably insane, DO NOT give Facebook ANY medical data about yourself. Not through posts on FB, not through Instagram, not through messages on WhatsApp, and certainly not by strapping a medical data-mining device onto your wrist! That data, along with everything else FB collects, will be sold to insurers, hospitals, Big Pharma, the Russians, and other unworthy lowlifes.j

I really wish people were smarter about this stuff. Look at everything these non-Apple tech companies do to get your data -- you'd think more of the public would work out that such data is waaaaaaay more valuable than the baubles they're given in exchange for it, and demand much higher rates before permission is granted. But noooooo, we're not that smart apparently.

Other countries with real privacy policies are that smart. But not us.
    Mactintqwerty52longpathDogpersonbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 47
    chasm said:
    Unless you are certifiably insane, DO NOT give Facebook ANY medical data about yourself. Not through posts on FB, not through Instagram, not through messages on WhatsApp, and certainly not by strapping a medical data-mining device onto your wrist! That data, along with everything else FB collects, will be sold to insurers, hospitals, Big Pharma, the Russians, and other unworthy lowlifes.j

I really wish people were smarter about this stuff. Look at everything these non-Apple tech companies do to get your data -- you'd think more of the public would work out that such data is waaaaaaay more valuable than the baubles they're given in exchange for it, and demand much higher rates before permission is granted. But noooooo, we're not that smart apparently.

Other countries with real privacy policies are that smart. But not us.
    People are not. Facebook’s never ending data thirst and lack of morals plus the Pharmacy industry will partner and exploit people’s health till the very last drop. 
    longpathDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 47
    jblongz said:

Do not tell me how many days the battery of your Fitbit last, tell me what it is capable to do in comparison to Apple Watch. Not much I am afraid...... So no wonder if it is “very resourceful”
    gregoriusmchadbagzeus423fotoformatselleringtonlongpathrossb2Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 47
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Is it April already?

AI is now competing with The Onion or Babylon Bee?
    zeus423longpathwatto_cobra