Zuckerberg wants to 'inflict pain' on Apple for privacy changes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    I’ve had a Facebook account since 2007 but I left every one of their platforms last year and never looked back. Sure, connecting with family and friends is marginally more difficult but my mental health is much better and I’m not feeding their “outrage-for-profit” model with my data. 
    yuniverseviclauyycbaconstangGabyGG1argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 76
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Desperation is a stinky cologne. 
    narwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 76
    heli0s said:
    I’ve had a Facebook account since 2007 but I left every one of their platforms last year and never looked back. Sure, connecting with family and friends is marginally more difficult but my mental health is much better and I’m not feeding their “outrage-for-profit” model with my data. 
    I’m about a year behind you, having closed Facebook and Instagram last month. Quality of life is already improving.
    radarthekatGG1argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 76
    JinTech said:

"Apple claims this is about privacy, but it's about profit, and we're joining others to point out their self-preferencing anti-competitive nature," Lever added.  
    Wow, The irony here. Facebook is about making profits from being insecure, and sure, Apple is making profits about being secure. Who would I rather trust here? I think the choice is rather obvious!  :D :D

Exactly, I intended to use just the same arguments.

Appleinsider said : “However, while Facebook is publicly attacking Apple's privacy initiatives,
    a profile into the spat between the two tech titans hints it has rumbled along for a few years already.”

I am wondering what kind of tech titan could Facebook be? Do they ever successfully created any hardware product, capable to compete with Apple’s products? I don’t think so..... For me the only thing where Facebook is a really titan, is spying on the users and
    selling their privacy data.
    hydrogenJinTechDogpersonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 76
    DAalseth said:
    The board should pay attention, these kinds of directives don't usually align with growth.
    Given the chairman of the board is person making the comments I don’t imagine they care. 
    In most companies the board can replace the chairman with cause. In this case I think Z still holds a majority of the stock so it would be tougher to do. However Z has been becoming increasingly erratic and shrill. IMO he is just one perceived personal slight away from doing something really damaging to the company. He's never been a great businessman, just lucky and unethical. At some point that's going to catch up to him.
    Zuckerberg really is a more shrill and far less elegant version of Elliot Carver, the megalomaniac from Tomorrow Never Dies.
    longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 76

“They’re breaking my toy!” 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 76
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    The board should pay attention, these kinds of directives don't usually align with growth.
    Given the chairman of the board is person making the comments I don’t imagine they care. 
    In most companies the board can replace the chairman with cause. In this case I think Z still holds a majority of the stock so it would be tougher to do. However Z has been becoming increasingly erratic and shrill. IMO he is just one perceived personal slight away from doing something really damaging to the company. He's never been a great businessman, just lucky and unethical. At some point that's going to catch up to him.
    Yes, but I’m guessing you haven’t looked at the brain trust that is the Facebook board of directors. 
    A fair point. Z likely wouldn't surround himself with mental giants would he.
    baconstangargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 76
    heli0s said:
    I've closed and deleted my FB account. I'm still on Instagram because that's where a number of artists that I follow post their stuff and I post my art there too. However I'm reading more and more comments from them that the new algorithms are becoming impossible to work with. If they don't post very regularly, and get a lot of likes for every post they don't get promoted in people's feeds. Even people subscribing to them start missing content. It's becoming unworkable. A number are openly talking about jumping ship. Cartoonists are going to Webtoon and Tapas. Even Tumblr in some cases. If this continues I'll likely close my account too. I already cross post to other sites. 
    longpathradarthekatargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 76
    DAalseth said:
    heli0s said:
    I've closed and deleted my FB account. I'm still on Instagram because that's where a number of artists that I follow post their stuff and I post my art there too. However I'm reading more and more comments from them that the new algorithms are becoming impossible to work with. If they don't post very regularly, and get a lot of likes for every post they don't get promoted in people's feeds. Even people subscribing to them start missing content. It's becoming unworkable. A number are openly talking about jumping ship. Cartoonists are going to Webtoon and Tapas. Even Tumblr in some cases. If this continues I'll likely close my account too. I already cross post to other sites. 
    As mentioned by others many times before: there is no thing as a free lunch / if the product is for free then you are the product etc. 
    while being aware of this, at the time I signed up for FB as well as WhatsApp. 
    And it didn’t disturb me to be the product back then. What changed over time were two things:
    a) realizing how much my data apparently is worth and how ruthless the last bit of information is being squeezed out and used - much more than I thought at the time. 
    b) that either Z has no ethics at all, or is too underdeveloped to have any. 

Happily living without either app since long time now. 

yuniversebaconstangqwerty52radarthekatGG1williamlondonargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 76
    Facebook has already inflicted pain - on those who use the service. 

Respect people’s privacy. Don’t try to hurt those who defend it. Basic human goodness. 

If your business model depends on spying, then your business model sucks and isn’t viable. Create a new model 

but don’t get mad and try to hurt another company that is standing up for what is right. 

That makes you the bad guy and people can’t trust your service. 
    yuniversebaconstangappleexpatradarthekatargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 76
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Just imagine the data they’re zucking from WhatsApp? Those conversations are highly personal.
    appleexpatargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 76
    mcdave said:
    Just imagine the data they’re zucking from WhatsApp? Those conversations are highly personal.
    I like that word - "Zucking - secretly(or blatantly) stealing without consent)"
    appleexpatDogpersonbadmonkwilliamlondonargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 76
    What's the best way to "inflict pain" to facebook besides closing the acct?  

Any ideas?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 76
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Zuckerberg: “I have a god-given right to data-mine, sell, and manipulate every bit of information about you on and off FB, the same way vampires have a divine right to kill you or enslave you.”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 76
    mcdave said:
    yuniverse said:

Any ideas?
    I think the first one is the answer.

Zucking: Verb. To take private information, especially unethically, and use it to harm the person from whom the information was taken for your own profit. 

Derivation: From Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Facebook who invented the behaviour.

Forms: Zucking, Zucked, Zucker, Zuckered, Zuckering.

Everyone should use it, spread it, make it a thing. Make it so big that news anchors start referring to “the Z word”. Get a Reddit sub going to pump it up. Teach it to as many people as possible. Use it in conversation. Start using the derivation of Zuckerberg as a slur, as a word for doing something execrable. Let's make it the next trend that sweeps the world. Post it wherever you can fit it in. I already added a post to my Tumblr account. Now I'm looking for other places. 

A man as thin skinned as Mark Z will have a meltdown of he hears that his name has become this. 
    edited February 2021 yuniverseJapheybadmonkradarthekatGG1argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 76
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    What a douche. This, coming from the guy who uses his stupid platform to steal as much personal information as possible under the guise of “connecting people”. What a joke. He puts millions into various districts to sway votes toward his agenda, and pretends he’s the arbiter of truth in the world. FB needs to be stomped down and put in it’s place. I sold my FB stock last year and good riddance. 
    yuniversebaconstangradarthekatGG1argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 76
    DAalseth said:
    One can only hope...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 76
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    DAalseth said:
    mcdave said:
    yuniverse said:

Any ideas?
    I think the first one is the answer.

Zucking: Verb. To take private information, especially unethically, and use it to harm the person from whom the information was taken for your own profit. 

Derivation: From Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Facebook who invented the behaviour.

Forms: Zucking, Zucked, Zucker, Zuckered, Zuckering.

Everyone should use it, spread it, make it a thing. Make it so big that news anchors start referring to “the Z word”. Get a Reddit sub going to pump it up. Teach it to as many people as possible. Use it in conversation. Start using the derivation of Zuckerberg as a slur, as a word for doing something execrable. Let's make it the next trend that sweeps the world. Post it wherever you can fit it in. I already added a post to my Tumblr account. Now I'm looking for other places. 

A man as thin skinned as Mark Z will have a meltdown of he hears that his name has become this. 
    Zuck off!
    Zuck face. 
    Zuck stain. 
    Pardon my juvenile attempt at humor. It’s just so hard to stop once you’ve get going. This needs to be a thing, definitively. 
    DAalsethbadmonkargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 76
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Oh, no, how much more pain can we take? Please, stop, Zuck. :*
    Happy VD
    yuniverseolsGG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 76
    yuniverse said:

Any ideas?
    Don’t interact with any of their ads no matter if they are relevant (which they will be - because spying...)

that means they are paid less. 

Don’t connect your account with any Facebook games or seemingly innocuous or helpful services - FB gets paid for that too - while giving that third party access to your account data. 

Basically just use FB to keep a friends list for chat and posting. And do it only when necessary. 

And never ever use sign in with Facebook on other websites unless you want death by supercookie. 
    edited February 2021 radarthekatargonautwatto_cobra