Facebook developing smartwatch with health, messaging features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Mactint said:
    Has facebook ever come up with a new innovative product or just borrowed from others? from MySpace to their watch. I’m sure there’s something I just don’t recall it right now. 
    I cannot believe that there’s a company out there that makes Samsung look good. 
    qwerty52lkruppwilliamlondonGG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 47
    You know Apple have a big vision for where they want to take their Apple Watch - with health and fitness the major ones to date. Sure Facebook can come into the space and try to add to it.

But are they going to be as heavily invested into the project as Apple is?
    Do they have the passion that Apple have for it?  
    How would the two roadmaps compare?

Plus Apple have these powerful synergies between their different products (iPhone, iPad, Macs, AirPods, and Watch, that feed off each other and  greatly assist their respective developments.  

Does Facebook have anything like this in-house?
    edited February 2021 qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 47
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    docbburk said:
    To quote Sting, 
    “Every breath you take
    And every move you make
    Every bond you break
    Every step you take
    I'll be watching you“.
    That’s the first thing that crossed my mind when I read the headline.
    Yes, they will be um, watching you.
    qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 47
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Not even if it was free. 
    qwerty52williamlondonbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 47
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    tommikele said:
    Remember the Facebook phone? This will meet the same fate.
    No
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 47
    larryjw said:
    tommikele said:
    Remember the Facebook phone? This will meet the same fate.
    No
    Please tell us why you think that it won't meet the same fate as the FB Phone?

Personally, I would not touch anything with a FB brand on it even with a 60ft pole.

qwerty52Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MplsP said:
    Perfect. Can’t you see it now - as soon as you have an episode of a fib you start getting inundated with ads for Xarelto....
    You are being sarcastic but that’s exactly what could happen. Facebook’s watch will be collecting health data and selling it to big Pharma. 
    qwerty52williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 47
    jblongz said:
    Bring on the heat.  Apple's watch is fancy, trendy, and powerful, but Google's FitBit has been very resourceful, and in many respects, more usable.  If Facebook's watch can last at least 4 days on a single charge like the FitBit, it has a chance at eating some smart watch market on the advantage of efficiency alone.  I'm sorry for any iWatch user that must charge their watch every 24 hours...don't we have enough to manage in life?
    Charging every 24 hours is no trouble at all. I put the watch on its charger when I go to bed. Takes seconds. I pick up the watch when I get out of bed, again it takes seconds. 

Looking at some of the Android designs. They last 4 days. But they are in some cases ridiculously thick, to the point where it spoils the styling of the watch. I will happily take Apple Watch charge levels,  for a thinner watch design.

Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Japhey said:
    Not even if it was free. 
    Not even for pay!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 47
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:
    Perfect. Can’t you see it now - as soon as you have an episode of a fib you start getting inundated with ads for Xarelto....
    You are being sarcastic but that’s exactly what could happen. Facebook’s watch will be collecting health data and selling it to big Pharma. 
    Or FB using their huge trove of pictures and videos to help with facial recognition (https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/02/facebook-has-been-helping-law-enforcement-identify-capitol-rioters/ ). Please note that I DO NOT CONDONE the Capital riots; I'm merely pointing out the power of FB's personalised data.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 47
    KBChicagoKBChicago Posts: 21unconfirmed, member
    jblongz said: I'm sorry for any iWatch user that must charge their watch every 24 hours...don't we have enough to manage in life?
    I use  Watch and I take my  Watch off each night and place it on my nightstand on a wireless charger. I do not find this difficult to manage. You find it difficult to remember the name  Watch so placing it on a wireless charger may be hard for you to manage.
    A 20-30 minute top-off while I'm getting ready for work is usually enough for me.  When I'm camping, I can usually make it a good 36 hours--and I'm on a 3 series.  But really, since I don't sleep with a watch on, it's easy to put it on the charger on my nightstand.  It's really not a big deal.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    jblongz said:
    Bring on the heat.  Apple's watch is fancy, trendy, and powerful, but Google's FitBit has been very resourceful, and in many respects, more usable.  If Facebook's watch can last at least 4 days on a single charge like the FitBit, it has a chance at eating some smart watch market on the advantage of efficiency alone.  I'm sorry for any iWatch user that must charge their watch every 24 hours...don't we have enough to manage in life?
    Troll much? Really pathetic script and a sad attempt to sound like that good guy living next door. Your syntax and structure is a dead giveaway.  So obvious.

"iWatch." ... Really, "iWatch?"

Even more trollish is the last sentence, " I'm sorry for any iWatch user that must charge their watch every 24 hours...don't we have enough to manage in life?". The "don't we have enough to manage in life?" remark almost made me cry. If you are being paid, you are stealing from whoever is paying you. Very poor performance.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 47

chasm said:
    Unless you are certifiably insane, DO NOT give Facebook ANY medical data about yourself. Not through posts on FB, not through Instagram, not through messages on WhatsApp, and certainly not by strapping a medical data-mining device onto your wrist! That data, along with everything else FB collects, will be sold to insurers, hospitals, Big Pharma, the Russians, and other unworthy lowlifes.j

I really wish people were smarter about this stuff. Look at everything these non-Apple tech companies do to get your data -- you'd think more of the public would work out that such data is waaaaaaay more valuable than the baubles they're given in exchange for it, and demand much higher rates before permission is granted. But noooooo, we're not that smart apparently.

Other countries with real privacy policies are that smart. But not us.
    I think what you meant to say was you are certifiably insane if you have not deleted your Facebook account or have recently opened one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 47
    People ITT rightfully calling out Facebook's other hardware flops like the FB phone. However, they're killing it with the Oculus Quest 2. We're an all-Apple household except company work PCs, and I rarely ever use Facebook. But I love the Quest.

Facebook is adding Messenger to Quest and enabling multiuser support (something which people have asked for since iPad came out), which is a stealth way to get people to add all their household members without FB. I have hundreds of $ in games and would love to drop Quest and buy an Apple iGlass, but Apple is nowhere to be found on this. Analysts are saying they want typical modern Apple ideal form factor (wireless and thin), but I'd be happy to use a wire from my A14 iPhone to the HMD. It would still be less clunky and more powerful than the Quest 2. 

People might laugh and say it's niche but it won't be for long. I had the Quest 1 and a year later comes Quest 2 and it's way better. My elderly relatives who rolled their eyes about games and couldn't understand controllers are drawn into VR and don't want to put it down. People forget how small Apple was before the iPhone, and VR/AR is likely to be the next frontier. I want Apple to get in there so we aren't stuck with Apple being the Android (or even Windows Phone if it's more than a couple years) of XR and unable to get the best devs and the best apps. 
  • Reply 35 of 47
    LOL. COME ON FACEBOOK. No one wants you of all entities monitoring their health data. 

Now you think you can compete with Apple in the Watch arena? 

How about you actually get good at connecting people with friends and family while NOT spying on them. Once you can do that, you can try on other hats. Until then, stick with your reason to exist.

Dear Facebook,
    please stop this nonsense. 

Thank you,
    the people of earth. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 47

qwerty52 said:
    jblongz said:

Do not tell me how many days the battery of your Fitbit last, tell me what it is capable to do in comparison to Apple Watch. Not much I am afraid...... So no wonder if it is “very resourceful”
    qwerty52 said:
    jblongz said:

Do not tell me how many days the battery of your Fitbit last, tell me what it is capable to do in comparison to Apple Watch. Not much I am afraid...... So no wonder if it is “very resourceful”
    Right? Of course the battery lasts when it doesn’t do anything while also not looking good doing hardly anything. 

I’ll gladly go through the unimaginable task of charging my device in order to have a truly capable computer on my wrist. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 47
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    Just a more fine-grained way to track you and collect information. Anyone who would give a dime to that company is a supreme fool. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Go Zuki go. There is no reason to stop you from loosing some money :smiley: 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 47
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    You realise they will give these watches away? Many people will believe the free and sell their soul to get it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 47
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:
    Actually I wasn’t being sarcastic. Your prediction about selling data to big pharma is 100% correct. 
    watto_cobra