Apple releases update for watchOS 7.3.1

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited February 2021
Apple has released an update bringing watchOS to version 7.3.1, updating the Apple Watch software two weeks after the last release.

Apple on Monday issued a new update for watchOS 7.3.1 to the public. The update appears to be limited to the Apple Watch Series 5 and Apple Watch SE, fixing a charging issue that can manifest on those models.

Users can update watchOS to the latest build by opening the Apple Watch app on their iPhone, tapping My Watch, then General, then Software Update, then Install. Once downloaded, the Apple Watch should be placed on a charger to allow the update to install.

Alternately, the update can be performed directly on the Apple Watch by entering the Settings app, tapping General, then Software Update, then Install. Users with automatic updates will receive the update once it has downloaded and installed during the next available charging period.

Apple's previous update, watchOS 7.3, was released on January 26. Its updates included the Unity watch face, Time to Walk for Apple Fitness+ subscribers, an update to the ECG app and irregular heart rhythm notifications in select countries, and a fix for a Control Center issue.

Update February 15, 1:31 PM ET: This release was initially flagged as a beta release. AppleInsider regrets the error.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    To watch models can take advantage of this update. 
    https://support.apple.com/HT212180
    wonkothesanebluefire1
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Curious. I saw that the ECG function was approved for use here in Australia last week so was hoping this update might activate it. But according the to iPhone app and watch it’s up to date at 7.3. Maybe later today... but the suspense is killing me!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    So far, my Apple Watch 6 is not seeing the update. 
    jcbigearsGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 7
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,111member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    To watch models can take advantage of this update. 
    https://support.apple.com/HT212180
    This link is not about which models can be updated to the latest Watch OS. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    tomstraus said:
    Apparently, the update is for Apple Watch Series 5 and SE models only.
    edited February 2021 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 7
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,111member
    bluefire1 said:
    tomstraus said:
    Apparently, the update is for Apple Watch Series 5 and SE models only.
    That’s what an article on 9to5 Mac says. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 7
    When I was pairing up my new  Apple Watch 3 to my iPhone yesterday my phone asked me to download the latest OS 7.3

Hope by doing this I didn't take up a bunch of memory on my watch for no reason.