Apple releases second public beta of iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, tvOS 14.5, watchOS 7.4

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2021
Apple has released the second beta of iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, tvOS 14.5, and watchOS 7.4 to members of its public software testing program.

Second public beta of iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, and watchOS 7.4 now available
Second public beta of iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, and watchOS 7.4 now available

The second public betas should be essentially the same as the second developer beta, which Apple seeded on Tuesday. The builds can be acquired from the Apple Beta Software Program web portal.

The new betas introduce over 200 new Emoji to the platform including one for the AirPods Max. Other features include Apple Music app refinements, Apple MagSafe Wallet removal haptics, and more.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly recommend users don't install the betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, as there is the remote possibility of data loss or other issues. Instead, testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to make sure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I am so tired of new emojis. I remember a science fiction story written over 40 years ago where people could no longer read, but instead had what we would now call emoji instead. It may not be fiction much longer the way things are going.
    elijahgDogpersonPetrolDavepilotnh
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Really need to make emojis larger when in line with text. It is sometimes too difficult to make out exactly which emoji was sent. The size is fine when there's no text.
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    mike1 said:
    Really need to make emojis larger when in line with text. It is sometimes too difficult to make out exactly which emoji was sent. The size is fine when there's no text.
    I just said this earlier today when I was talking to a buddy about the new gender neutral emoji's. They are so small unless they are sent by themselves with no text that it's kind of pointless. No one would really be able tell what they were supposed to be ( bearded woman ) .

gregoriusmPetrolDave
  • Reply 4 of 7
    melgross said:
    I am so tired of new emojis. I remember a science fiction story written over 40 years ago where people could no longer read, but instead had what we would now call emoji instead. It may not be fiction much longer the way things are going.
    I think you can count on it.
    Remember 1959 movie “Time Machine” and the future where books and reading weren’t needed since they were replaced by the ‘spinning rings.’
    So I guess Apple is just doing it’s part.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    geekmee said:
    melgross said:
    I think you can count on it.
    Remember 1959 movie “Time Machine” and the future where books and reading weren’t needed since they were replaced by the ‘spinning rings.’
    So I guess Apple is just doing it’s part.
    Yeah. Too many people are mentally lazy. Whatever is easiest.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The new beta is causing the fitness app on my Apple TV to crash after confirming my Apple Watch. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Here something I discovered with the new beta. Go to and open the Find My App you can now track your Beats Solo Pro and Powerbeats Pro headphones.