Apple reportedly taps LG to develop iPhone folding display

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has reportedly tapped LG Display to aid in the development of a foldable screen for a future iPhone, according to a new report.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

Sources within Apple's supply chain told DigiTimes that LG is helping with development of a folding display, though it isn't clear if the company will supply the panels once production has started.

This is far from the first time that LG was said to be working on a foldable display for Apple. The company picked up Apple and other technology giants as the first customers for the technology in 2016. A report a year later indicated that LG had a "task force" working on a flexible OLED display for an iPhone model.

Along with LG, Apple is also said to be sourcing prototype displays from Samsung for a so-called "iPhone Fold" device. Currently, Apple sources display panels from both LG Display and Samsung Display, so it's possible that the Cupertino company is working with both suppliers and hasn't excluded one for the other.

A report in January indicated that Apple was starting early development work on a folding iPhone. At the time, the level of development was said to not have progressed beyond the screen.

The company's work on folding device technology, however, is evident in the numerous patents and patent applications that have been filed over the past few years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    If these folding phones ever happen,  what will case makers do?  Also, seems like a folding phone and\or case could be a dust magnet?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Apple “tiles” are more interesting than folding phones and apple tiles are 😴 
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Let's see a show of hands...who would like a folding phone...anyone...anyone...Buller...Buller...crickets.
    qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    omasou said:
    Let's see a show of hands...who would like a folding phone...anyone...anyone...Buller...Buller...crickets.
    I can't really see neeeding/using a folding phone, either. That said, one of Apple's fortes is the user interface. If they can design it well and make it useful I'm not beyond being convinced. Of course I won't pay $2k for it, either, so it's probably a moot point for me!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    “Folding” is misleading. I think the iPhone Fold can be a midrange category replacing the iPad mini. And being a device that folds from an iPhone Max into an iPad mini size. 
    slprescottKaseyKeiserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    omasou said:
    I am going to trade in my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra for a Galaxy Fold 3 (almost) immediately after it is available on my carrier. 

By the way ... if you check this site's archives circa 2013 and much of 2014 there were a bunch of comments AND ARTICLES to the effect of "who wants a phone bigger than 4 inches anyway?" and claims that they were terrible, ungainly, that Apple's design was "perfect for one-handed use" etc.

And if you check this site's archives circa 2014 there were similar comments "who wants a smartwatch? It is just a tablet on your wrist!".

Then it was "who wants OLED! LCD doesn't oversaturate colors!" 

"Who wants curved screens! A gimmick!" (Just like widgets and NFC/mobile payments were prior ... said you folks on this very blog.)

"Who wants 120Hz or under screen finger print scanners?" (You guys will when iPhones with them launch in a few months.)

"Who needs 5G?" (According to sales figures ... lots of people did.)

"Who needs a stylus?" (Tons of iPad owners.)

Every. Single. Thing. That. Apple. Adopts. After. Android. We. Go. Through. This.

Folks, you have to realize: Apple doesn't adopt every single Android idea. For example: the next thing that Apple adopts from the failed Pixel line will be the first. Apple also hasn't adopted anything from LG since ... LG abandoned sensible smartphone making to go with their total lack of marketing. Apple only copies from Samsung. Why? Because Samsung is successful. They are the #1 smartphone vendor in the world and have been since 2011. So if Samsung comes up with an idea that works, that validates it in Apple's eyes.

1. Despite what you guys wish to believe, Samsung is GREAT at hardware and design especially as it relates to components. So by copying Samsung they aren't copying bad products. In contrast with - again - Google whose Pixel line gets hit with lawsuits and recalls nearly every year

2. While it isn't anywhere near as large as Apple's, Samsung has a fanbase that is very loyal but also VERY DEMANDING. If it pleases Samsung customers, it will please iPhone customers too. Meanwhile if it doesn't work out, Samsung themselves will drop it before Apple starts to seriously consider it. 

It's been like this since at least 2013 folks. I don't know why you guys try to act surprised or think that it is ever going to change. But the feedback from Galaxy Flip fans and Galaxy Fold 2 fans (the original Galaxy Fold not so much) have been outstanding. Which means that when you guys get your folding iPhones you will love them too. This will be good for Apple, good for iPhone owners, good for Android owners - because when Apple comes out with an Android feature lots more components get manufactured driving the price down ... curved screens can be had on phones that cost as little as $200 for example - everyone wins. What is there to be down about?
    muthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 7 of 24
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    cloudguy said:
    omasou said:

Every. Single. Thing. That. Apple. Adopts. After. Android. We. Go. Through. This.

LOL!  Where to start?  Did you really imply that Apple only developed a smart watch because they were copying Samsung’s success in the category??
    Samsung invented styluses?  Samsung invented 5G? Samsung invented mobile payments? I suppose Samsung invented the smartphone too...
    I mean, Samsung has been early to market with some things. Ok. But that is a very long way from meaning Apple is copying them. 
    But whatever. If your angry, Apple only makes Samsung knockoffs fantasy makes you happy, go ahead and live there!
    JapheyRayz2016Dogpersongregoriusmqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    bageljoey said:
    cloudguy said:
    omasou said:

LOL!  Where to start?  Did you really imply that Apple only developed a smart watch because they were copying Samsung’s success in the category??
    Samsung invented styluses?  Samsung invented 5G? Samsung invented mobile payments? I suppose Samsung invented the smartphone too...
    I mean, Samsung has been early to market with some things. Ok. But that is a very long way from meaning Apple is copying them. 
    But whatever. If your angry, Apple only makes Samsung knockoffs fantasy makes you happy, go ahead and live there!
    For some reason, @cloudguy has made it his life mission to "correct" and "educate" us ignorant Apple customers about how rotten our Apple really is. 
    I've put him on my ignore list but sometimes I see his rants when other reply. Not worth the time to respond to him. 
    Dogpersonqwerty52pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cloudguy said:
    omasou said:
    I am going to trade in my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra for a Galaxy Fold 3 (almost) immediately after it is available on my carrier. 

By the way ... if you check this site's archives circa 2013 and much of 2014 there were a bunch of comments AND ARTICLES to the effect of "who wants a phone bigger than 4 inches anyway?" and claims that they were terrible, ungainly, that Apple's design was "perfect for one-handed use" etc.

And if you check this site's archives circa 2014 there were similar comments "who wants a smartwatch? It is just a tablet on your wrist!".

"Who wants curved screens! A gimmick!" (Just like widgets and NFC/mobile payments were prior ... said you folks on this very blog.)

"Who wants 120Hz or under screen finger print scanners?" (You guys will when iPhones with them launch in a few months.)

Folks, you have to realize: Apple doesn't adopt every single Android idea. For example: the next thing that Apple adopts from the failed Pixel line will be the first. Apple also hasn't adopted anything from LG since ... LG abandoned sensible smartphone making to go with their total lack of marketing. Apple only copies from Samsung. Why? Because Samsung is successful. They are the #1 smartphone vendor in the world and have been since 2011. So if Samsung comes up with an idea that works, that validates it in Apple's eyes.

1. Despite what you guys wish to believe, Samsung is GREAT at hardware and design especially as it relates to components. So by copying Samsung they aren't copying bad products. In contrast with - again - Google whose Pixel line gets hit with lawsuits and recalls nearly every year

2. While it isn't anywhere near as large as Apple's, Samsung has a fanbase that is very loyal but also VERY DEMANDING. If it pleases Samsung customers, it will please iPhone customers too. Meanwhile if it doesn't work out, Samsung themselves will drop it before Apple starts to seriously consider it. 

It's been like this since at least 2013 folks. I don't know why you guys try to act surprised or think that it is ever going to change. But the feedback from Galaxy Flip fans and Galaxy Fold 2 fans (the original Galaxy Fold not so much) have been outstanding. Which means that when you guys get your folding iPhones you will love them too. This will be good for Apple, good for iPhone owners, good for Android owners - because when Apple comes out with an Android feature lots more components get manufactured driving the price down ... curved screens can be had on phones that cost as little as $200 for example - everyone wins. What is there to be down about?
    https://owlcation.com/academia/Learn-to-summarize-and-paraphrase

slprescottqwerty52CloudTalkinbikerdudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    omasou said:
    Me. I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max and would really find it easier on my pants pockets. And, like the Razr of old and new, it would look really cool.
    edited February 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 24
    omasou said:
    I would love one and will buy one WHEN, not if, they release one. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    bageljoey said:
    cloudguy said:
    omasou said:

The point they were trying to make is, this site and the people in the comments did say all these things. I completely remember the never a bigger screen crowd here. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 24
    cloudguy said:
    omasou said:

Are you really ready to pay 2k for a folding Samsung, knowing that the difference between folded display and
    unfolded is only about 1,5 inch (slightly bigger than iPhone Max)?
    Not to mention that you will walk around the all day with two phones sticked together in your pocket.
    For the same money I can have an iPhone and an 11 inch iPad (Android and Samsung free).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    cloudguy said:
    omasou said:

Yes,  Apple does not adopt everything from Samsung - such as the operating system on the phone.  Many believe Apple’s approach to their OS and App Store security is superior.  That is one major reason I have an iphone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    cloudguy said:
    omasou said:

Maybe you would not like it, but the truth is:

The biggest enemy of Apple and the biggest friend of Samsung are the rumors around Apple.
    If there weren’t rumors about wat Apple is working on, Samsung would never be able to be “the first”.
    How it goes:
    a) First, it is always a rumor coming out about Apple, that it is possibly working on something (for example a watch)
    b) Samsung picks the idea and starts rushing to make it before Apple and to say “We were first”
    c) Samsung brings it on the market, but it is incomplete, underdeveloped en premature and of course without success. (But they are first....)
    d) Apple brings its product later on the market , as a 2nd, but the product is mature and has success.
    So, I am wondering who is copying who?
    edited February 2021 tmayJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    I think there will be important for Apple weight and thickness of such fordable phone/ipad.  My colleague has some shitty android and it wights 300g /0.66 pound. It is brick. It is worth that my friends rugged phone of the same size.
    Your backpack becomes weapon with this lol.
    I wonder what happened with all Apple investments into Liquid Metal. There is just silence. Ideal material for thin big device.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Folding phones could be the next “big, shiny thing” everyone wants. But I also believe that it will have to offer greater functionality making it more of a hybrid between an iPhone & a mini-iPad. This also means that applications for such a device will need to be rethought in order to properly take advantage of new capabilities. And of course this will mean  will be able to sell more pencils and headsets.  I can also see a device like this having an advantage on the floor of large warehouses and manufacturing facilities to read/update data more easily as well as interactively submit instruction changes to robots on the floor.  But durability and battery life will play a key role in whether or not something like this becomes a success or is dropped in the trash. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    omasou said:

Do I want a folding phone as they currently exist? Nope.
    Am I so closed minded that I might not consider the possibility that Apple will incorporate "folding" screens in a way that I might actually like and want? I hope not.
    edited February 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    qwerty52 said:
    cloudguy said:
    omasou said:

Maybe you would not like it, but the truth is:

The biggest enemy of Apple and the biggest friend of Samsung are the rumors around Apple.
    If there weren’t rumors about wat Apple is working on, Samsung would never be able to be “the first”.
    How it goes:
    a) First, it is always a rumor coming out about Apple, that it is possibly working on something (for example a watch)
    b) Samsung picks the idea and starts rushing to make it before Apple and to say “We were first”
    c) Samsung brings it on the market, but it is incomplete, underdeveloped en premature and of course without success. (But they are first....)
    d) Apple brings its product later on the market , as a 2nd, but the product is mature and has success.
    So, I am wondering who is copying who?
    So I guess that means a Samsung car is imminent, right?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:
    cloudguy said:
    omasou said:

https://owlcation.com/academia/Learn-to-summarize-and-paraphrase

100% This.  Jeebus.  I know I can be guilty of slipping into paragraph mode on occasion, but holy smokes. It's like my man is auditioning to ghost write the sequel to War and Peace... Warier and Peacier - Ish Just Got Real. There's a mod here who does the same thing, but he doesn't comment as frequently as Cloudguy.  Small blessings I guess.
    muthuk_vanalingam