Ikea rolling out HomeKit support for Shortcut Button and Motion Sensors

Posted:
in General Discussion
Popular Swedish furniture and home goods store Ikea will be adding HomeKit support for two more products via its Tradfri Gateway.

Image credit: Ikea
Image credit: Ikea

The upcoming Tradfri Gateway firmware update -- version 1.13.21 -- was pointed out in a post by iCulture. The update isn't available to everyone yet, but should be released in the next few days as the support notes are dated February 18.

The Tradfri Motion Sensor allows users to control up to 10 Ikea-branded smart bulbs, allowing lights to be turned on when motion is detected.

The Shortcut Button, currently only available in Europe and Canada at present, allows users to activate HomeKit scenes to perform tasks such as playing music, changing the lighting, or controlling the blinds.

In 2019, Ikea gave users the ability to control certain products, such as the Fyrtur Smart Blinds and Tradfri Lamps and lighting solutions, via HomeKit.
timrand

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I have a Tradfri setup and noticed the Motion Detector shows in HomeKit.  Great news.  The more difficult issue now is that it works in the Ikea Smart Home app, but does not show detection status in HomeKit.   It does not trigger HomeKit as Motion Detected.  It does control the Ikea device I have in the same room, but won’t trigger HomeKit automations.  

I will say my Hub firmware is updated to the version above (1.13.21), but when I check the release notes in the Ikea app it doesn’t indicate this release yet.  Must still be some pieces to push out to the customer base.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Oh, hint for people that have had trouble with the Ikea Tradfri platform, try getting a couple repeaters.  I’ve been told that these are good Zigbee repeaters that work universally, not just with Tradfri devices.
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Just the thing to set the right mood for eating meatballs.
    Oferiloveapplegeartimrandwatto_cobra