Vintage Apple retail sign goes up for auction with $12,000 starting bid

Posted:
in General Discussion
An original Apple retail sign that was used to advertise the company's computers in the late 1970s is set to hit the auction block later in February at a starting bid of $12,000.

Credit: Nate D. Sanders
Credit: Nate D. Sanders

The sign, which measures four feet by five feet, was displayed by an authorized reseller who first learned about Apple at a computer conference in 1976. The sign itself is dated to 1978. It goes up for auction on Thursday.

According to Nate D. Sanders Auctions, the acrylic sign has a few surface marks and some yellowing. The colors of the classic rainbow Apple logo remain bright and the sign is in "overall very good condition."

The auction listing is virtually identical to one that appeared in March 2020, aside from the price, which started at $20,000 at the time. It isn't clear if it is the same sign.

Apple products or memorabilia from the company's early days are popular and pricy auction items. A rare functional Apple-1 computer sold at auction for nearly $460,000 in 2020. In 2019, an original manual for the Apple-1 fetched a $12,000 price at a Boston-based auction house.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I wonder what my 1984 Macintosh would go for.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    It's exactly the same photo - look at the marks on the back of the sign - the diagonal \ in the upper left, the stuff below the "computer" in both ads.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Great logo.  Not so great logotype.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bluefire1 said:
    I also still have mine.  Sits on a shelf with my other first gen Apple stuff.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    bluefire1 said:
    EBAY Sharks are now selling them for around $1,000 without the original boxes, yet in a complete set that is in very good condition.  A mint condition boxed set (still working, no yellowing), would fetch over $2,000.  Even then its still sad compared to a totally and utterly worthless sign sell for $12,000.  It's shocking what people will pay for!

The most usable and enjoyable and practical vintage Macs are actually among the lowest cost, such as a Plus or SE.  The king of compacts is the SE/30. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
     I have an Apple IIe,, green monitor, operating systems 5 1/4 inch floppy software duo disk drive. Software Publishing Corporation file software second generation and VisiCalc spreadsheet in the original leather bound manual. All shipping boxes for all hardware. Fully functional.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    jdw said:
    bluefire1 said:
    EBAY Sharks are now selling them for around $1,000 without the original boxes, yet in a complete set that is in very good condition.  A mint condition boxed set (still working, no yellowing), would fetch over $2,000.  Even then its still sad compared to a totally and utterly worthless sign sell for $12,000.  It's shocking what people will pay for!

The most usable and enjoyable and practical vintage Macs are actually among the lowest cost, such as a Plus or SE.  The king of compacts is the SE/30. 
    I think that statement would qualify as a paradox. 

Maybe the word you wanted to use instead of "worthless", was "useless". 

I have the 3' x 2' paper poster version of that sign, only instead of "Apple Computer" on the bottom, it just say "Apple". Bought it framed behind glass for $8 at a Goodwill. When it was still the official logo for Apple Computer, in the mid-90's. At the time, I thought it was a common poster sold at any poster shop and figured the aluminum frame /w glass, was worth at least $8. It wasn't till about 10 years later, after I found them selling for over $200 on eBay (unframed) (and after Apple changed their logo), that I realized the poster was not that common. Evidently, these posters were only handed out to Apple employees and Apple authorized dealers. Of all the Apple stuff I have bought and still have, this Apple poster comes in second as to the one that has increased the most in value since I purchased it. The first being my AAPL stocks. 

Here's what it looks like. That not me selling or buying. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Poster-Rainbow-Logo-vintage-rare-collectible/273934325549?hash=item3fc7c2172d:g:1EYAAOSweSddMJpq

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Apple-Computer-Rainbow-Logo-Poster-1980-039-s-Employee-Owned-34-034-x-22-034-/333196350337?hash=item4d940cd381:g:-VAAAOSwqu1c2gxs&nma=true&si=DFDZhDJ0llQ4%2BCAEjul6FKFM7gw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
    JinTechviclauyycwatto_cobra