MacBook Pro will regain SD card reader and HDMI port in 2021, Kuo says

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2021
At least two MacBook Pro models rumored to debut in the second half of 2021 will come equipped with an SD card reader and HDMI port, according to TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

MacBook Pro

Adding detail to previous predictions, Kuo in a note to investors on Tuesday said the additions will arrive with a major design change that includes more options for external device connectivity. Apple over the past six years has pared down MacBook's I/O choices to USB-C and Thunderbolt 3. The shift to a more inclusive mobile platform will be a welcome one for those averse to dongles.

The MacBook Pro last included an SD card slot and HDMI port in 2015, with subsequent models eschewing those parts completely.

Genesys Logic appears to be the exclusive controller supplier for the upcoming SD card reader and could play a larger role in Apple's product line moving forward, Kuo says. The firm could be on tap to fill orders for an expected hardware upgrade to the USB 4.0 protocol.

In a report last month, Kuo said he expects Apple to launch 14- and 16-inch mini LED MacBook Pro variants that boast a "flat-edged" look more in line with the company's modern design language. The first of those angular devices was the 2018 iPad Pro, with last year's iPhone 12 series closely following suit.

Also resurrected from past MacBooks will be MagSafe charging technology, a version of which was introduced with the iPhone 12 series last year. The much-maligned OLED Touch Bar will get the boot in favor of physical function buttons, according to Kuo.

The analyst is predicting a launch in the third quarter.

As a result of the new design and specification changes, Kuo expects overall MacBook shipments to grow between 25% and 30% year-over-year to hit 20 million units in 2021.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Meh. My dSLRs have moved on to XQD and CFexpress Type B. 
    edited February 2021 pulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 103
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    JFC_PA said:
    I was wondering how many professional photographers still use SD cards. 

And MagSafe over USB-C?

randominternetperson
  • Reply 3 of 103
    Rayz2016 said:
    JFC_PA said:
    I was wondering how many professional photographers still use SD cards. 
    I suspect that like the Sony a7S III and the Sony A1, there will be support for both SD and CFexpress Type A cards in the same slot.
    JFC_PARayz2016
  • Reply 4 of 103
    JFC_PA said:

Newer cameras also have USB-C connections as well, so it shouldn't be a problem. It makes sense for Apple to build for the most common media format for photographers (SD), than for more limited use options.
    caladanian
  • Reply 5 of 103
    I’m surprised about HDMI... Many monitors support USB-C now and with Airplay for presentations the lack of HDMI was only a slight inconvenience, and a worthy omission from a design aesthetics point of view (and the push to USB-C).

As for SD, it’s nice to have but I wonder what the overall usage is versus other type of storage ports in cameras. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 103
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Maybe it isn’t so much, or just about photographers anymore and more about the new SD express standard. The card is basically an SSD and the slot two channel PCIe 4.0 with a bus speed max of 3938 Mbps. Apple might want to be the first to supply a slot meeting that standard.
    The only doubt I have about that scenario would be Apple losing the ability to extort buyers of storage upgrades. But you never know.
    edited February 2021 muthuk_vanalingambageljoeywilliamlondonh4y3sCloudTalkin
  • Reply 7 of 103
    These additions only makes sense for the largest model where the wasted space won’t matter. 

I really hope the loss of the Touch Bar is wrong. I’m due to replace my MBP and I don’t want to lose the functionality going back to physical f-keys. 
    rmusikantowbloggerblog
  • Reply 8 of 103
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Absolutely pointless from my perspective.
    Like the majority of people now, my camera is my phone (or more specifically an iPhone). So I haven’t touched an SD card in over a decade.

I’d much rather have another Thunderbolt/USB port than HDMI. More versatile and not hobbled with the copyright protection signal.

A USB-C compatible version of MagSafe would be cool though, something which I appreciate on my 2015, 2012, and 2006 Macs.
    chiawilliamlondonrandominternetpersonDetnator
  • Reply 9 of 103

For me, the most important aspect of these changes is that Apple is willing to admit to their mistakes and correct them. Butterfly keyboard, Touch Bar, and now I/O slots. Of course, they’ll never openly apologize, and instead tout the changes as something new and wonderful, but no matter, the corrections are welcome.

williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamasdasdavon b7dysamoriaameldrum1
  • Reply 10 of 103
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Apple should be moving forward, not backward.  I think they're listening too much to a vocal minority.
    d_2randominternetpersonauxioDetnator
  • Reply 11 of 103
    normm said:
    Apple should be moving forward, not backward.  I think they're listening too much to a vocal minority.
    Photographers (who also shoot video)
    Yotubers
    Indie film makers
    Video content creators

That’s a very large number of people who need HDMI ports and SD card slots, Apple is right to pivot back and give those and others who need “legacy” ports. I’m a photographer and even just getting the SD card slot back is very welcome news.
    bloggerblogdysamoria
  • Reply 12 of 103
    I don’t quite get why Apple would bring back these legacy ports. 
    USB-C offers the ultimate flexibility. Get a dongle hub and you can have all those connections and more.  And you are not just limited to one side.  
    I have one in my office setup and used to use it when we were allowed to travel. Also plugging in a far easier since you do not have to orient the connect a specific way. 
    Also if you do need to use cards, then a dongle approach will cover all types and covers all throughput.  
    Compared to my old MBP which had a range of ports, I am much happier with the USB-C solution. It offers everything I would need, especially with 4 ports and the choice of which side I want to plug in. 

randominternetpersonfastasleepDetnator
  • Reply 13 of 103
    So excited about this about-face by Apple. At this rate the DVD drive should be back in 2022. I know Apple wouldn’t want me to have to repurchase my entire DVD movie library as digital. 
    doggoneright_said_fredDuhSesame
  • Reply 14 of 103
    I really don’t think apple will look back. 

Digital camera, DSLR and mirrorless sales is all time low and will never go back up again. The market for a SD or other card types reader is for very small market. SD is far less important than a USB-A port. Which most people still
    use most of the time.
    randominternetpersonDuhSesame
  • Reply 15 of 103
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    doggone said:
    I don’t quite get why Apple would bring back these legacy ports. 
    USB-C offers the ultimate flexibility. Get a dongle hub and you can have all those connections and more.  And you are not just limited to one side.  
    I have one in my office setup and used to use it when we were allowed to travel. Also plugging in a far easier since you do not have to orient the connect a specific way. 
    Also if you do need to use cards, then a dongle approach will cover all types and covers all throughput.  
    Compared to my old MBP which had a range of ports, I am much happier with the USB-C solution. It offers everything I would need, especially with 4 ports and the choice of which side I want to plug in. 

The dongle is one more thing to forget on a business trip and then you look like a chump at a presentation, or whatever. I don't really get the SD slot though. Thats very old hat. 
    sphericMplsP
  • Reply 16 of 103
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,555member
    JFC_PA said:

Newer cameras also have USB-C connections as well, so it shouldn't be a problem. It makes sense for Apple to build for the most common media format for photographers (SD), than for more limited use options.
    Cool. A lot more people use their machines to make music than for photography. 

Can we expect 1/4" jack outputs and XLR inputs with phantom power any time soon? 
    randominternetpersondoggoneauxiofastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 103
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Sure.

could be a micro HDMI in return.

🤣
    sphericdoggone
  • Reply 18 of 103
    If Timmy can put HDMI back then he might just well bring back some Type-As too.  Since that’s unlikely, Kuo is being high again.
  • Reply 19 of 103
    Crossing my fingers for a 5-1/4" floppy disk drive next
    randominternetpersondoggoneWgkruegerrmusikantowAppleZuluDuhSesamechasm
  • Reply 20 of 103
    zeus423 said:
    Crossing my fingers for a 5-1/4" floppy disk drive next
    Or serial and parallel ports too, some pros still needs them 🤣
    zeus423right_said_fredchasm