MacBook Pro will regain SD card reader and HDMI port in 2021, Kuo says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    I can see the SD slot, but HDMI is not necessary. They make HDMI to USB-C cables. They’re basically the same as HDMI to micro HDMI, but with the ability to pass power, other data like Ethernet, and DisplayPort.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    HDMI is Apple's method for output of HI-RES and multi-channel audio.
  • Reply 23 of 103
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    Loving the fact the SD card is coming back for two reasons:

1. I continue to use my mid-2015 15" MBP for that very reason -- I love the slot!
    2. Its return will crush the naysayers who hate features that the rest of us love!

It reminds me of the Macintosh Jr. ad, except in this case, the "crummy computers" are the models without an SD card slot...

http://retromaccast.ning.com/video/the-power-to-crush-the-other

LONG LIVE THE SD CARD SLOT!!
    ireland
  • Reply 24 of 103
    jas99jas99 Posts: 148member
    This doesn’t sound credible. None of those ports are useful to the vast majority of pro users. 
    And eliminate the TouchBar? I use that every-single-time I use my Mac. It’s genius. They had better keep it. 
    randominternetpersonrmusikantowDuhSesamefastasleep
  • Reply 25 of 103
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Brilliant.

Hoping for a new MagSafe as well.  That'd take care of basically all my port needs.    One USB-A and ethernet would be great too, but they're more manageable with small dongles; it's the need for a hub at the moment that makes the situation ridiculous.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 103
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    jas99 said:
    This doesn’t sound credible. None of those ports are useful to the vast majority of pro users. 
    And eliminate the TouchBar? I use that every-single-time I use my Mac. It’s genius. They had better keep it. 
    https://appletrack.org/ming-chi-kuo/

78.2% accuracy, not that credible.
    h4y3s
  • Reply 27 of 103

mobird said:
    HDMI is Apple's method for output of HI-RES and multi-channel audio.
    ...which is well implemented into USB Type-C.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 103
    SD card reader and HDMI port?

Absolutely revolutionary.
  • Reply 29 of 103
    AB101 said:
    SD card reader and HDMI port?

Absolutely revolutionary.
    Wow-You-Are-So-Prooooo-Dude.
  • Reply 30 of 103
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    jas99 said:

To be fair, that's how some of us felt about USB-A ports, HDMI, headphone jacks, magsafe, and yes, even the SD card slot.  Apple ditching three of those things is partly why I'm typing this on a Dell XPS.  (That and an $800 price difference, and I'm fluent in Windows and macOS)  I still use USB-A, HDMI, SD cards, and the headphone jack at least two or three times a week, and carrying around 3 or 4 dongles for such often-used features is a pain.
    ireland
  • Reply 31 of 103
    I don't know if this is a USB-C problem or Mac OS, but My M1 MacBook Air often forgets it has a monitor attached after waking up from sleep.  But still, I just don't see how a dedicated HDMI port would solve anything.  I'm fine using a single USB-C hub to connect/disconnect all my devices.
    auxio
  • Reply 32 of 103
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So does this rumor confirm the Jony Ive era is over at Apple and a return to sensible design is in progress?
    muthuk_vanalingamzeus423d_2asdasdentropysmdwychoffameldrum1irelandmaltz
  • Reply 33 of 103
    lkrupp said:
    So does this rumor confirm the Jony Ive era is over at Apple and a return to sensible design is in progress?
    I am surprised by the number of people commenting on this topic as-if it has already happened. It is still a rumor, isn't it?
    DuhSesame
  • Reply 34 of 103
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    DuhSesame said:
    zeus423 said:
    Crossing my fingers for a 5-1/4" floppy disk drive next
    Or serial and parallel ports too, some pros still needs them ߤ㦬t;/div>
    SCSI baby... back to the future!

Is it April 1st yet?  So-called "pros" who can afford a $2k+ laptop but not a couple of adapters as a stopgap until their next camera upgrade?  Riiight...
    edited February 2021 Rayz2016DuhSesame
  • Reply 35 of 103
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Rayz2016 said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Meh. My dSLRs have moved on to XQD and CFexpress Type B. 
    I was wondering how many professional photographers still use SD cards. 

And MagSafe over USB-C?
    I still miss MagSafe - infinity easier to connect and more convenient. it was less obtrusive, too. I've tried using one of the USB-C/mag safe adapters and it was worthless. Since charging is the one thing that every single  laptop owner does, having a dedicated charge port actually makes sense.

I’m surprised about HDMI... Many monitors support USB-C now and with Airplay for presentations the lack of HDMI was only a slight inconvenience, and a worthy omission from a design aesthetics point of view (and the push to USB-C).

As for SD, it’s nice to have but I wonder what the overall usage is versus other type of storage ports in cameras. 

Sorry, HDMI is easily the most prevalent connection for video and is far and away more common than USB C for video. I recently purchased an external monitor for my MBP and restricting it to USB C severely limited my options. HDMI is also on every single TV sold, making it easy to connect to a TV if you want to. If you are presenting, the one connection you can be sure will be present in the conference room is... yup, HDMI.

You can say how other protocols may be technically better, but often times HDMI wins simply because it is the standard.

h4y3sd_2muthuk_vanalingamireland
  • Reply 36 of 103
    jas99 said:
    @jas99 I would like to hear your “use-case” for the Touch Bar. I like it too but don’t really use it much. What am I missing? What applications make best use of it??  (Thanks) 
    h4y3s
  • Reply 37 of 103
    These additions only makes sense for the largest model where the wasted space won’t matter. 

I really hope the loss of the Touch Bar is wrong. I’m due to replace my MBP and I don’t want to lose the functionality going back to physical f-keys. 
    I agree. I love the Touch Bar and use it everyday. I am baffled that so many users don't like it.  Maybe Apple will offer a choice: Touch Bar or no Touch Bar models.
  • Reply 38 of 103
    HDMI is an abomination and should be banned from all future devices. 
  • Reply 39 of 103
    jas99 said:
    I agree. I love the Touch Bar.
    DuhSesame
  • Reply 40 of 103
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member

viclauyyc said:
    I really don’t think apple will look back. 

Digital camera, DSLR and mirrorless sales is all time low and will never go back up again. The market for a SD or other card types reader is for very small market. SD is far less important than a USB-A port. Which most people still
    use most of the time.
    asdasd said:
    doggone said:
    I don’t quite get why Apple would bring back these legacy ports. 
    USB-C offers the ultimate flexibility. Get a dongle hub and you can have all those connections and more.  And you are not just limited to one side.  
    I have one in my office setup and used to use it when we were allowed to travel. Also plugging in a far easier since you do not have to orient the connect a specific way. 
    Also if you do need to use cards, then a dongle approach will cover all types and covers all throughput.  
    Compared to my old MBP which had a range of ports, I am much happier with the USB-C solution. It offers everything I would need, especially with 4 ports and the choice of which side I want to plug in. 

The dongle is one more thing to forget on a business trip and then you look like a chump at a presentation, or whatever. I don't really get the SD slot though. Thats very old hat. 
    Now, 5 years after Phil Schiller proclaimed "USB C is the future" and dismissed the need for USB A, USB C is still relatively uncommon. I purchased an Apple keyboard last month and it came with a supposedly obsolete USB A cable on it. The fact is that USB A is still more common than USB C and since many/most USB C jacks are just USB 3.0 they have no advantage over USB A. 

People keep saying "it's your responsibility to remember the dongle!" Perhaps, but I still have a hard time understanding why a computer that is supposedly better makes the user do more.
    jas99 said:
    I agree. I love the Touch Bar.
    I find the Touch Bar very underwhelming. There are times that it's kind of nice and other times it's far more of a gimmick. I find myself using it for precious little that I couldn't do before with function keys.

If you gave me a choice between a MBP with the Touch Bar and one without it for $100 cheaper I wouldn't even need to think about the decision. 
    edited February 2021 entropysirelandmaltz