Kroger plans rollout of iPhone-assisted COVID-19 rapid testing kits

Posted:
in iPhone
An at-home COVID-19 test that uses the iPhone to check results will be available to buy from Kroger in the future, once the FDA approves the test for public sale.

The Gauss COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Home Test is currently awaiting approval from the Food and Drug Administration for an emergency use authorization, allowing it to be distributed and supplied to the public. Awaiting that approval, Kroger Health has outlined its distribution plans for the test.

The retailer's health arm plans to make the test available to buy online, as well as its 2,200 pharmacies and 220 clinics across the United States. AppleInsider has asked for clarification, and for details of wider availability, if any is planned.

Gauss produced the first 1.5 million units of the test, which the retailer will immediately start distributing once the EUA has been granted. The producer claims to be able to make up to 30 million tests per month at full production capacity.

The test consists of a swabbing kit and an iPhone app, which provides step-by-step instructions to properly collect a nasal swab sample and to process it. Once placed into the test cassette and after a 15-minute wait, the app prompts the user to use the iPhone camera to scan the cassette's markers.

The app then provides the result of the test to the user as clearly as possible. The app is also able to share the result with public health agencies, following normal HIPAA compliance rules.

A clinical trial submitted to the FDA to support the application determined the test has a 93% positive agreement and 99% negative agreement compared to existing emergency-use-authorized PCR tests.

"Public health leaders agree that people need access to on-demand, reliable, rapid testing in their own homes, and that's exactly what our test delivers," said Gauss founder and CEO Siddarth Satish in a statement.

While a relatively simple use of the iPhone for guidance and reading a result, the test is another way that iPhones and apps are helping to combat the ongoing pandemic. The Apple-Google COVID-19 API and exposure notification system is employed by healthcare organizations around the world to assist with tracking the spread of the virus in large populations.

Apple has also recently started to manage the introduction of so-called "health pass" apps, digital credentials for accessing buildings or in-person services. On Wednesday, Apple said such apps must be created by a company with relations to public health authorities to be submitted for inclusion in the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    When will Kroger join the rest of the world and allow customers to use ApplePay?!!!
    UniqueGuyGeorgeBMacStrangeDaysdavgreg
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Why roll out testing. Why not roll out vaccinations. Geesh. How thick headed can you be?  I’ve never understood why anyone would want to get tested. It’s not like you can got get a Covid relief pill. It’s called treating symptoms and now getting the dang vaccines out to as many people that want to take them as possible. Let everyone and anyone give and take it. Where is common sense when it’s needed the most. 
  • Reply 3 of 18
    When will Kroger join the rest of the world and allow customers to use ApplePay?!!!
    Here in the Seattle area, QFC (which is Kroger) added ApplePay support about six months ago.

Why roll out testing. Why not roll out vaccinations. Geesh. How thick headed can you be?  I’ve never understood why anyone would want to get tested. It’s not like you can got get a Covid relief pill. It’s called treating symptoms and now getting the dang vaccines out to as many people that want to take them as possible. Let everyone and anyone give and take it. Where is common sense when it’s needed the most. 
    Ease of testing allows for better contact tracing and informs the infected to quarantine to slow the spread.

Vaccines are coming, and while they may be the single most important component of ending the pandemic, there are other pieces to the puzzle, and testing is one of those.
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 4 of 18
    noraa1138noraa1138 Posts: 31unconfirmed, member
    Because the two aren't mutually exclusive, and the companies doing the vaccines and the tests are completely different entities. Furthermore, while vaccine rollouts are happening, it is still going to take months to vaccinate the whole of the U.S. (let alone the rest of the world). In the meantime, people are still going to get Covid. If said people can quickly and easily determine if they have Covid or not, they can then immediately quarantine themselves and upload their info to Apple's and Google's Covid notification API to aid in contact tracing and to help prevent further spread.
    djames4242fred1
  • Reply 5 of 18
    In Seattle, the Kroger owned Fred Meyer stores as well 
  • Reply 7 of 18
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Because, sadly, there are still people who are afraid of the vaccines. 
    djames4242
  • Reply 8 of 18
    No - they are too greedy.  They also don't allow one of the other major credit cards (MC or Visa - don't remember which) - they think the % fee for the transaction is too high.
  • Reply 9 of 18

Common sense is right where it needs to be - Kroger is giving the vaccine to those who qualify so far (based on age, occupation, etc.)

Testing is still needed until the majority of the people are vaccinated.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

Really?! A year into this and you don't understand the benefit of easy-to-access, widespread testing?
    AI hasn't added this emoji as an option, so...

StrangeDaysdjames4242beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 11 of 18
    mike1 said:

Really?! A year into this and you don't understand the benefit of easy-to-access, widespread testing?
    AI hasn't added this emoji as an option, so...

Brilliant... and you only have to add one more statement. Look at Australia and New Zealand for how not to mess up. Massive contact tracing and testing crushed every outbreak.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 18
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I'm not sure why anybody would be interested in an antibody test.
    It's being estimated that 20-33% of the country already has antibodies to the virus.   And, all these tests ever told anybody was that you at one time had been infected, not that you are infected.

Plus, as more people are vaccinated the percentage with antibodies will only increase.

We need more effective tests -- not just more tests...
  • Reply 13 of 18
    As soon as it decides the benefits are greater than the customer data it can now collect through its own payments system. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 18
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Why roll out testing. Why not roll out vaccinations. 

Testing is still important. A Doctor who had an unknown asymptomatic case of Covid died of a delayed reaction to the Covid infection AFTER he was vaccinated. He was an Orthopaedic Surgeon in Memphis. The cause was his Covid infection not the vaccination.

I was treated this weekend in the ER of my own hospital for what turned out to be an enteritis. Despite having had the Pfizer vaccine back in December, the first thing done was a rapid screen for Covid. The vaccine is not a magic pass to health or not wearing a mask.

• Reply 15 of 18
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    It's being estimated that 20-33% of the country already has antibodies to the virus.   And, all these tests ever told anybody was that you at one time had been infected, not that you are infected.

Plus, as more people are vaccinated the percentage with antibodies will only increase.

There are tests other than the antibody tests. Without getting into the esoterica of lab tests, both the rapid and RNA tests have value.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    davgreg said:

There are tests other than the antibody tests. Without getting into the esoterica of lab tests, both the rapid and RNA tests have value.

True!  I wasn't speaking of effective tests.   Just antibody tests.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    My understanding is that if one already has Covid, then the vaccine is contra-indicated until recovery, at which time it might not be immediately necessary.  
  • Reply 18 of 18
    davgreg said:

Yes, and a 10 minute test being developed in France may be one of them:  Called the "Dial One", it uses antibodies to detect proteins from the virus via a smart phone.  I haven't seen data on how accurate it is, but it could make a big difference.