Smaller Mac Pro, 2021 iMac redesign with color options shown off by prolific leaker

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    elijahg said:
    Smaller (cheaper) Mac Pro might be the fabled xMac??! We can but dream...

Could be!   However I never saw the XMac as a Mac Pro replacement.   

In any event if the rumor is correct and that new Cube is in fact a Mac Pro replacement then Apple has fallen into the same old trap of not realizing that pros need certain features and capabilities.    There is a huge difference between a Pro desktop computer and a Pro workstation type machine.   Apple hasn't gotten either one right in decades so I'd be shocked to see them suddenly start marketing machines people will buy.

The current Mac Pro sorta wants to fill the role of a workstation type computer.   It fails miserably though for many reasons.

As for the fabled XMac the key there is a it being a desktop machine with a decent Video card and SSD expansion capability.    That isn't asking a lot and for the life of me I've never understood why Apple hasn't been able to produces such a machine.   There is almost zero overlap with respect to potential customers of the XMac and the Mac Pro (or what the Mac Pro should be).

Finally I have this big fear that Apple is going to move away from supporting discreet GPU's believing that their integrated stuff will be good enough.   That will be a sad day because a discreet GPU will always have a performance advantage in some situations simply due to die area.
    entropyselijahgmuthuk_vanalingamdysamoriaargonaut
  • Reply 22 of 122
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    tht said:
    Hoping that:

1. iMac has 32" display
    2. iMac is compatible with Pro Display XDR stand and has VESA option
    3. External monitor is just the iMac 32 without the computing guts
    4. Mac Half Pro is modular, with room for MPX module, +2 PCIe slots, and 2 HDDs.
    5. iMac 24" has fanless option.
    I'm actually hoping that the Half Pro as you call it is actually an XMac tht has been dreamed of for decades.    I don't see it as a Mac Pro replacement but rather a hgh performance desktop machine that starts at around $1200 to $1500, for a model that doesn't suck.    Basically a place to give us a higher wattage CPU and GPU than can be had in an iMac.    These days no HDD but rather M.2 SSD slots for expansion.    Such a machine could easily fit into an enclosure half the size of a Mac Pro.   In fact one could do as well to bump up the size of the Mini some.

Which brings up the next thought, Apple could really remake the Mini into something incredible with Apple Silicon.   The current M1 Mini is pretty amazing and doesn't even stress the enclosure or the power supply.   Doubling the power dissipation should allow Apple to produce a really fast Mini with an M1X or better chip.   Even then the Mini would likely run cooler than the old Intel offerings.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 122
    sflocal said:
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

But I've had it with all-in-ones. I'll never buy a desktop Mac with the screen glued onto it again. 
    Your complaint is moot.  I think the new iMacs will be essentially a giant iPad with everything soldered in.  Gone will be the days where one could at least upgrade the RAM.

What's your beef with removing the display?  Open that display once (or twice) ever in its life it too much?  I can remove and reinstall my iMac display in minutes.  It's a non-issue.
    You expect average people to remove the iMac's display? That's pretty unreasonable.

And from my perspective you're missing the point. If something goes wrong with the CPU or other core component, when the screen is still fine, then there's no reason to remove the screen. The whole point to having a separate screen is so that you don't have to throw out the monitor when the CPU dies. Both of my last two iMacs have given me blue screens of death every week after the first three years (with nothing but Apple's OS on the system.) Yes, I've reinstalled the OS and taken them in to Apple for testing, and they could find nothing. It's just random crashing, and it feels like the Intel CPU. I will never buy an Intel CPU again, even though I can't prove that that's the cause of the problem.

I've had to throw out my iMac screens with my CPUs because they are built in and can't be separated every time the CPU dies. What a waste. 
    DAalsethelijahgmuthuk_vanalingamdysamoriadanox
  • Reply 24 of 122
    Those colors are weak.  Wish Apple would be more bold with their colors.  Everything lately is so muted and unsaturated.  
    anantksundaramwilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 122
    dbvapor said:
    Those colors are weak.  Wish Apple would be more bold with their colors.  Everything lately is so muted and unsaturated.  
    Completely disagree.  I think they look great and will be well received by the market.  Too bad the reveal has been spoiled.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 122
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

But I've had it with all-in-ones. I'll never buy a desktop Mac with the screen glued onto it again. 
    As a guy who built PCs for decades, I love my iMac AIOs. My last one lasted 8 years, by the time it was done even the screen was out of date. My new one is 10 lbs lighter and is VESA arm mounted, giving me an ultra clean desk free of any clutter or cables. 

Never cared about the chin. Such complaints seem to be academic ones held by people not actually using the product. You’re in that category too, aren’t you?
    You may not have had problems due to AOI design issues - and that's what they were - but I and many, many others did. 

Try looking into 2009 27" i7 models which were literally 'designed' to slow cook themselves. Or put another way, they were nowhere near efficient enough with the thermals. 

'hidden' Air inlets prone to clogging with dust. Impossibilty get dust out of the machines. Inaccessible entry point requiring glass and display removal. Poor thermals in general. System fans not running fast enough and the killer: throwing Radeon graphics cards into that soup and seeing them fail as a result.

Under warranty Apple would gladly throw another identical card into that soup but it would almost certainly meet the same fate. 

Back in the day I did some research on the issue and found it to be VERY widespread. 

I still have that machine but it will only boot into safe mode. 

The screen is perfect but unusable because its tied to the machine. RAM is perfect. Disk is perfect etc.

The root problem is the design. Then fans not running nearly fast enough (probably not to 'annoy' users) and the combination of the i7 and the Radeon. 

Now, I would love for someone to dig into this particular scenario and force Apple to hand over data on exactly how many  systems failed in this setting according to its records (in or out of warranty). 

The chin is very dated. That's why they'll surely get rid of it. A move that is long overdue. 

edited February 2021 muthuk_vanalingamdysamoriah2p
  • Reply 27 of 122
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    sflocal said:
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

Your complaint is moot.  I think the new iMacs will be essentially a giant iPad with everything soldered in.  Gone will be the days where one could at least upgrade the RAM.

What's your beef with removing the display?  Open that display once (or twice) ever in its life it too much?  I can remove and reinstall my iMac display in minutes.  It's a non-issue.
    I take it that you have never had to carry an iMac to an Apple Store for service and then take the chance they scratch it or mess up the stand.

The thing is too big and awkward to carry in for service.
    When servicing the "computer" part they have to remove the screen and can damage it.
    When servicing my iMac once they removed the stand for some reason and couldn't get it to pivot correctly. Ended up replacing w/the current model.

When my iMac died I replaced it with a laptop and two 5K displays. Much better. When the laptop needs service it portable :) Screens never need to leave home.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondondysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 122
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    dbvapor said:
    Completely disagree.  I think they look great and will be well received by the market.  Too bad the reveal has been spoiled.
    Those aren't the real colors. It's a 3D render based on what Prosser is "hearing".

If you want a more realistic look at what the metal finishes may look like, look at iPad Air colors. They will likely be different to them as well because the amount of metal is a lot larger, lighting a lot different for iMacs.
    StrangeDaysdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 122
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    omasou said:
    sflocal said:
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

I take it that you have never had to carry an iMac to an Apple Store for service and then take the chance they scratch it or mess up the stand.

When servicing the "computer" part they have to remove the screen and can damage it.
    When servicing my iMac once they removed the stand for some reason and couldn't get it to pivot correctly. Ended up replacing w/the current model.

When my iMac died I replaced it with a laptop and two 5K displays. Much better. When the laptop needs service it portable :) Screens never need to leave home.
    You bought a laptop because it was easy to take in for service??  Why not a MM? I usually have my laptop plugged in to a monitor but that is because I often need to do work away from my monitor. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 122
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Looks promising. If they're going to delete the bezel why not incorporate the option operating the device in portrait orientation? I would also not be opposed to having at least one USB-C port and a 3.5 mm audio jack - on the front. I know, it's crazy talk, but not everyone likes blindly fumbling around the back of the Mac-slab trying to find the right open hole and orientation to stick a plug into. The current humpbacked iMac with all the ports lower than the curve of the back hump when viewed from the top is truly a form of masochistic torture by Apple's designers. Apple, what did we do to deserve this? #nomorehump
    dysamoria
  • Reply 31 of 122
    thttht Posts: 5,443member

wizard69 said:
    tht said:
    Hoping that:

1. iMac has 32" display
    2. iMac is compatible with Pro Display XDR stand and has VESA option
    3. External monitor is just the iMac 32 without the computing guts
    4. Mac Half Pro is modular, with room for MPX module, +2 PCIe slots, and 2 HDDs.
    5. iMac 24" has fanless option.
    I'm actually hoping that the Half Pro as you call it is actually an XMac tht has been dreamed of for decades.    I don't see it as a Mac Pro replacement but rather a hgh performance desktop machine that starts at around $1200 to $1500, for a model that doesn't suck.    Basically a place to give us a higher wattage CPU and GPU than can be had in an iMac.    These days no HDD but rather M.2 SSD slots for expansion.    Such a machine could easily fit into an enclosure half the size of a Mac Pro.   In fact one could do as well to bump up the size of the Mini some.

Which brings up the next thought, Apple could really remake the Mini into something incredible with Apple Silicon.   The current M1 Mini is pretty amazing and doesn't even stress the enclosure or the power supply.   Doubling the power dissipation should allow Apple to produce a really fast Mini with an M1X or better chip.   Even then the Mini would likely run cooler than the old Intel offerings.
    Yes, we all hope. Hoping that Apple has gotten over the Jobsian and Ive-esque product lineup philosophy of less is more. They went too far down the product lineup simplification road for their computer lineup in the early to mid 2010s. A MBA15, a headless Mac at $1500 base, external displays, and maybe a workstation laptop should be added to the lineup. They don't need to have a budget line of computers, just a fleshed out lineup that serves more niches. Hard to see them growing the Mac sales significantly without at least offering Macs to more niches.

2013 iMac 27 is growing old. Would prefer to have the external hard drives hung off it be internal for its replacement. Definitely hope for a larger display. If the new iMac has 27" display, likely will go with the Mac Half Pro or xMac thing. If they have a Mac mini with 32 GB RAM, might go with that, and use stacked enclosures in top, on bottom of the Mac mini. This is for a family computer. 
    muthuk_vanalingamdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 122
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    If the mini Mac Pro is just a cube like sealed box it will fail. What would be the difference between it and a Mac mini?
    People who wanted the xMac want to be able to tinker and upgrade it.  For example upgrade the GPU or CPU, add storage, upgrade the RAM.
    which of course is one of the real reasons the trash can Mac pro failed, not thermal issues.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 122
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    sflocal said:
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

I’ve looked at the steps on iFixit, or OWC to remove the display. Honestly I've built systems, I was a Sysadmin for over a decade, I know computers inside and out, and it scares the hell out of me. 
    edited February 2021 omasouMplsPmuthuk_vanalingamd_2blastdoordysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 122
    I hate to sound like a curmudgeon, I've been loving the Mac exterior designs the last few years, but these, if accurate, IMO, are horrible colors, and worst of all lack personality, and look like imaginary PC designs. The small Mac Pro looks like a humidifier. Also, Macs finally shook the inaccurate perception of being "toys", but these colors look like something for infants, and college kids could shy away from them, as they want to be perceived as adults. Why not use the iPhone, and iPhone Pro colors? Anyway, I'm sure Apple has researched the heck out of the colors, so I may be wrong, hopefully. 
    d_2anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 122
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    paxman said:
    omasou said:
    sflocal said:
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

You bought a laptop because it was easy to take in for service??  Why not a MM? I usually have my laptop plugged in to a monitor but that is because I often need to do work away from my monitor. 
    Sorry, guess that was confusing. No, I bought a laptop b/c it is more versatile. I can use it hooked to a large screen(s) and disconnect to take with and use on the go. But when and if it needs service it's a lot easier to carry than an iMac w/a 27" screen.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 122
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    sflocal said:
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

I can remove and reinstall my iMac display in minutes.
    Unless you're talking pre-2010 one, that's a bare faced lie and you know it. There is no way you can cut the display adhesive with pizza slice, remove display including detaching the cables, clean off all the adhesive from both iMac and display, apply new adhesive, reattach the cables and put back together "in minutes". So desperate are you to defend the ridiculousness of the iMac construction you're willing to resort to complete fabrications. 

The magnetic display retention on the pre-2010 iMacs was perfectly fine, and meant repairs were much simpler. I suppose you defend the lack of RAM slot on the 21" iMac  despite the RAM being socketed too?
    muthuk_vanalingamblastdoordysamoria
  • Reply 37 of 122
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    2011 iMacs were the same magnetic design, Elijahg.  I had to open mine up quite a few times to fix the GPU. That was bad enough, I would hate to try it with the current adhesive design.
    the easiest to service was the iMac G5 of 2005.  Just unscrew the back and the guts were all neatly laid out. It even had led lights indicating what the problem was.  Since that model Apple has actively discouraged opening up our machines.
    elijahgdysamoria
  • Reply 38 of 122
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    entropys said:
    2011 iMacs were the same magnetic design, Elijahg.  I had to open mine up quite a few times to fix the GPU. That was bad enough, I would hate to try it with the current adhesive design.
    the easiest to service was the iMac G5 of 2005.  Just unscrew the back and the guts were all neatly laid out. It even had led lights indicating what the problem was.  Since that model Apple has actively discouraged opening up our machines.
    Ah, couldn't remember when they went full-width. Yeah I've had the magnetically retained ones apart, honestly not too bad comparatively. The new ones are a nightmare. I bought a new one in 2012 and the PSU was squeaking, and the Apple service guy said it's such a massive headache to strip it down (PSU is at the back, so literally everything has to come out), that they'd just give me a new one. The machine was a week or so old at that point. Which proves the stupid anti-repair design even makes it hard for Apple's own service techs.

But yeah you're right. The original plastic Core Solo/Duo ones were a bit worse, had some weird latches under the screen you had to poke around with at the risk of scratching the LCD. Then the magnetic, now this abomination of a design. Oh yeah the lights were cool, as was the power indicator. Now you have no idea if the machine is on or what.
    edited February 2021 muthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 39 of 122
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    I would have thought Apple would seek to make the swivel mount of the XDR display universal even maybe take the chance on a new foot stand as standard.

Renders don't feel like products designed for today or this decade. Still last decade but with last seasons fashion colours.
    Maybe they'll look better in person.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 122
    sflocal said:
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

This seems likely as they reap the thermal-constraint gains of Apple Silicon. Appliance computing, in a larger form factor.
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra