Filterless air purifiers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Our lab has a serious issue with dust. I've had a number of power supplies stop working because of dust clogging up the fans, and it's getting annoying. So I'm looking into some kind of small (under $500) air filtration system, and was wondering if anyone else out there has already gone down this road. If so, what did you buy and would you buy it again? I'd prefer something where I don't have to keep buying filters, but that may just be a pipe dream.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    We have two of those Sharper Image ionic breeze filtration systems.... of course you have to clean the filter (reusable metal) every week or so. I think they do a great job.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I have one of those right next to my desk(allergies) and it works great. Cleaning is actually as simple as they make it look in the commercials. The cleaning frequency depends on what setting, high, medium, or low.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    man i want one of those!

de-ionizer that is (aka ionic breeze)
  • Reply 4 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    that's what i wanted too, then someone on our IT list posted that they read in some consumer reports review that it was the worst of the filters reviews.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    shouldn't this be in AO? anyhow, i'm a subrscriber to CR and .pdf'd a review of air filters. CR has the best reports ever and I recommend that you all go to consumerreports.org and subscribe.

don't all attack the link at once, you might kill my 6500

http://www.adamanddanielle.com/air_purifier.pdf
  • Reply 6 of 13
    sweet. dude you rule.

(i put it in GD 'cause in this case it's tech related. need to protect my computer hardware)

thanks for the pdf.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

sweet. dude you rule.

(i put it in GD 'cause in this case it's tech related. need to protect my computer hardware)

thanks for the pdf.

ah i see your point. GD it is. let us know what you decide
  • Reply 8 of 13
    So what's the login and password?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by EdinLA43

So what's the login and password?

login: buyyourown

password: subscription

• Reply 10 of 13
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
  • Reply 11 of 13
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    I bought a unit right before 9-11 and it helped tremendously during the few months thereafter. Mine is by SUN-PURE SP-20. It is expensive but well worth it. I bought it for my cats (one has severe asthma, prob allergic to CATS!). It has two level HEPA filters and one UV lamp that instantly kills/steralizes the filtered air exhaust. I frequently vacuum the first level filter and can see all the dust and cat hair so I know it works. It has a very sophisticated control panel and can automatically adjust to motion detection or toxic/harmful particle detection. It's sensitive. One time my cat farted nearby the purifier and filter/fan level kicked high. The unit is $600 (can be found cheaper @$459) and the replacement filter kit is $125 for a two year usage. It is rare to find it at a store unless it is a highly specialized allergen related store but you can find it on the web.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    http://slashdot.org/

sweet, it made the front page of slashdot.

too bad i already bought one.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Ion-generating purifiers are not very cost effective in comparison to HEPA filter based purifiers. It would cost thousands of dollars to effectively clean the air of a large room with only an ion generator. The same job can be accomplished by a 300 dollar HEPA filter in the corner.

However, there are some debateable studies which show physcological bennefits to running an ion generator. Also, ion-generator equiped units can generally be run at a slower fan speed, creating less noise.

A combination of the two has proved quite effective for people with extreme allergies. When properly designed, an ion-generator can make HEPA filters more efficient.

Also, it is important to note that filters actually remove particulates from the environtment rather than just causing them to drop out of the air onto the floor and even vertical surfaces.