Woman buys iPhone 12 Pro Max, receives apple-flavored yogurt instead

Posted:
in General Discussion
A woman in China was disappointed when she opened a package to find that her new iPhone 12 Pro Max had been swapped with an apple-flavored yogurt drink.

Image Credit: Liu, We Video, as screenshot by Global Times
Image Credit: Liu, We Video, as screenshot by Global Times

In a video uploaded to Weibo on Friday, the woman, named Liu, explained that she spent over $1,500 to buy a new iPhone on Apple's official website. When she later opened the package, someone had switched the contents with a food item instead.

Liu did not receive the package directly from her courier, but rather from a parcel locker in her residential community.

Local police had deemed the swap to be a case of theft, though no one is sure where along the line the switch occurred. Both Apple and Express Mail Service -- the company that delivered Liu's package -- are currently launching an investigation.

An EMS customer service staffer told Global Times on Friday that the incident is still under investigation. "We have appointed colleagues to specially deal with it," she said. According to Global Times, Apple gave a similar response, saying the investigation is still ongoing.

Users on Weibo chimed in to muse about who may have committed the theft, with accusations directed at the courier company, Apple warehouse employees, or even suggesting that Liu may have purchased from a copycat website imitating Apple.

Apple products, and especially high-value iPhones, are often subject of such theft, but usually not from individuals. Recently, five men were caught on security footage stealing $12,000 worth of Apple products, which appeared to be display items, from a Best Buy location in Dover, Delaware, in early December.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Oooooo wow that crazy!!!!! That a lot of money just for juice!!! Hope they get their iPhone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I bought a replacement cell phone battery years ago online and received a shower cap. Not very useful considering my hairline. PayPal refunded my purchase at least.
    paxmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    And apple-flavored yogurt at that. Ew. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    That a be so funny if she did it ha ha ha 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    Ahh...nothing like "Milky Drink" 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    At least it’s a thief with a sense of humour.
    crowleywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Oh man, I can feel the disappointment in my gut!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    And apple-flavored yogurt at that. Ew. 
    Totally gross. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    At least it’s an apple product. 
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I’m glad they’re taking her seriously, but if she’s given an actual iPhone it’ll start a whole lot of copycats claiming the same. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    But it actually is an Apple 12 oz Pro Max, so what’s the problem?  …except maybe the price, which might be considered a little high by some consumers
     :D 
    IreneWwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This illustrates the need for reliable mail service that can be trusted.   Here in the U.S. we have had one since the beginning (Benjamin Franklin was one of the original post masters) and we tend to take it for granted:  NOBODY messes with the U.S. mail.  Hopefully that continues.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    This illustrates the need for reliable mail service that can be trusted.   Here in the U.S. we have had one since the beginning (Benjamin Franklin was one of the original post masters) and we tend to take it for granted:  NOBODY messes with the U.S. mail.  Hopefully that continues.
    A LOT of people mess with the US Mail. That's why there's the USPSIS. And a perfectly reliable MAIL service isn't much help here when Apple uses UPS to ship iPhones.

I'd guess most companies selling an expensive item like an iPhone would routinely use UPS or FedEx (like Apple used to).

But as the article stated, nobody know where the substitution occurred. Here in the US crooks have substituted worthless items for iPhones and iPads purchased from vendors such as Costco. I don't know that anybody has been caught and criminally charged. That bit usually doesn't make the news.

Beating the bottoms of thieves' feet is too good for them, but I'd spare no effort to spoil them in that regard.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macgui said:
    A LOT of people mess with the US Mail. That's why there's the USPSIS. And a perfectly reliable MAIL service isn't much help here when Apple uses UPS to ship iPhones.

I'd guess most companies selling an expensive item like an iPhone would routinely use UPS or FedEx (like Apple used to).

But as the article stated, nobody know where the substitution occurred. Here in the US crooks have substituted worthless items for iPhones and iPads purchased from vendors such as Costco. I don't know that anybody has been caught and criminally charged. That bit usually doesn't make the news.

Beating the bottoms of thieves' feet is too good for them, but I'd spare no effort to spoil them in that regard.

Messing with U.S. mail is a federal offense and, as you point out, does get investigated.    And it doesn't matter where it happens (even on a person's property).   You aren't even allowed to put anything into a person's mail box.

The last thing I had delivered by Apple was actually delivered by courier (it took an hour from the time I ordered it).  He handed it to me and I signed for it.  That was nice.  Even better than U.S. mail and infinitely better than FedEx.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I’m curious to know why this is so funny  :D 
    watto_cobra