My PC is ****ing Toast

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was playing some music on my PC tonight. I stepped away from the computer for a second and heard two nice loud pops. These were followed by a putrid stench. The fan changed speeds and then the computer shut off.

Upon inspection, I found one blown capacitor on my sound card. I removed the card and tried to start up the computer again (which probably broke more and could have caused a fire, but I had to try my luck). The fan ran at a higher-than-normal speed and the computer started to emit a different kind of stink. I pulled the plug.

So, two questions:
  • What caused the problem? Power supply?

• Would there be any salvageable parts in the computer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    probably the power supply.

i would unplug the power supply from the motherboard and check the connectors. i saw this happen once and the metal had melted/fused with the plastic on the MB. bad mojo.

it's tough to know what you can salvage. variable voltage to eletronic parts can cause serious problems. if i were you, i'd use the HD as a non essential drive, nothing storing valuable data. the other hardware should either work or not work.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    it happend to me once...though i had a mac monitor plugged in and it was the video card...haha and the inside lit on fire...and smoke poured out...haha man i forgot how fun that was
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I wanted to sell the thing too... thanks, alcimedes, will do; funny story, ast3r3x. I didn't lose any useful data; it's virtually impossible to create such material with Linux. If luck is still with me to some extent, this might be covered under warranty. Then I might be able to make some money off it still. This is actually hilarious now. Thank you Bombay Sapphire -- your disgusting garbage contains alcohol and it makes me happy.