Apple releases macOS 11.2.2 to prevent certain USB-C hubs and docks from damaging some Mac...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has released macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 with a fix that prevents certain non-compliant USB-C hubs and docks from damaging some models of MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

The update is available to users manually by opening System Preferences then selecting Software Update. It will also be installed automatically on systems for users who enabled that setting.

Not all Macs will see the update. The release notes say that the update will prevent non-standards compliant powered USB-C hubs and docks from damaging MacBook Pro models 2019 or later and MacBook Air models 2020 and later.

This update follows the macOS 11.2.1 update that fixed an issue with MacBook Pro charging and closed a Sudo vulnerability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    How can I test for damage already caused?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    My son's 2019 13" MacBook pro, blew out it's USB-C ports completely while hot plugging some audio devices through a cheap USB-C multifunction hub (USB-3, SD cards, HDMI).  It still had battery life, but wouldn't accept a charge through them either.
    We took it to the apple store, which was able to confirm the issue, and it was repaired and FedEx express shipped 3 days later. 
    Apple Care. I think it was just over a year old. 
    viclauyyccommentzillaMisterKitivanh
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    If your machine still works, you weren't affected.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I wish they would restore the functionality to Messages that was available until Big Sur, to either 1) delete messages with a single click (the little "x" that you could hover over); or 2) select multiple messages at once, like on the iPhone.

As it is, you have to laboriously click on each message, right-click to select the Delete Conversation option, then drag your mouse over to confirm the deletion. It takes me about five minutes a day to methodically go through all the spam messages I get.

Someone on Apple's UX team messed this one up.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    writerguy said:
    I wish they would restore the functionality to Messages that was available until Big Sur, to either 1) delete messages with a single click (the little "x" that you could hover over); or 2) select multiple messages at once, like on the iPhone.

As it is, you have to laboriously click on each message, right-click to select the Delete Conversation option, then drag your mouse over to confirm the deletion. It takes me about five minutes a day to methodically go through all the spam messages I get.

Someone on Apple's UX team messed this one up.

I doubt that many Apple engineers working on Messages are scouring AI threads about USB-C hub hardware incompatibilities. You could try submitting something from this site:

• Reply 6 of 19
    Yep, it happened to my new M1. Is this fix a firmware update?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Vermelho said:
    My son's 2019 13" MacBook pro, blew out it's USB-C ports completely while hot plugging some audio devices through a cheap USB-C multifunction hub (USB-3, SD cards, HDMI).  It still had battery life, but wouldn't accept a charge through them either.
    We took it to the apple store, which was able to confirm the issue, and it was repaired and FedEx express shipped 3 days later. 
    Apple Care. I think it was just over a year old. 
    It took Apple over three weeks to fix my M1 MBP.
  • Reply 8 of 19

I have a brand new 2021 OWC Thunderbolt 4 dock (11 ports) and the USB-C speed is dismal, maxed out at around 200 MB/s. Now I’m wondering if the VAVA USB-C dock has damaged my Thunderbolt controller or if it’s a computability issue, since my Thunderbolt 3 docks all seem to work fine with my M1.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mike54 said:
    USB-C has been a debacle.
    USB is a debacle. They should have tightened the standards and made all of the features, except maybe laptop charging  mandatory for all docks.
    caladanian
  • Reply 10 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Thanks to AI's Thunderbolt dock recommendation, I went with the Caldigit TS+ and loved it so much, I purchased a second one for my office Mac in addition to my home Mac.  It's stable, it works, and without any drama associated with the other TB docks.

Our IT worker here purchased a StarTech dock for a co-worker's MBP and it's been nothing but a pain in the backside.  It doesn't play well with external monitors, the dock's ethernet interface conflicts with certain apps, and it's just unstable.  He saw the dock I use and after my experience, they're going to try that a different Caldigit dock with two DisplayPort jacks.  
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Just installed it on my 2017 5K iMac and my Mac now is hosed. Trying to down grade but it says my HD can not be downgraded. What a huge mess. ThA-plebobviously did little QC on this “upgrade”.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I don't know why Apple would like me to confirm 'enable Siri' on every freaking update when I have it disabled. Still no fix for Share Photos with Apple TV.  No album appear when selecting Share from Photos, and this is probably 4 or 5 major update. Something that was never been a problem in Catalina.
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 13 of 19
    So, is there a list of offending hubs? 

While, I don’t have a new enough Mac to be impacted, it would be nice to know if the hubs I am currently using are flagged so I can look for alternatives.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

While, I don’t have a new enough Mac to be impacted, it would be nice to know if the hubs I am currently using are flagged so I can look for alternatives.
    Not as far as we are aware.

That said, we aren't fans of the brands on Amazon with too many adjacent consonants in their name.
    mpschaefer
  • Reply 15 of 19
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    After doing a fresh clean online install, I am happy to report that 'share photos with Apple TV' is working for selected albums in Photos. Hopefully, Apple will soon fix bugs in Music app.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,930member

That said, we aren't fans of the brands on Amazon with too many adjacent consonants in their name.
    Half of amazon is nothing but a giant flea market for cheap Chinese knockoffs. You're better off going to the Apple Store, B&H or otherworld computing.
    mpschaefer
  • Reply 17 of 19

Ok, thanks.

I've bought all but one of my hubs from name brand stores down here in Australia, as I was concerned about things like plugging in the charger through a unit.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    An update to my above post 151 (reply 16) - after importing my own library, or even creating a new one still has issues with this so no the issue with Share with Apple TV has not been resolved yet. :(

It only shows the albums list if it was created during the installation process by Photos app, but once you delete the the file that was created  as default during the installation process, you can't see the albums, even if you create a new one or restore your previous libraries.