Google Chrome to emulate Apple's Safari ad-tracking privacy ethos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2021
Future versions of Google Chrome will stop supporting ad-tracking cookies, and instead, the company will implement privacy features in the browser similar to Apple's iOS 14 plans.

Google Chrome
Google Chrome

Google has reaffirmed its previous plan to remove ad-tracking cookies from Chrome by 2022, and said it will go further to create "a more privacy-first web." It follows Apple's blocking of cookies in Safari in 2020, and will follow the Cupertino company's iOS 14 privacy features.

"If digital advertising doesn't evolve to address the growing concerns people have about their privacy and how their personal identity is being used, we risk the future of the free and open web," writes David Temkin, Google's Director of Product Management, Ads Privacy and Trust, in a blog post.

Temkin says that despite Google previously announcing it would cease supporting ad cookies, "we continue to get questions."

"Today, we're making explicit that once third-party cookies are phased out, we will not build alternate identifiers to track individuals as they browse across the web, nor will we use them in our products," he says.

Google does not, though, make it explicit when this will happen, nor specify precisely when Chrome will introduce these privacy features. Temkin also avoids mentioning Apple. Instead, he refers to "others in the ad tech industry who plan to replace third-party cookies with alternative user-level identifiers."

Google has previously told developers that it will conform to Apple's App Tracking Transparency plan. Rather than relying on the previous Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA), it will work with Apple's new privacy-focused ad-tracking frameworks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I’ll believe it when I see it. 

Been seeing ads on my iPhone for a Duck-Duck-Go browser so I downloaded it. Works like the Safari ad-on on macOS. Wonder if Google is seeing this as more competition for iOS browsers. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    DuckDuckGo has been used on my iPhones for a very long time and is now  able to be my default browser. The folks at DDG are basically in lock step with Apple's privacy initiatives and have been since their inception.

rob53  said:
    I’ll believe it when I see it. 

Been seeing ads on my iPhone for a Duck-Duck-Go browser so I downloaded it. Works like the Safari ad-on on macOS. Wonder if Google is seeing this as more competition for iOS browsers. 

baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Google Taketh and Google Giveth. The former is always larger than the latter.
    As has been said, "I'll believe it when I see it".

They (Google) won't be giving up all this lovely data that the get from cookies without having at least the same amount slurped by other means already in place.
    Just avoid anything to do with Google if possible. Make them work really hard for the data that they steal from us. Don't give it to them on a plate.

williamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

They (Google) won't be giving up all this lovely data that the get from cookies without having at least the same amount slurped by other means already in place.
    Just avoid anything to do with Google if possible. Make them work really hard for the data that they steal from us. Don't give it to them on a plate.

The article implies Google will be going further with their browser privacy initiatives than even Apple. There's apparently a lot involved with the  Privacy-First Web and Privacy Sandbox initiatives.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 5 of 26

"Today, we’re making explicit that once third-party cookies are phased out, we will not build alternate identifiers to track individuals as they browse across the web, nor will we use them in our products."

The articles' link to the source blog post may not be obvious so you may not have read it.
    https://blog.google/products/ads-commerce/a-more-privacy-first-web/
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 6 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gatorguy said:

The article implies Google will be going further with their browser privacy initiatives than even Apple. There's apparently a lot involved with the  Privacy-First Web and Privacy Sandbox initiatives.
    Yeah, right, so tell us, Mr. Google Fellatio artiste, how will this impact Google’s business model which is to collect user data and sell it to advertisers? Can a leopard really change its spots? I think not.
    williamlondondavgregbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:

Yeah, right, so tell us, Mr. Google Fellatio artiste, how will this impact Google’s business model which is to collect user data and sell it to advertisers? Can a leopard really change its spots? I think not.
    It won't change one iota AFAIK.  They still won't sell personal user data to advertisers after the changes. 

IMO based on your past conduct you don't have a great track record of researching before commenting, but the blog post that explains Google's position is not a long one. If you take two minutes to read it you almost certainly will be more informed about it than you are now. 

For others here with an actual interest in learning of some of the privacy-preserving engineering look into Federated Learning of Cohorts for a start. Google will be doing limited tests of it over the next few months to make sure there are no pointers that might be used that when combined with "other data" could allow third-parties to identify individuals
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 8 of 26
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    So now that Google has data mined humanity they are willing to allow a window shade?
    Hardly.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    gatorguy said:

LOL no, this article implies Google is following in Apple's footsteps yet again. If Apple hadn't prioritized privacy and made it a competing selling point the past many years, and it working, Google wouldn't be doing the same.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    “Google Fellatio artiste”?

baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    gatorguy said:

LOL no, this article implies Google is following in Apple's footsteps yet again. If Apple hadn't prioritized privacy and made it a competing selling point the past many years, and it working, Google wouldn't be doing the same.
    Yes, of course "following in Apple's footsteps" while perhaps walking even a bit further than Apple is. The two statements are not mutually exclusive LOL
  • Reply 12 of 26

gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:

It won't change one iota AFAIK.  They still won't sell personal user data to advertisers after the changes. 
    I think it's clear that when discussing Google, an advertising business, "selling user data" means selling access to users for targeted advertising via profiles (data). Google isn't handling over data to advertisers, they charge them for narrow-casting advertisements to these users. That's what selling user data means in this context. Users are the product.

This isn't even getting into the topic of shadow profiles, where data is actually collected w/o users approval.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_profile
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Rayz2016 said:
    “Google Fellatio artiste”?

That was pretty creative wordplay. :) Funny! 

Ofer
  • Reply 14 of 26
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Yes, of course "following in Apple's footsteps" while perhaps walking even a bit further than Apple is. The two statements are not mutually exclusive LOL
    I don't see any reason to believe Google will be going further than Apple. Since none of this is real at the moment, no one knows. After all, Google is the company that illegally collected wifi data, and routinely ignored "Do not track me" user requests, came up w/ work-arounds, etc. They don't have a good track record when it comes to privacy wishes. Thus they do not get even the benefit of the doubt. And I doubt they will do more than Apple to maintain privacy.
    baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

I don't see any reason to believe Google will be going further than Apple. Since none of this is real at the moment, no one knows. After all, Google is the company that illegally collected wifi data, and routinely ignored "Do not track me" user requests, came up w/ work-arounds, etc. They don't have a good track record when it comes to privacy wishes. Thus they do not get even the benefit of the doubt. And I doubt they will do more than Apple to maintain privacy.
    And "not seeing any reason to believe Google" certainly fine, based stuff that happened several years ago, tho I'd note it certainly isn't the first time your assumptions have been just a tad off lately. ;)

The article simply implies Google will go further, not stating as a fact that they will. Pretty sure that's what I said too. In fact it IS what I said. 
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 16 of 26
    They found a way around it for sure. Now they will shield everyone else out. 

They live off ads, no way they can be privacy forward. 
    StrangeDaysbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    gatorguy said:

"Today, we’re making explicit that once third-party cookies are phased out, we will not build alternate identifiers to track individuals as they browse across the web, nor will we use them in our products."

The articles' link to the source blog post may not be obvious so you may not have read it.

Gatorguy, you know and I know, and everyone else knows, that Google will never stop trampling user privacy until they are forced to do so by law, and enforcement penalties large enough to seriously hurt. So, whatever they say about it, we can all be sure that it isn't the whole story. We can also be sure that they've left themselves an avenue to continue privacy violation, despite what their words appear to say. So, it's rather pointless to try to defend them when we know that, in the end, nothing substantive will really change and it will remain business as usual at Google.
    StrangeDaysbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    It's only upside for Google. Good PR on privacy, and it hamstrings their competitors' ability to track users to advertise effectively. Meanwhile, lots of people who use Chrome sign into it with their Google accounts, which they also use for email, Play services, and so on, so Google can still analyze their behavior, even without cookies.

This should be the topic of anti-trust scrutiny, but it won't be.
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Gruber has a more skeptical interpretation of this announcement:

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2021/03/03/google-temkin-ad-tracking
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

And "not seeing any reason to believe Google" certainly fine, based stuff that happened several years ago, tho I'd note it certainly isn't the first time your assumptions have been just a tad off lately. ;)

The article simply implies Google will go further, not stating as a fact that they will. Pretty sure that's what I said too. In fact it IS what I said. 
    Save your cutie-pie nonsense and say what you mean, as I have no idea what you're on about regarding my assumptions. Sounds like you need to revisit the golden rule w/ what you "assume" (emphasis on "u"). 

As for the article, no, it doesn't imply Google will go further to protect privacy than Apple, whatsoever. Especially considering the ambiguity of the statement and loopholes available to them -- while third-party identifiers may be devalued, Google doesn't need them, as a first-party they already control most of what they need -- the browser, the search engine, the email, the analytics. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra