Privacy-centered browser Brave launching 'Brave Search' engine

Posted:
in General Discussion
Brave aims to provide users with an alternative to data-harvesting search engines with its upcoming tracker-free search engine, Brave Search.

Privacy-centered browser Brave to launch search engine dubbed 'Brave Search'

Privacy continues to be at the forefront of nearly every discussion surrounding Big Tech, with more users growing concerned over what is being done with their data. After all, its hardly a secret that companies like Google and Facebook go through great lengths to cultivate extensive data profiles on their users.

Brave, a free, open-source browser available for MacOS, iOS, Windows, Android, and Linux, hopes to change that with its newest project, Brave Search.

Brave Search will be a privacy-centered search that will not harvest users' data when used. Instead of using collected data to show search results, Brave Search relies on anonymized community contributions.

The project isn't starting from scratch, either. Brave has purchased Tailcat, the team that was formerly responsible for the privacy search and browser at Cliqz. Tailcat will become the foundation of Brave Search.

The developers have worked to make Brave Search transparent, seamless, and open. Brave users will be given the option to participate in index building and alternative ranking models to ensure search diversity and prevent censorship.

Brave Search will utilize options for ad-free paid searches, as well as ad-supported free search. The ads will be part of Brave's privacy-preserving ad platform, Brave Ads.

The new search engine will work both within the Brave Browser and other browsers like Chrome and Safari via a web interface. The company also plans on adding open APIs for non-commercial projects, such as open-source operating system distributions

Additionally, those who use Brave Browser will still be able to use other search engines should they choose to.

Brave Search isn't available yet, but Brave allows people to sign up for early access on their website.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Brave is the brainchild of Brendan Eich, the man who invented Javascript, and the man who was culture canceled and ridden out on a rail from Mozilla because he dared to believe marriage is between a man and a woman. So why would any card-carrying lefty use Brave as their browser? Just asking.

A private browser and a private search engine for free? What’s the business model here?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    lkrupp said:
    Brave is the brainchild of Brendan Eich, the man who invented Javascript, and the man who was culture canceled and ridden out on a rail from Mozilla because he dared to believe marriage is between a man and a woman. So why would any card-carrying lefty use Brave as their browser? Just asking.

A private browser and a private search engine for free? What’s the business model here?

Your attention is valuable. Earn by viewing privacy-respecting ads and pay it forward to support content creators you love.

With your old browser, you paid to browse the web by viewing ads with your valuable attention. You spent your valuable time downloading invasive ad technology that transmitted your precious private data to advertisers — without your consent.

Today, Brave welcomes you to the new Internet. One where your time is valued, your personal data is kept private, and you actually get rewarded for your attention.

If you don't accept "Brave Rewards" or click any of their "free tokens" then they don't make much money. Their hope seems to be pinned on people willing to be shown ads and stay all the way through the trailers. :) They don't share "who you are" with the advertisers tho so that's an improvement
     https://brave.com/brave-rewards/#:~:text=Brave Ads are enabled by,time you view an ad.&text=You'll earn 70% of,accumulate tokens as you browse.
    edited March 2021 Dogpersonviclauyycmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 15
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    If Google should already be in this space under a different brand. Otherwise these other privacy focused engines will just come and keep eating larger and larger portions of their lunch  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    If Google should already be in this space under a different brand. Otherwise these other privacy focused engines will just come and keep eating larger and larger portions of their lunch  
    See this thread...
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/220421/google-chrome-to-emulate-apples-safari-ad-tracking-privacy-ethos#latest
  • Reply 5 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    lkrupp said:
    In other words, a homophobic piece of shit. Good to have heroes, huh?

You understand the irony of someone like you saying gays shouldn’t be allowed to marry and have families, but also complaining about cultures being canceled, right? You’re literally advocating to cancel families of married gays because you’re grossed out by it. Flippin’ donut hole. 
    edited March 2021 viclauyycfastasleeprobabap-dogroundaboutnowtenthousandthings
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    lkrupp said:

What he dared to do was donate to things and people that are Homophobic ( California Prop 8 ) and Racist ( Ron Paul & Pat Buchanan).

robabaroundaboutnowtenthousandthings
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    gatorguy said:
    If you don't accept "Brave Rewards" or click any of their "free tokens" then they don't make much money. Their hope seems to be pinned on people willing to be shown ads and stay all the way through the trailers. :) They don't share "who you are" with the advertisers tho so that's an improvement
    Yes, I think this is a growing movement. I'm not sure how successful it will ultimately be in gaining 'market share' as I'm not sure the average person cares at this point. But, maybe they will some day (I think some are waking up to it more, but caring enough to change behavior is the key).

A lot of podcasts are starting to push towards the 'value for value' model. Advertisers who do the research will also realize that you get the most effective returns if you pick mediums where the audience is targeted by the nature of the content, or even better, with the right kind of advertising (ie. sponsorship or influencer).

Something I've been watching recently VERY closely is what Adam Curry and Dave Jones have been up to at https://podcastindex.org  They are even building block-chain funding models into the spec. I've donated to podcasts I enjoy, and some percentage of people will do that, especially if it improves the content (it does!) and gets rid of the lame ads.

You understand the irony of someone like you saying gays shouldn’t be allowed to marry and have families, but also complaining about cultures being canceled, right? You’re literally advocating to cancel families of married gays because you’re grossed out by it. Flippin’ donut hole. 
    Why is it always ad-hominem and straw-man responses I see to this kind of stuff? One can hold such views for a LOT of different reasons, including a position that is completely secular, and focused on public policy, or religious, etc. It doesn't mean anyone is scared of anything, or grossed out, etc. It's also not contradictory, ironic, or hypocritical.

It's also kind of interesting how everyone is going back in history to seek out anything from the past to cancel with, yet it seems pretty one-sided (in terms of political leanings) to which it is applied.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    There is no "left card", and the left do not think with one mind.  I support marriage equality, but I quite like the Brave browser.  No conflict.

Why is this the first thing you think to post?
    patchythepiraterobabap-dogroundaboutnowDogperson
  • Reply 9 of 15
    lkrupp said:

So do you use Javascript or not, being it was invented by a “homophobic piece of shit”? Do you plan to use or advocate the use of the Brave browser or not for the same reason? Or do you, as others do, play the hypocrite game of condemning the person but not his work out of convenience? You know, there are many here who pontificate daily about about how they have left Facebook, Twitter. Others brag that they never use free Google apps because of Google’s evilness. 
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    lkrupp said:
    Or do you, as others do, play the hypocrite game of condemning the person but not his work out of convenience? You know, there are many here who pontificate daily about about how they have left Facebook, Twitter. Others brag that they never use free Google apps because of Google’s evilness. 
    Actually, I think we should possess the ability to separate the two to some extent, especially in this silly cancel-culture. Someone could do some really great work and have great ideas, etc. while being a total schmuck. Eat the meat, spit out the bones, so to speak. However, I think there is something to be said in terms of 'voting with our dollars' in terms of supporting, or removing support of someone doing bad things.

The problem is more in the judging of good/bad and the methods/extent. It's one thing to say, I think FB is doing bad things so I won't use their service or support them, etc. It's quite another attack Zuck's family, or cut-off his funding down every avenue so he can't feed his family, or put pressure on every company to never hire him... like what is being done to many who are resisting The Official Narrative™ these days. (BTW, you'll also notice that they *have* to use those tactics, because they have no other way moving people to their position. They have no reasonable, consistent arguments. They won't debate. etc.)
    lkrupp
  • Reply 11 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    The Brave Browser concerns me. It seems extremely dubious to explicitly replace ads within a web page with another ad from Brave's servers. It certainly breaks the spirit of copyright law, but I'm not sure if it breaks the letter. Since the beginning of the browser users have had "control" over their rendering of any page that they visit. For example, they can change font sizes or view the HTML source. And now they can block ads. (I must admit, I love Safari's Reader Mode which blocks ads and instantly makes nearly any page readable, the latter of which is the main reason I use it.) But actually REPLACING ads with your own feels really dirty. Have the legal cases against Brave been resolved? I'm worried that Brave might become illegal, so I won't bother with it for now.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    There is no "left card", and the left do not think with one mind.  I support marriage equality, but I quite like the Brave browser.  No conflict.

Because it sticks in my craw that our current cancel culture simply won't tolerate opposing ideas and resorts to economic violence and personal destruction to force compliance. That’s what totalitarianism is and both sides are equally guilty of this.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 13 of 15
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:

Because it sticks in my craw that our current cancel culture simply won't tolerate opposing ideas and resorts to economic violence and personal destruction to force compliance. That’s what totalitarianism is and both sides are equally guilty of this.
    To quote you recently from a different context, “In your dreams.”

You might have some ground to stand on here if you would recognize that one side of your “both sides” has been taken over by people who want to cancel democracy and who lie constantly to achieve that end. They aren’t conservatives and they have long since abandoned the core, founding values of the Republican Party. We are sitting on a knife’s edge, and you seem to think this is a dinner party.

Brendan Eich thinks his views on social issues are special because he’s a technological genius, but they’re really, really not, and he is no more qualified to make pronouncements on mask-wearing and COVID-19 than Dr. Fauci is to criticize JavaScript.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:

And bringing up cancel culture in a thread where it was totally absent is going to help that is it?  Seems to me like you're just playing the provocateur in an attempt to "own the libs", or somesuch nonsense.  Needless antagonism, so take a hike troll.
    tenthousandthings
  • Reply 15 of 15
    But actually REPLACING ads with your own feels really dirty.
    Yeah, that sounds weird. I didn't realize that was going on.

tenthousandthings said:
    You might have some ground to stand on here if you would recognize that one side of your “both sides” has been taken over by people who want to cancel democracy and who lie constantly to achieve that end.
    If you believe the mainstream-media narrative and lies, of course. It's kind of funny that both sides are accusing the other of the same thing. And, in some sense, they are both correct, just in different ways and to different extents. The difference, from my observation, is that on one side, it is a small extremist 'wing' of the movement for which the whole thing is being labeled, while the other side, it seems to be fairly widespread standard practice.

tenthousandthings said:
    Brendan Eich thinks his views on social issues are special because he’s a technological genius, but they’re really, really not, and he is no more qualified to make pronouncements on mask-wearing and COVID-19 than Dr. Fauci is to criticize JavaScript.
    Well, then it seems neither is Fauci. I suppose he knows a bit more about mask wearing than JavaScript, but I wouldn't trust him on either. And, while Eich is certainly no expert in epidemiology (nor am I), you've got a better chance of us being right when we're doing actual research and explaining what we find to the best of our ability, than outright lying.