New tool allows users to transfer iCloud Photos content to Google Photos

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has debuted a new tool that allows users to transfer copies of their iCloud Photos to another service, with Google Photos being the first integration.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

As the company outlined in a new support document, there's a new "Transfer a copy of your data" option on Apple's privacy website that can be used to transfer iCloud media content to Google Photos.

The process doesn't delete any content from iCloud, but transfers a copy of a user's photos and videos to Google Photos. That could make the tool useful for both transferring services and backup purposes.

However, only the most recent edit of a photo is transferred and duplicates will show up as a single piece of content. Smart Albums, Live Photos, photo stream content, and some other format types aren't currently supported. Videos are transferred separately, while photos will likely be transferred together in their own albums.

Users will need two-factor authentication locking down their Apple ID and a Google Photos account with enough storage space for their iCloud content. The transfer takes between three and seven days.

The service is available in Australia, Canada, the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, the U.K., and the U.S. at launch. The service can be accessed online on Apple's privacy webpage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Why? Why all of a sudden is Google portrayed as a good guy? Does Google own rights to all photos stored on Google servers? Thought I read that some place. I believe Facebook does. Is Apple being pressured to do this?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    probably a preventative step against monopolistic rhetoric
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I gave up on doing the photo copy function and trying paste a photo it on to message forums and email.  It just does nothing in the paste.  I think it is a bug or Apple is overprotect because of copyright.  I have to transfer it to Pinterest or Intragram and then copy it from there.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Without looking at all of the details, I'm okay with this because it will give users the option of having an additional backup copy of their photos on a different server platform. Hopefully they'll bring in support for OneDrive and Amazon Drive soon.

Of course this could also lead to a lot of synching and coherency issues and generate needless duplication. I do think we're all heading down a path of having to come to terms with defining our own separation between ephemeral data and archival data. Having our cyber-hoard of data duplicated across multiple server platforms doesn't really get us any closer to dealing with it, it simply increases the total footprint, and cost, of our data hoard.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    rob53 said:
    Why? Why all of a sudden is Google portrayed as a good guy? Does Google own rights to all photos stored on Google servers? Thought I read that some place. I believe Facebook does. Is Apple being pressured to do this?
    Google has rights to them in the same manner and respect as Apple does. Your photos remain your photos. Ownership isn't transferred to the tech company whether using Apple Photos or Google Photos.

For example when Apple in their privacy policy says "you grant Apple a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available, without any compensation or obligation to you." it does not mean Apple now owns your photos to do with as they wish. Google uses the same general wording. The key is that it will only be made available for purposes that you expressly request. 
    edited March 2021 dewme
  • Reply 6 of 12
    rob53 said:
    Are you advocating not to allow the actual photo owner to copy his photos to wherever he wants? What should this be? Good service?

Apple slowly seems to feel the heat from users and start to understand that the strategy of making users’ live hard to switch to other platforms or even to use other platforms in parallel would be ended by a judge/by lawmakers rather sooner than later.

williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 240member
    The less Google I have to deal with the better.
    DogpersonwilliamlondonAndy.Hardwakewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    Trash company can't even figure out how to add an image to email signatures - while every 2bit developer in the world can and has for a decade now. 
    Who cares about more useless features in photos. 
    harry wildwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 12
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    rain22 said:
    Trash company can't even figure out how to add an image to email signatures - while every 2bit developer in the world can and has for a decade now. 
    Who cares about more useless features in photos. 
    Thanks for your opinion and worldview.
    Was wondering what your opinion is on Sunshine?
    edited March 2021 williamlondonmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    What the heck, is it April 1st already?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    Does this transfer include the Photos place, face recognition and auto image tagging data, the latter of which I understand cannot be turned off...?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I hope this is part of a broader collaboration (inspired by contact tracing). If iCloud shared photo albums could be read by Google Photos, that would be awesome.