Apple likely to hold virtual WWDC as other big conventions cancel in-person events

Posted:
in General Discussion
A number of high-profile conventions this week announced in-person gatherings scheduled for spring and summer have been pushed back or cancelled completely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, suggesting Apple will do the same for its Worldwide Developers Conference.

San Diego Comic-Con, E3, and Anime Expo -- all California events -- this week officially cancelled plans to hold in-person gatherings out of public safety concerns, reports The Verge. If held, the typically large gatherings that attract hundreds of thousands of people could quickly become coronavirus superspreader events.

The three conventions are expected to field alternatives to physical events into summer, while one, Comic-Con, is planning a three-day in-person event for November. Other conferences currently slated for fall are taking a wait-and-see approach, likely in hopes of a successful vaccine rollout.

While it has yet to announce intent for WWDC 2021, Apple will likely follow the lead of fellow convention organizers and hold a virtual event as it did in 2020. Last year, the company invited developers to participate in an "online experience" that included an online keynote, informational sessions, technical labs and one-one-one guidance with Apple engineers.

A highly refined production, WWDC 2020 has since served as a template for Apple's famous product unveilings, from iPhone 12 to Apple Silicon Macs. Without an audience to accommodate, Apple is able to showcase its technologies in cohesive video presentations featuring company leaders speaking in rarely seen offices around Apple Park.

Apple is expected to announce WWDC 2021 in the coming weeks. The 2020 online experience was made public in March, with event details following in May ahead of the June conference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    I think Apple did an amazing job with WWDC 2020, virtual or not. If this year's virtual WWDC is anything like last year's virtual event, I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation. I kind of hope that the "new normal" for WWDC, post-Covid, will be some sort of hybrid event with a combination of virtual and in-person events. 
    gregoriusmMacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    They probably don't 'need' to this year, but 1) why risk planning so much for when we should be over the hump, 2) it would hinder most of the international attendees since travel restrictions are still in place (especially when coming to America), and 3), as Dewme stated, Apple did an amazing job with their first virtual WWDC that I feel was better with a pre-recorded and well-produced explanation of HW, SW, and services of their keynote and a great presentation with their sessions.

Obviously, I can't wait for it to be a live event again, but I hope (and expect) that they bring with them some of the skills they learned from WWDC 2020.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I concur with Dewme, the virtual event last year was excellent.  And because it was virtual it was able to be attended by a worldwide audience (more attendees).   I personally would prefer this going forward and eliminating the in-person event.   Saves time and money and the information is clearer and more uniformly distributed.  

Eventually I could see this as being a year 'round process (once, twice, or even maybe monthly) as the pace of changes (updates and upgrades to software tools) evolve at an ever faster rate.  Obviously not on the same scale.  This would also allow Apple's teams to not be restricted to annual major upgrade cycles and they could be timed to assist in hardware rollouts.  A lot more possibilities with virtual learning events.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Although I also believe it will be virtual this year too, there’s nothing like being there in person. Apple should do a hybrid of some sort in the future, especially since their events get sold out so quickly and I hear the tickets can get very expensive. 

I miss Mac World :neutral: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Although I also believe it will be virtual this year too, there’s nothing like being there in person. Apple should do a hybrid of some sort in the future, especially since their events get sold out so quickly and I hear the tickets can get very expensive. 

I miss Mac World :neutral: 
    I don't miss working my stand there though... although Mac World was a Breeze compared to DRUPA.
    watto_cobra