Billie Eilish film 'global smash' hit for Apple TV+

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2021
Industry sources claim that the recent Billie Eilish documentary is the biggest hit Apple TV+ has yet had with young adult audiences around the world.

"The World's a Little Blurry," the Apple TV+ documentary about musician Billie Eilish, is said to have drawn a record-breaking number of viewers to the service. Following its simultaneous premiere in over 100 countries on February 25, it has particularly attracted young adult viewers.

Apple has not released any viewing figures, but Deadline magazine claims that the documentary "became the biggest hit title for young adult audiences that Apple has had so far."

The magazine reports that the film "drew a record-breaking 33% new viewers to the service." Just under half of that figure came from outside the US.

The magazine does not detail its sources. It also does not detail figures beyond percentages to make the claim that the film "was number one among young adults across the globe."

It does, however, say that at least some of this information is "per Apple." AppleInsider has reached out to Apple for comment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I was one of those who said "what has she done in her young career to warrant a documentary?"  Of course, that isn't the right question.  It's not about "worthiness."  It's about whether there is a story to be told that will be of interest to viewers.  Now that I have watched (half of) it, I can say that there is.  She's an impressive young lady, and it's fascinating how her family support her and her brother in making their music, literally in their bedrooms. You may not like her music or her voice, but if you watch the pic you will likely walk away at least acknowledging that she (and her brother) did the work to achieve their success.  And it's nice to see a likeable person enjoy success and truly appreciate her fans and her good fortune.

Good for whoever at Apple snapped this up.
    edited March 2021 tmaydewmeXedlolliverfastasleepOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Hey I’m 74 and I love her and this documentary too! It’s not just for kids! And I love Apple TV+ too.
    edited March 2021 dewmeXedrandominternetpersonlolliverOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I haven’t seen the documentary yet, but I did see an interview with her and she’s a lot more mature than many people three and four times her age. I especially like her stance (and song, I believe) on not doing things like drinking or taking drugs just because your friends are. 
    dewmerandominternetpersonlolliverOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    I was one of those who said "what has she done in her young career to warrant a documentary?"  Of course, that isn't the right question.  It's not about "worthiness."  It's about whether there is a story to be told that will be of interest to viewers.  Now that I have watched (half of) it, I can say that there is.  She's an impressive young lady, and it's fascinating how her family support her and her brother in making their music, literally in their bedrooms. You may not like her music or her voice, but if you watch the pic you will likely walk away at least acknowledging that she (and her brother) did the work to achieve their success.  And it's nice to see a likeable person enjoy success and truly appreciate her fans and her good fortune.

Isn't that true of most successful people?  Not sure it's worthy of a documentary (at least to me) but if others enjoy her talent then great!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I have seen it and it’s very good. 

She is so young and her life is so different from the average person, because she is not average at all!

She and her brother have an amazing set of skills! 

Her support system is very good and she is just amazing. 
    randominternetpersonlolliverOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    ITGUYINSD said:

Isn't that true of most successful people?  Not sure it's worthy of a documentary (at least to me) but if others enjoy her talent then great!
    Enjoy and are inspired by her talent.  That's the thing, we all have different types of people we're inspired by.  If seeing someone achieve so much at a young age inspires younger people more than seeing established industry veterans, then why not showcase her?  I haven't checked the documentary out yet, but it's on my to watch list.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member

It makes me happy that you've come around. 🙌

If you haven't heard her older brother's solo work, it's worth checking out. Eilish has been on my radar since her first single at age 15(?) which Finneas was instrumental in developing, but I hadn't heard him until this episode of Colbert.

randominternetpersonlolliverOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Waiting for the other Shatner profile to chime in, because he's super triggered that this documentary exists at all. I'm looking forward to watching it!
    Oferwatto_cobra