Post your 970 Tower mock ups

Comments

• Reply 121 of 215
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Actually, correction. Thinner, more refined, and more austere than retro is this Appelele mockup which bears some resemblance:

http://theapplecollection.com/design...fulmac_r7.html

If the PowerMac design is close to this, I might consider it over a portable for my next purchase.
  • Reply 122 of 215
    m@dm@d Posts: 2member
    Just for the hell of it, this is what I cooked up....

• Reply 123 of 215
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M@D

Just for the hell of it, this is what I cooked up....

I like this a lot! A Power Mac with xServe design language. Vertical symmetry would be cool too. The xServe and xRaid hard disk modules are smaller than a 5.25" bay, so there may have to be some mods to it for realistic dimensions. However, I'm fine with what you have and having more than module design.
  • Reply 124 of 215
    m@dm@d Posts: 2member
    Ok, version 1.5

• Reply 125 of 215
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't like it at all. The Xserve language doesn't fit the PM at all because beasically the Xserve is designed to fit an industrial space and it's shape is dictated by that, they chose nice materials and a good design for the drives/access, but the "look" is completely incedental to the use. The more I look at Xserve style PM mock ups the more I know that the two looks don't match.

The PM is supposed to sit on or under a desk and have a bunch of periperals hooked into it at any given time. It wants to be in an environment where it might get shoved around a bit, handled, opened, closed etc etc. Those metal boxes just look like metal boxes, they aren't inviting in the least. The PM has to also be attractive, the horizontal lines of the Xsere do not interact with the vertical shape of the PM in any sort of flattering way.

It just ends up looking like one of those gawdy taiwanese aluminium cases.
  • Reply 126 of 215
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bradbower

Actually, correction. Thinner, more refined, and more austere than retro is this Appelele mockup which bears some resemblance:

http://theapplecollection.com/design...fulmac_r7.html

If the PowerMac design is close to this, I might consider it over a portable for my next purchase.

So you can stand it up or lay it down like the PS2? That's sweet and the design is nice too. I think tho that the grooves should not encompass the entire case, maybe just as an accent somewhere. It's too rigid, too busy and not smooth flowing lines like Apple usually releases [except xserve]
  • Reply 127 of 215
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    What the hell......

• Reply 128 of 215
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

What the hell......

El capitan still wins my heart. Slot-loading just blows, but what is the darker square near the bottom, out of curiosity?
  • Reply 129 of 215
    camcam Posts: 35member
    Might as well give it a shot:

Mockup

edit: There would be a curved recess in the top of the case to allow you to get your hand around the "handle".
  • Reply 130 of 215
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M@D

Ok, version 1.5

What does it look like with the 3.5" drives in a vertical position? You might be able to fit three or four in that way :drool:

I like the mix of Xserve and PowerMac. It makes the PM look more powerful.
  • Reply 131 of 215
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CAM

Mockup

edit: There would be a curved recess in the top of the case to allow you to get your hand around the "handle".

Dig the grilles! For me it's all about the grilles, the aluminum, and the rounded corners.
  • Reply 132 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by CAM

Hands down the nicest look so far, but probably a bit overly expensive to mfg. as the handle and shape looks more like a billet structure than something easily achieved in polycarbonate. I like this look a lot though. It kind of has a bit of the techno-sleek look of the Powerbooks and XServes combined with a good ol' fashioned radio. It's like techno-retro, perhaps even a bit of a modern interpretation on the Art Deco look.

I know a lot want to see the handles retained, and I admit to liking them too... but I just don't feel you can integrate the handles into the current Mac design scheme, without having them fold away or conceal. Which could be the direction to go with it.

As far as the cube idea... why does it have to be a "Small" cube. The old NeXT Dimension cubes were more akin to a regular desktop footprint in size, only bigger. So instead of a 12" cube, it'd be more like a 15-17" cube.

I also like the "pizza box" NeXT-Slab look... and could see something like the above theme applied to that, sans handles, or perhaps with a pair of loop handles off of the back. I do believe a single slot Mac based off of the eMac platform could be a good "entry-level" machine to undercut the all-in-one's... but I don't feel it will spawn itself from the "PRO" line motherboard.

As far as the Alienware cases... they're not built by Alienware, they're made by Chieftec in England ( http://www.chieftec.com/ ) and the revised version is a version made by Chieftec's Chinese affiliate. The Chieftec case is known as the "Dragon", while the Chinese case is called the XPider. The only differences that I've seen are the two-tone colors and the differing door design.

I've also heard rumor that they (Alienware) might sell a Thermaltake case-equipped PC but I'm uncertain of that. You can find all of these PC cases at http://www.case-mod.com/ or http://www.colorcases.com/ The Thermaltake case is viewable at http://www.thermaltake.com/. It's not as sharp as the Chieftec cases, but with case fan controls, temperature monitoring, and some of the most wicked heat sink fans out there... it's definitely a cool case from a tech standpoint.

Apple's look will likely be shaped more like an iPod I figure, as in that "filleted-rectangle" look. It'll probably be at least partially aluminum, if not aluminum and aluminum colored plastic, or perhaps a clear/tinted clear, or silver plastic. I would say the "Lucite" look like the iPod, but it would contrast with the pro-lineup laptops; which I think Apple is trying to create two distinctive looks... the iLine (white lucite and clear) and the pro line (aluminum).

This of course is presumptious that Apple sticks with the same design philosophy. I'm inclined to believe that they will for a bit, but I do believe there will be a radically redesigned case design for desktops eventually. Losing the handles would kind of suck, but I don't see much way of keeping them and following the new design theme, unless you push in on a set of scribed rectangular shapes on the top of the case or front of the case and a spring-loaded set of handles pop-up out of the top of the case or the front/back of the case. That could probably be done for an affordable sum, or perhaps a pair of of handles that are hinged to the top of the case (via nice quality machine screws) and fold over the front and back of the case to appear "hidden".
  • Reply 133 of 215
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I like the small silver boxes with the grooves round it, PS2 stylie one. But if its a powermac, threre MUST be plenty of space for upgrade cards.

Custom sound hardware, gfx, video capture etc. Maybe with the new pci technology (I think intel are calling it pci-express) would enable these cool silver boxes to be linked together
  • Reply 134 of 215
    ziplocziploc Posts: 41member
    what i like about this one is that I can envision a push in/slide out method of accessing the innards. Instead of having to have the extra room on your desk to open the side door as now, you can just have everything come straight out. Motherboard on one side, drives, etc on the other. It would have to come out on rails that were strong enough to support it in the open poistion even while being worked on, cards pushed in, etc. And counter balanced as well. If you had enough slack in your cords you wouldn't have to disconnect them they would just follow the case inside. If you could combine this idea with CAM's design, that would be cool.

-zip

[/B][/QUOTE]
  • Reply 135 of 215
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It's just like a PC? The drop down door gives access between all the components not just viewing access. What you have there is just like pulling the case off a 9500. There is no diff.
  • Reply 136 of 215
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Well, I guess I'll put up my "mods" of other's ideas. I say this because I took some existing pix and changed them to look similar to the existing PowerMac case. Just for comparison, I added the existing case into the picture. As is obvious, The current case is on the left and XServe style is in the middle. I liked Outsider's black ribbed idea and incorporated it into the XServe styled case, the result is on the right.

BTW, the XServe case has input vents to accommodate a 92mm fan, and the case on the far right can accommodate a 120mm input fan. Exhaust air leaves throught the top and the rear of the case. Still working on views for that . . . Internal arrangement could allow for 4 internal IDE HDDs (mounted vertically , ala Lian Li PC61 case, behind the front intake fan), and as can be seen, two 5.25" externally accessible bays for DVD / CD drives. Extra fan provisions can be incorporated into the left side panel (I'm still working on some ideas there). A flush bar-type handle can be incorporated into the top panel (flush, because I'd like to preserve smooth lines and case strength). The thing to remember about fans is . . . smaller diameter fans require higher RPMs to produce significant airflow, and thus are noisy because of the higher RPMs. A larger diameter fan can run quieter because it doesn't need to run as fast, while producing an appreciable amount of airflow.

I also experimented with changing the colors of the aluminum to give it an anodized color effect. I think the brushed aluminum effect with the black looks the most professional,

Special thanks to Outsider for helping me here!

And yes, it looks like a PC variant, but there are only so many ways you can situate the items for internal layout and keep things small. I also would like to see Apple's offerings allow for more "personalization" of the case. Flat panel aluminum allows for easier personal modding.

edit: I can't spell
  • Reply 137 of 215
    These 2 at least have seams in the right places so a drop down side pannel could work.

I'm hungry for a G5... Comon' Apple!
  • Reply 138 of 215
    tsukuritetsukurite Posts: 192member
    I like this one:

http://www.geocities.com/thenewg5/

Keeps the handles, albeit in a different form, and is a nod to the El Capitan case.

tsukurite
  • Reply 139 of 215
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tsukurite

I like this one:

Keeps the handles, albeit in a different form, and is a nod to the El Capitan case.

tsukurite

Me likes ! Looks nice and clean with a jet-fighter look to it.

And I also give a nod to macJedai too, looks much more refined than my original although I think there is not much need for so many front ports. Apple would not put so many up front; USB would be had on the keyboard or monitor (most non-Apple monitors support this now) and I think one firewire would be sufficient, for it would mostly be used for quick temporary hard drive hook ups or a vid camera hook up. Other than that looks sharp.
  • Reply 140 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by tsukurite

I like this one:

tsukurite

#1) How do you open it?

Mochups are nice, but Apple will do much better IMO.