iPhone 11 reunited with owner after spending 6 months in a lake

Posted:
in iPhone
A diver has recovered an iPhone 11 from the bottom of a lake in British Columbia, one that managed to survive submerged for almost 6 months.

Chilliwack free divers Clayton Helkenberg and wife Heather have a hobby of diving to the bottom of lakes to find lost items and clear rubbish. In a video released on Thursday, he revealed he had discovered an iPhone at the bottom of Harrison Lake.

On exploring the lake bed, Heather noticed the iPhone amongst sediment, while Clayton found a flip phone, reports CBC. While Clayton's find was severely damaged, Heather's iPhone discovery was in far better condition.

"I took it home, cleaned the dirt off of it, and it just turned right on, so it was pretty amazing," said Clayton. Aside from a broken microphone and speaker issues, the iPhone emerged largely unscathed from the ordeal.

After ejecting the SIM and putting it into another device to contact the original owner, it was returned to Vancouver resident Fatemeh Ghodsi. The iPhone was reportedly dropped during a boat ride in September, and contained photos of Ghodsi just before the drop.

"I was in a situation where I kind of lost balance and dropped it in the water," said Ghodsi. Staff members at the park told her it was impossible to find the iPhone in the water, forcing Ghodsi to leave empty-handed.

Ghodsi later replaced the iPhone with another mobile device.

On receiving a text from her old number, the iPhone's owner thought it was friends pranking her, but was later convinced to visit Chilliwack to retrieve her smartphone.

"I was in complete shock, initially to start with," she continued. "It was kind of like a zombie phone coming back to me, because I'd totally make peace with it being gone."

The water-resistance of iPhones has led to numerous other reports over the years, where iPhones are dropped into bodies of water then retrieved at a later time.

In February 2020, Disney officials returned an iPhone to its owner, after scuba divers picked it up from the Seven Seas Lagoon two months after being dropped. One year later in February 2021, a man jumped into Victoria Inner Harvour in British Columbia to retrieve his iPhone XS from the freezing water.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    How did the battery charge last 6 months? The diver must have plugged it in.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    n2macs said:
    Yeah, that's safe to assume.

First, let me say that his is very impressive and well beyond the advertised or expected water-proof-ness of the iPhone.

However, it's kinda funny that a phone with that no longer works as a phone (damaged speaker and microphone) is considered "largely unscathed."  It's like many of us said when the iPhone came out--it's really not a "phone."  It's a portable computer that can make phone calls (as can a laptop for that matter, but not via cell networks).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Wow. This should be an ad for how well-built the darn thing is. Feature the diver.
    Scot1
  • Reply 4 of 22
    BombdoeBombdoe Posts: 56member
    further proof of Apple's directive of planned obsolescence...

Rayz2016viclauyycwatto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 5 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Ghodsi later replaced the iPhone with another mobile device. 

Heh
    watto_cobrayoyo2222
  • Reply 6 of 22
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Apple might offer a free replacement so that Apple engineers can examine how well it survived. I'm sure Apple can do tests like this itself, but it takes time and expense to do that.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 22
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    n2macs said:

First, let me say that his is very impressive and well beyond the advertised or expected water-proof-ness of the iPhone.

However, it's kinda funny that a phone with that no longer works as a phone (damaged speaker and microphone) is considered "largely unscathed."  It's like many of us said when the iPhone came out--it's really not a "phone."  It's a portable computer that can make phone calls (as can a laptop for that matter, but not via cell networks).
    Bluetooth.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Wow. This should be an ad for how well-built the darn thing is. Feature the diver.
    Yet the Apple Discussion Forums aways have posts from users claiming they simply sprinkled a small amount of water on their iPhones and they quit working. Go figure.
    edited March 2021 randominternetperson
  • Reply 9 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So, why did Apple lie to us?
    ...  They told us it was good for 30 minutes.
    ........ This shows it's good for over 250,000 minutes!
    ................  They were off by 833,000% !!!!

Ya really can't trust a company that lies like this!
    :)
    lkruppwatto_cobrarandominternetpersonBombdoeanantksundaram
  • Reply 10 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Quite impressive. The article doesn’t say how deep the water was, but I assume it was deeper than the 2m spec for ip68. And well beyond 30 min (it almost made 30 weeks!)

Not surprisingly the speakers didn’t fare too well. What I find interesting is that despite the recent claims that Apple may remove the lightning port for water resistance, the port really doesn’t seem to be an issue. It would appear that Apple should remove the speakers and not the lightning port!
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamrandominternetperson
  • Reply 11 of 22
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    n2macs said:

TBH for me the phone is the least important part of the iPhone. If I got this device back with a bad speaker and mic I'd be about 90% functional. The screen and wireless connections are still functional. Web, mail, texting, connecting through a wireless speaker, it would be largely functional for me. 

(In the last month I used my iPhone about three times to actually make or receive a call.)
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    DAalseth said:
    n2macs said:

TBH for me the phone is the least important part of the iPhone. If I got this device back with a bad speaker and mic I'd be about 90% functional. The screen and wireless connections are still functional. Web, mail, texting, connecting through a wireless speaker, it would be largely functional for me. 

(In the last month I used my iPhone about three times to actually make or receive a call.)
    I agree with you. That's why it's funny that it's called a "smart phone."
  • Reply 13 of 22
    "Wow! That's amazing! Still turns on!" **Gives a thumbs-up as she nervously hides her iPhone 12 Pro Max, which the insurance-claim bought her for her loss.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    How deep was the lake? How far down was it?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    How deep was the lake? How far down was it?
    The article doesn't say. the person who found it was free diving, not scuba, so it couldn't have been too deep. Though the water now is lower than it would have been in September.
    www.cbc<dot>ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cell-phone-recovered-from-harrison-lake-1.5937753
  • Reply 16 of 22

DAalseth said:
    n2macs said:

I agree with you. That's why it's funny that it's called a "smart phone."
    It is a weird anachronism. 
  • Reply 17 of 22
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    n2macs said:
    The lake water is frigid which acted literally as cold storage (like a refrigerator). Remember that we are talking about a lake in British Columbia. Look at the snow-capped mountains: their runoff feeds this lake.

The hyperlinked article notes that the diver just turned on the phone (no note about charging it).

Apple's iPhone standby durations are based on ordinary room temperature conditions -- not near-freezing submersion.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 18 of 22
    mpantone said:
    n2macs said:
    The lake water is frigid which acted literally as cold storage (like a refrigerator). Remember that we are talking about a lake in British Columbia. Look at the snow-capped mountains: their runoff feeds this lake.

The hyperlinked article notes that the diver just turned on the phone (no note about charging it).

Apple's iPhone standby durations are based on ordinary room temperature conditions -- not near-freezing submersion.
    He says towards the end of the video that he plugged it in. Battery performance is severely impaired at low temperatures, not improved. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 22
    vrvrvrvr Posts: 1member
    I'm curious about this aspect of the story:
    "On receiving a text from her old number, the iPhone's owner thought it was friends pranking her, but was later convinced to visit Chilliwack to retrieve her smartphone."

Does that mean the original owner did not report the old phone/SIM as lost and kept paying the monthly fee on it? Or perhaps it was a pre-paid SIM and the owner simply chose to abandon the original number when getting a new device?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    mpantone said:
    n2macs said:

He says towards the end of the video that he plugged it in. Battery performance is severely impaired at low temperatures, not improved.
    Batteries lose their stored charge more slowly at lower temperatures. Their operational performance is negatively affected by low temperatures.

Heat is the true enemy of batteries. This is not specific to smartphone batteries.

One can get years of additional storage life from batteries if they are stored at low temperatures (like tossing your alkaline cells in the refrigerator).
    edited March 2021 mknelsonmuthuk_vanalingam