Apple 'AirTags' and iPad Pro event now rumored for March 23

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2021
A new leak claims that Apple's "AirTags" event will be held on March 23, one week later than previous reports speculated.

'AirTags' image concept from Front Page Tech
'AirTags' image concept from Front Page Tech

Following reports that Apple's rumored March 16 event would not happen, a new tweet from a previously reliable source claims that it will be on March 23 instead.

Kang : The OnePlus 9 new product launch event and Apple event are held on the same day.

It seems that the Apple event is on March 23rd.

-- DuanRui (@duanrui1205)

This report contains no information about what Apple will launch. However, based on previous leaks and supply chain claims, it's likely that the event will see the launch of "AirTags."

These are the much-anticipated, and much-rumored, tracking devices that Apple has not announced -- but details of which keep appearing in iOS betas, and regularly also leaks. "AirTags" will let users track their devices when lost, and are predicted to cost between $25 and $35 each.

It's also likely that there will be an update to the iPad Pro at a March event. Previous reports have indicated that both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch models will be updated, and they may be thicker to support a new backlighting system.

The 12.9-inch iPad Pro may be the first Apple device to use mini-LED backlighting.

It's possible that there may also be an iPad mini refresh, chiefly because that was last updated in March 2019. There have, though, been rumors of an early-2021 update.

Apple is believed to have new Apple Silicon iMacs in the works, and if one is to be released in March, it is most likely to be the recently-rumored 24-inch iMac. This is expected to have a 4K Retina display, and to feature a new design with reduced bezels.

It's also conceivable that Apple will announced new models of AirPods, especially since "AirPods 3" are expected to launch soon.

Among other devices that could possibly be updated in March is the Apple TV.

There is also no new detail about what form the event may take, but it is most likely to be another virtual one filmed at Apple Park.

Tweeter DuanRui was previously correct when first to reveal the name of the iPhone 12 mini. DuanRui was also first to show teardown images of the iPhone 12.

As noted by DuanRui, March 23 is the same date that will see the launch of the OnePlus 9 phone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    If AirTags aren't announced at the next event can we stop talking about them?
    mobirdasdasdflyingdpiyfcalvincornchipllama
  • Reply 2 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    jdb8167 said:
    I second this motion. 
    jdb8167
  • Reply 3 of 12
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    jdb8167 said:
    Why?  I happen to be interested in them.
    cornchipwatto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Could be a real thing, since this got not firstly announced by Jon Prosser.
    But I guess he will claim this as HIS announcement, just to polish his lacked credibility, if there was any.
    On the 67th prediction of Airtags being released he might be right this time, after some other 'leaker' raised its speech. 
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I’ll be believe it when I see it. 
    jdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    fred1 said:
    jdb8167 said:
    Because we have been hearing about how they are going to be released any day now for over a year. If there is any question to Apple’s ability to keep things secret this is your answer. No one really knows what’s going on with these. At some point you have to wonder if this is Apple’s idea of a practical joke. 
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 7 of 12
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    They should have just bought Tile in my opinion.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Surprise 16” Apple Silicon MBP, please?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    These air tag thingies could be a real disaster for Apple if they screw it up. That anti-stalking stuff has to be flawless. Apple has made privacy its signature, marquee product and anything that is rumored to or even alleges that it has failed will make antenna gate look laughable. If "don't hold it like that" turns to "be sure you check your notifications  to see if someone with a restraining order has been watching you in the last few minutes" Apple is...well...dooooomed.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    fred1 said:
    jdb8167 said:
    Im very excited about these. Our tile (for my wife’s car keys) has become glitchy and now just a couple days ago, basically inoperable. Would much rather go with this Apple solution as a replacement. If it works on our older devices that is...

eightzero said:
    These air tag thingies could be a real disaster for Apple if they screw it up. That anti-stalking stuff has to be flawless. Apple has made privacy its signature, marquee product and anything that is rumored to or even alleges that it has failed will make antenna gate look laughable. If "don't hold it like that" turns to "be sure you check your notifications  to see if someone with a restraining order has been watching you in the last few minutes" Apple is...well...dooooomed.

I dunno, I mean are there a bunch of horror stories about tile trackers? I live under a rock so this is an actual question. Either way I imagine Apple would do much better than tile at security and ease of use.

edited March 2021 watto_cobrallama
  • Reply 11 of 12
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    eightzero said:
    This isn't new technology, anyone could've attached a tracker to you at any point in the last decade at least. Why is Apple on some slippery slope? I'd argue they're the *most likely* to have thought out and implemented privacy controls.
    llama
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Imagine Apple doing an event to release a product that costs $25 to $35!