Ongoing & enormous Microsoft Exchange server hack hits 30,000 US groups

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    rob53 said:
    I guess none of you realize every country, especially the US, is involved in computer espionage on a daily basis. Before you complain about the Chinese or Russians check out the NSA, CIA and many others. 
    That's worth repeating even though it will fall on many deaf ears.

Everyone with the resources to carry out these kinds of attacks is doing so in some form or another the US is probably in the top five. 

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    qwerty52 said:
    cg27 said:
    Looks like the Chinese didn’t want to be outdone by the Ruskies.

These communist dictatorships are desperate for western tech.  The Chinese should be embarrassed of their blatant stealing.  At least the Russians had a legitimate space program developed on their own.

And shame on us for being so naive.
    And all those “hacking groups” are in fact a part of the Chinese state and/or army.  So being naive on this
    it is a crime.
    Funny how the hacking attack was carried out from U.S. servers -- but we, without evidence, blame the Chinese military.
    So you're accusing Microsoft of being in on this conspiracy now?  What's in it for them?
  • Reply 23 of 48
    OsamedeOsamede Posts: 3member
    cg27 said:
    mac_dog said:
    cg27 said:
    The Chinese should be embarrassed of their blatant stealing.
    The Chinese have defeated the US as far as their economy and I’m sure their embarrassed. 

If we could get our congress to stop reading Dr. Seuss and playing with children’s toys, we might not need to worry about it. 
    Last I checked the Chinese don’t use GAAP accounting standards and have a lot of shady investments going on.  Also, of their 1.4B people, probably 1B are living hand to mouth, in very polluted air and water, not to mention in a totalitarian regime.  Hardly what I would consider a great economy, let alone a great place to live.  No thanks.
    "GAAP" was no barrier against the mass financial fraud that caused the 2007 economic crash, did not protect the citizens of Flint MI from being poisoned by water as a profit machine, and according to Sowden revelations does not stop all the US companies that are participating in US state regime sponsored mass surveillance of US citizens and everyone else on the planet.

There’s nothing to like about hackers, but pretending you are standing on holy land is pure delusion…
    GeorgeBMacFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 24 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    crowley said:
    qwerty52 said:
    cg27 said:

These communist dictatorships are desperate for western tech.  The Chinese should be embarrassed of their blatant stealing.  At least the Russians had a legitimate space program developed on their own.

And all those “hacking groups” are in fact a part of the Chinese state and/or army.  So being naive on this
    it is a crime.
    Funny how the hacking attack was carried out from U.S. servers -- but we, without evidence, blame the Chinese military.
    So you're accusing Microsoft of being in on this conspiracy now?  What's in it for them?

LOL...
    .... Where the hell did I ever say or imply that?

Are you on drugs?   Or maybe you should be?
  • Reply 25 of 48
    docbburkdocbburk Posts: 109member
    rob53 said:
    I guess none of you realize every country, especially the US, is involved in computer espionage on a daily basis. Before you complain about the Chinese or Russians check out the NSA, CIA and many others. 
    The fact that they are using it to steal tech/industrial secrets, scientific research, and steal info in order to win bids on contracts worldwide for Chinese companies is where it gets criminal.  Sadly the current administration says “China isn’t an enemy.  China isn’t a competitor. .......”. I hope they get their head out of their backside on this topic. 
    cg27
  • Reply 26 of 48
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    An analogue telephone and a piece of paper and a pen or pencil, will beat the most advanced hackers any day... 
    Not surprised it's a Chinese group and I doubt very much any punishment will come from it. Probably state supported group anyway in some form or another.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 27 of 48
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    cg27 said:

If that was so, why then are many Western countries including America busy hacking Asian countries with their own cyber security teams?
    I think you've given too much credit to the ideology portrayed by mass media. 

And as a point, who do you think builds all your Apple products? Who developed the production lines and processes for that? And indeed the majority of the entire planets electronics....
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 28 of 48
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    Osamede said:
    cg27 said:
    mac_dog said:
    cg27 said:
    The Chinese have defeated the US as far as their economy and I’m sure their embarrassed. 

If we could get our congress to stop reading Dr. Seuss and playing with children’s toys, we might not need to worry about it. 
    Last I checked the Chinese don’t use GAAP accounting standards and have a lot of shady investments going on.  Also, of their 1.4B people, probably 1B are living hand to mouth, in very polluted air and water, not to mention in a totalitarian regime.  Hardly what I would consider a great economy, let alone a great place to live.  No thanks.
    "GAAP" was no barrier against the mass financial fraud that caused the 2007 economic crash, did not protect the citizens of Flint MI from being poisoned by water as a profit machine, and according to Sowden revelations does not stop all the US companies that are participating in US state regime sponsored mass surveillance of US citizens and everyone else on the planet.

There’s nothing to like about hackers, but pretending you are standing on holy land is pure delusion…
    No country or ideology is anywhere near perfect.  For anyone to claim China’s system is robust without also mentioning the complete lack of transparency and the sad reality of what the environmental and individual rights toll has been and continues to be is misguided.  China has certainly pulled itself up remarkably over the past four decades, by sheer will but also by stealing vast amounts of IP and by their workers and environment being exploited.  No doubt their five and ten year plans can be carried out compared to the west because whatever the communists dictate can be achieved, at any cost to their environment and citizens.  No free press to counter.

Perhaps the better Asian examples would be Japan, Taiwan and S. Korea, albeit they too are far from perfect.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    What bothers me most about this is that Microsoft was recently chosen to build and maintain the central hub of our national defense -- the $10 Billion JEDI contract.

Why would anybody pick an organization infamous for its porous security for such a critical mission?

I haven't seen many cases of MS applications and services (Windows Server, SQL, Exchange, MS 365, Azure, etc) being compromised, at least in recent years.  Maybe that was the case 20 years ago, with Windows Server 2000 / Windows XP, but not today.  That doesn't means they are perfect, but it looks like they are doing a very good job if they are winning contracts as large as the example you gave with JEDI. 

BTW, that contract can be canceled if Amazon keeps fighting for it.  Let's see how it ends.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/320577-pentagon-may-dump-10-billion-jedi-program-over-microsoft-amazon-fight
    https://www.crn.com/news/cloud/microsoft-could-lose-jedi-contract-if-aws-case-isn-t-dismissed-report
  • Reply 30 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    qwerty52 said:
    cg27 said:

it is a crime.

LOL...
    .... Where the hell did I ever say or imply that?

Are you on drugs?   Or maybe you should be?
    You said this:
    GeorgeBMac said:

we, without evidence, blame the Chinese military.

in reply to an article that said this:
    On Wednesday, Microsoft disclosed evidence that "Hafnium," a Chinese hacking group, was attacking servers in the United States and around the world using Microsoft Exchange Server.
    and your conspiracy peddling about "Trumpists" spreading anti-China propaganda is well trodden.

QED, according to you, Microsoft are part of the MAGA group and are part of an anti-China conspiracy.
    edited March 2021 elijahgqwerty52gatorguy
  • Reply 31 of 48
    cg27 said:
    mac_dog said:
    cg27 said:

GeorgeBMaclarryjw
  • Reply 32 of 48
    docbburk said:
    rob53 said:
    The fact that they are using it to steal tech/industrial secrets, scientific research, and steal info in order to win bids on contracts worldwide for Chinese companies is where it gets criminal.  Sadly the current administration says “China isn’t an enemy.  China isn’t a competitor. .......”. I hope they get their head out of their backside on this topic. 

I think they already did that.  It's why they will be running foreign policy based on reality rather than hate
    edited March 2021 radarthekat
  • Reply 33 of 48
    danvm said:
    What bothers me most about this is that Microsoft was recently chosen to build and maintain the central hub of our national defense -- the $10 Billion JEDI contract.

Why would anybody pick an organization infamous for its porous security for such a critical mission?

I haven't seen many cases of MS applications and services (Windows Server, SQL, Exchange, MS 365, Azure, etc) being compromised, at least in recent years.  Maybe that was the case 20 years ago, with Windows Server 2000 / Windows XP, but not today.  That doesn't means they are perfect, but it looks like they are doing a very good job if they are winning contracts as large as the example you gave with JEDI. 

BTW, that contract can be canceled if Amazon keeps fighting for it.  Let's see how it ends.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/320577-pentagon-may-dump-10-billion-jedi-program-over-microsoft-amazon-fight
    https://www.crn.com/news/cloud/microsoft-could-lose-jedi-contract-if-aws-case-isn-t-dismissed-report

Then you may as well go ahead and delete your anti-virus software if MS products are so safe and secure.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 34 of 48
    danvm said:

Then you may as well go ahead and delete your anti-virus software if MS products are so safe and secure.
    I don't have 3rd party AV installed in my Windows PC, neither in my Mac.  Windows Defender works very nice in Windows 10, and the same can be said of xProtect in macOS.  Interesting how both, MS and Apple integrate an AV to protect their users.  I suppose that in your POV, neither are secure or safe, right?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 48
    danvm said:
    danvm said:

I don't have 3rd party AV installed in my Windows PC, neither in my Mac.  Windows Defender works very nice in Windows 10, and the same can be said of xProtect in macOS.  Interesting how both, MS and Apple integrate an AV to protect their users.  I suppose that in your POV, neither are secure or safe, right?

Privacy and security are hallmarks of Apple products.   Not Microsoft's.   You didn't know that?

Trying to equate the two is simply a false equivalency, right?
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 36 of 48
    danvm said:
    danvm said:

Privacy and security are hallmarks of Apple products.   Not Microsoft's.   You didn't know that?
    Most of MS bad reputation for not being secure is for their issues with Windows 2000 / XP. In most recent years they have been proved very secure, specially in the server and cloud services. Maybe this was one of the reasons they were considered for the JEDI program. Also most business / enterprises worldwide run in the MS ecosystem for years. If they were as bad as you think, most of those business / enterprises would have move to another solutions, specially today, with so many options available.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 37 of 48
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:

Most of MS bad reputation for not being secure is for their issues with Windows 2000 / XP. In most recent years they have been proved very secure, specially in the server and cloud services. Maybe this was one of the reasons they were considered for the JEDI program. Also most business / enterprises worldwide run in the MS ecosystem for years. If they were as bad as you think, most of those business / enterprises would have move to another solutions, specially today, with so many options available.
    Not necessarily. Most businesses look at the IT investment they've already made, look at the costs and risks of compromise by external actors and make a financial decision about whether or not to spend more money on a safer system.

I mean, if you bought a car that had a 3 star safety rank and a year later you were told that you really should buy a car with a 5 star safety rank, what would you do?
  • Reply 38 of 48
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:

No, the world just got used to Microsoft products and hacking to be fairly synonymous.
    And, Microsoft was picked for the JEDI project most likely because the owner of the most qualified vendor was not a Trumper.

• Reply 39 of 48
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:

Not necessarily. Most businesses look at the IT investment they've already made, look at the costs and risks of compromise by external actors and make a financial decision about whether or not to spend more money on a safer system.

I mean, if you bought a car that had a 3 star safety rank and a year later you were told that you really should buy a car with a 5 star safety rank, what would you do?
    I agree with your comment.  But if the security of the Microsoft ecosystem is as bad as @GeorgeBMac describe, it will impact daily operations and financials of business and enterprises, and that would make them look for other options.  And as today, that is not happening.  When was the last time you heard about a big security breach in Windows Server, SQL or Azure?  And it has been years from the last time MS had a security issue with Exchange, even though it is one, if not the most popular email application in business / enterprises.  My point is that MS is not "an organization infamous for its porous security for such a critical mission" as @GeorgeBMac posted.  They have proved to be very secure with their business / enterprise applications and services, but that doesn't mean they are perfect, and you'll see from time to time cases as the one with have with Exchange now.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    danvm said:
    danvm said:
    danvm said:

No, the world just got used to Microsoft products and hacking to be fairly synonymous.
    And, Microsoft was picked for the JEDI project most likely because the owner of the most qualified vendor was not a Trumper.

Yes. and you can blame that to Windows XP.  Now MS have prove to be very secure.  But that doesn't mean they are perfect.  

And I have no details on why Azure was choose for the JEDI project.  But I suppose that from a technical and security POV, it met or exceeded the requirements.  
    muthuk_vanalingam