iMac Pro is 'currently unavailable' from Apple in the US, Canada [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2021
The iMac Pro is currently listed as unavailable on the Apple Online Store in the U.S. and Canada, suggesting that supplies of the machine are running dry.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

This comes just a couple of days after Apple announced that it had discontinued the iMac Pro. Apple said that the model would only be available in a single configuration "while supplies last."

In the U.S. and Canada, the iMac Pro is listed as "currently unavailable." In other regions, such as Europe and Asia-Pacific, it's still available with shipping estimates between two to three weeks.

It's possible that remaining iMac Pro models will come back in stock, though because the device has been discontinued, users who are interested in buying one should do so sooner than later.

The iMac Pro debuted in 2017 and has not received any refreshes since then. In its place are machines like the 27-inch iMac and the 2019 Mac Pro.

Apple is rumored to be working on a redesigned iMac with slimmer bezels and an overall form factor akin to the Pro Display XDR. It isn't clear if Apple is going to refresh the iMac Pro specifically alongside other models.

Update: Authorized resellers including Amazon have also run out of stock.

Update 6:44 p.m. EST: Apple is showing limited stock in the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Well that was quick.
    rain22watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 28
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Great. Now let’s get back to making the iMac all it can be. 

Would love to see:

1) hefty cpuGPU core counts with architecture improvements. 

2) massive amounts of RAM. 

3) ultrawide screen of 34 inches or greater. It’s time. Everyone loves ultrawide. 

If Apple really wants to make an enduring splash with the new Mac of Macs, it’s time to show the world how ultrawide is done. 

And while you’re at it... make it touch capable. I’d rather not have to use a Microsoft surface to control concert lighting...

4) colors: silver, space, gray, blue, gold, green, and brilliant white. 

5) a minimal and industrial design aesthetic. 

edited March 2021 h2pwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 28
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Wow!  They sold both of them that quickly?
    mobirdzeus423bikerduderain22
  • Reply 4 of 28
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I’m showing a delivery date of 3/31 to 4/7.  That seems odd.  

patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

Would love to see:

3) ultrawide screen of 34 inches or greater. It’s time. Everyone loves ultrawide. 

If Apple really wants to make an enduring splash with the new Mac of Macs, it’s time to show the world how ultrawide is done. 

And while you’re at it... make it touch capable. I’d rather not have to use a Microsoft surface to control concert lighting...

How about just upgradable ram and an upgradable hard drive (or a place to add a 2nd HD/SSD

personally, I’d rather not have a touch screen - a touch screen on an iMac isn’t really convenient and just leaves fingerprints all over the beautiful screen. 
    mike1zeus423d_2baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamcaladanianwilliamlondonpatchythepirateentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

Would love to see:

Of course.

2) massive amounts of RAM. Optional.
    Don’t burden everyone with your requirements. 

Too niche. Not everybody wants or has space for that size monitor.
     Buy a Pro and a separate monitor

No. Again. You’re unique use case does not necessarily make it for all. 
    Probably too many for a specialty item. Save those for the mainstream iMacs. 

It is Apple

StrangeDayswilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 28

Would love to see:

I would just as soon avoid touching the screen on my iMac, especially since the OS isn't really geared to touch. However, if you happen to have a macOS app that is designed to work with touch, consider a Mac mini or MacBook with a separate touchscreen monitor. Elo, 3M, Viewsonic and many others have pro-cap screens. Also, PQ Labs has an IR frame that can overlay an iMac (or any other display) for touch. Most touch screens use drivers made by Touch Base, which support multi-touch on macOS (not sure about M1 though).
    edited March 2021 StrangeDaysbaconstangwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28

MplsP said:

Would love to see:

How about just upgradable ram and an upgradable hard drive (or a place to add a 2nd HD/SSD

personally, I’d rather not have a touch screen - a touch screen on an iMac isn’t really convenient and just leaves fingerprints all over the beautiful screen. 
    The 27" iMac has upgradable RAM, and I hope the new iMacs keep this feature.

HD/SSD upgrade without having to remove the screen would be nice too...

If, for whatever reason, the SSD ends up being soldered in, I like your idea of having a place to add a 2nd SSD. Perhaps a removable panel to provide access to an area that would allow attaching a Thunderbolt drive inside. Or, given that SDUC-I Express cards can have SSD speed and capacity, maybe two SD slots--one external and one internal (you wouldn't want to inadvertently eject an SD card being used as an SSD). Frankly, I doubt either of these would happen, but we can dream, can't we?
    muthuk_vanalingamforgot usernamecaladanianentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    I'm guessing that Apple is done with this particular model but yes, the iMac really should have upgradeable RAM and at least an upgradeable auxiliary SSD, an m.2 NVMe.

I can understand Apple's desire to solder the chips for the boot drive: to increase system security.

These systems have custom motherboards and aren't subject to the conventions/restrictions placed on industry standard designs such as ATX, micro-ATX, mini-ITX, whatever. Apple has lots of flexibility to put the RAM slots and second m.2 slot in a location more accessible to the owner.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    How about the following lineup:

Mac mini
    iMac 24 
    iMac 27 or 30
    xMac / better name req’d
    Mac Pro

27 or 30” 5k display (matches form / size of new iMac 27 or 30)  in Space Gray to work with and stylishly blend with all of the above (less so iMac 24 / especially if they’re avail in colors)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member

MplsP said:

Would love to see:

If, for whatever reason, the SSD ends up being soldered in, I like your idea of having a place to add a 2nd SSD. Perhaps a removable panel to provide access to an area that would allow attaching a Thunderbolt drive inside. Or, given that SDUC-I Express cards can have SSD speed and capacity, maybe two SD slots--one external and one internal (you wouldn't want to inadvertently eject an SD card being used as an SSD). Frankly, I doubt either of these would happen, but we can dream, can't we?
    Why do this when you can just have and external SSD that you can boot from?  The is an iMac not a portable.
    forgot usernamewilliamlondonRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    Died before it got its first upgrade. 
    If I were one of the 17 people who bought one I'd be worried about support. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I truly think the next iMac will signal an end to internal expansion.  The M1 has the RAM built into the chip.  That was the only think left that was upgradeable on the current iMac.  I don't see Apple moving away from that with future ASi chips.  Current iMac also has the SSD soldered in as well, and even the 4TB-8TB models (I have the 8TB model) the SSD is non-standard, and it shared with a soldered SSD on the motherboard.  

The ASi iMac will essentially be a gigantic iPad with extra ports and zero ability to upgrade anything internally.  

I'll say one thing about that... based on the horrible experience I had with my 2020 iMac during its first three months due to faulty RAM (by OWC), I can understand why Apple is going the way of UMA.  Not only will performance be so much better, but gone will be the days of system instabilities due to crappy RAM that was not Apple's fault, yet has to deal with countless service calls and repairs.  I'm sure Apple got fed up with that.

I wonder how Apple will handle the RAM situation.  It will certainly hurt it Apple charges the crazy-high RAM prices for their ASi systems as they were doing with the Intel versions.  I'm good for at least five years beforeI upgrade my iMac, so it will be interesting to see what Apple does.
    TRAGwilliamlondonpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 28
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member

Would love to see:

I love the way you are thinking... although I keep hearing about a 24” iMac and NOTHING  larger. Hurumpf. Does the Apple MX1(?) or is that M1X? GPU top out at 24” I mean we had a number of 2008 iMac at 24”... I love the 27+... 34 would be sweeeet.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 53member
    sflocal said:
    I truly think the next iMac will signal an end to internal expansion.  The M1 has the RAM built into the chip.  That was the only think left that was upgradeable on the current iMac.  I don't see Apple moving away from that with future ASi chips.  Current iMac also has the SSD soldered in as well, and even the 4TB-8TB models (I have the 8TB model) the SSD is non-standard, and it shared with a soldered SSD on the motherboard.  

The ASi iMac will essentially be a gigantic iPad with extra ports and zero ability to upgrade anything internally.  

I'll say one thing about that... based on the horrible experience I had with my 2020 iMac during its first three months due to faulty RAM (by OWC), I can understand why Apple is going the way of UMA.  Not only will performance be so much better, but gone will be the days of system instabilities due to crappy RAM that was not Apple's fault, yet has to deal with countless service calls and repairs.  I'm sure Apple got fed up with that.

I wonder how Apple will handle the RAM situation.  It will certainly hurt it Apple charges the crazy-high RAM prices for their ASi systems as they were doing with the Intel versions.  I'm good for at least five years beforeI upgrade my iMac, so it will be interesting to see what Apple does.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head with everything here.
    williamlondonpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sflocal said:

I’m thinking that Apple’s different configurations will make it difficult to price out the RAM cost as a separate item. 
  • Reply 17 of 28
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    sflocal said:

Internal expansion or even things being user-upgradable have been dead  or dying for years, outside of the current Mac Pro.   I've seen the progression with laptops.  I've owned the since the Pismo Powerbook G3.  We went from user upgradable ram/HDD and modular batteries, to upgradable/repairable internal batteries/drives only, to nothing being user serviceable.  Even my 2015 MBP (which I'm on now) is like that. The good news is most people are unlikely to need to do any of that anymore, outside of pro customers.  
  • Reply 18 of 28
    maximara said:

MplsP said:

Would love to see:

Why do this when you can just have and external SSD that you can boot from?  The is an iMac not a portable.
    Yes, I know external is always an option...OWC and others have some pretty neat Thunderbolt solutions for this. I've seen one TB3 case that takes an NVMe drive and that lets you stick it to the back of a monitor or laptop. However, if it is designed to be a long term solution, and especially if it is the boot drive, I would prefer an internal mounting location just to keep it out of harms way.
    entropysmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 28
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    d_2 said:
    How about the following lineup:

Mac mini
    iMac 24 
    iMac 27 or 30
    xMac / better name req’d
    Mac Pro

27 or 30” 5k display (matches form / size of new iMac 27 or 30)  in Space Gray to work with and stylishly blend with all of the above (less so iMac 24 / especially if they’re avail in colors)
    Too many SKUs especially with config & colours - time for Apple to rethink.
    With control over the whole HW & OS stacks they should integrate them before politicians, peddling choice as liberty, decide otherwise.
    With drastically reduced thermals they could create a series of enclosures/hubs (24/32” displays, 14/16”notebooks, nano/mini/max desktops) in multiple colours with Apple Silicon modules (actively cooled thin & passively cooled ultra thin) for Mac/TV/graphics/neural/networking & storage functions.
    The enclosures could be purchased outright with the Silicon-as-a-service providing an upgradable computing path.

• Reply 20 of 28

sflocal said:

Yep, the trend is definitely away from internal expansion. I get it. There are actually some good reasons for this. Manufacturing processes are simplified and reliability increases (so less warranty claims).

I wonder if "regular" people outside of these tech forums notice the higher cost of RAM (and SSD) beyond base level in Macs. If it is relatively common knowledge, it may be a marketing liability -- I mean sales are obviously quite good the way things are, but seems like more people would splurge on the next level up on RAM or SSD if pricing were more aligned with standalone retail pricing of those components. I personally would care a lot less about expansion/upgrade if initial higher RAM/SSD configurations were more affordable. I still think there is a case to be made for "upgradability" if it makes repairs less expensive too. Also, environmental impact is less if people are able to hang on to their devices longer or if repair does not need to require entire main systems board replacement.
    entropyselijahg