Adobe is retiring Type 1 font support, here's how to prepare for the change

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    I’m glad this [probably] has absolutely no impact on me. I’ve been through a number of obsoleting and ending of software (and consequently hardware that needs the software), and it sucks to have something that works fine be relegated to a scrap heap... but this isn’t going to be one of those cases for me. I’m not even sure I ever intentionally used anything other than a TrueType font when I was doing design work.

I don’t think I ever had to intentionally and consciously deal with Postscript, aside from one or two minor occasions of weird printer and document issues that I’m glad I no longer need to care about. I wonder how many design departments and studios are still using this stuff. If it works, why not? This is why. But it lasted a good long time, compared to many/most computer industry standards and formats...
  • Reply 22 of 25
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    rcfa said:
    Any conversion utilities?

Yes. TransType 4 works well.
  • Reply 23 of 25

I work for FontLab and we have just published a 10-minute video that explains how you can use our TransType 4 app to convert PostScript Type 1 fonts into modern OpenType fonts. See https://www.fontlab.com/font-converter/transtype/

edited March 2021 spheric
  • Reply 24 of 25
    bradmacprobradmacpro Posts: 121member
    How exactly is this happening? Can an old Mac running Adobe InDesign CS6 and old QuarkXPress still work with Adobe Type 1 fonts and what about other companies Type 1 format fonts. What about type 3 fonts? There are decades of legacy work to worry about.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    I created a smart folder, found all Type 1 fonts (Suitcase & outline font), made a copy to archive & deleted of all them from my computers. I did the same on the server (afp). It took almost 7hrs to get all the results. I found a lot of duplicates containing the same font name, however, each one either had a different version and/or location. I can select & delete all of them but I have to archive them first. Is there some way for me to archive the fonts without having to check each folder?