Saddam dead?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
major news sites/stations reporting "strong evidence" that recent attack killed him and his three sons.

[URL=http://www.msnbc.com/news/870749.asp?0cv=CA01]

Comments

• Reply 2 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by xterra48

major news sites/stations reporting "strong evidence" that recent attack killed him and his three sons.

[URL=http://www.msnbc.com/news/870749.asp?0cv=CA01]

I thought he only had two sons and heard that maybe one was with him
  • Reply 3 of 57
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    He damned well better be. I don't like us bombing a residential area.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Amazing.

He was given the chance to live comfortably in exile- to spend the rest of his days sipping pina colodas on a beach in the Mediterranean-

but now faces certain

r u i n.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Amazing.

He was given the chance to live comfortably in exile- to spend the rest of his days sipping pina colodas on a beach in the Mediterranean-

but now faces certain

r u i n.

Yes, it's can sound amazing, but it's not when you consider that these kind of people are so addictive to the supreme drug : the power.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Power is one part of it. But hte other part is that he is just in way too deep. Maybe he could have gotten away if he was just some guy who killed a few thousand of his people or if he had bilked some people of a few billion dollars. But you don't lead a country whose actions have resulted in over 2 million deaths and then go sip martinis on your yacht. Some night somewhere someone is going to put a bullet in your noggin. Besides that, even if he had gotten out he would obviously be a target for a war crimes tribunal and unlike the divisive politics of military action, the politics of a war crimes tribunal would be unanimous in their support of such a move. Either way he was or is ****ed.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Coleander is right, this guy isn't just after the cash, like many other dictators, he is far too deep into (sick) ideology.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Lets hope he's "Finally" dead!! May peace finally arrive!!
  • Reply 9 of 57
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It's pretty certain that *if* he was in there when the FOUR bunker busters blew the hell out of the area...yeah, he's dead.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Best thing would be if he were captured alive. Then we could see how internatinal law could be applied in this case. I wonder why the Coalition would rather want him dead?
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Perhaps the international coalition of AI have found its first assignment. Lets go down and capture Saddam before the coalition of the few do it. It would be fun to deliver him to the internation war tribunal

It was Harald, New, Hassan, me, any more?
  • Reply 12 of 57
    I'm in.

The few, the proud, the coalition.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

You guys couldn't find it with two hands and a flashlight. Suddenly, the AI Brain Trust has morphed into an elite, bad-ass tracking squad? Oooo.

You'll fly the U.N. flag too, no doubt.

Those of you "curious" what the "international community" would do, I think you got a pretty good preview of it leading up to this war. I wouldn't trust the "international community" (represented by limp diplomats and mush-mouthed procedural wonks) to do much of anything, other than gum up the works, hinder justice and otherwise make a complete mess of things.

Our men and women are doing the job just fine, last I checked.

"Coalition of the few"? Yeah...
  • Reply 14 of 57
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Those of you "curious" what the "international community" would do, I think you got a pretty good preview of it leading up to this war.

Yeah, take the example of Slobo and his buddies.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Best thing would be if he were captured alive. Then we could see how internatinal law could be applied in this case. I wonder why the Coalition would rather want him dead?

simple: it's easier to kill him than to capture him.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

simple: it's easier to kill him than to capture him.

Sure, but best?
  • Reply 17 of 57
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Sure, but best?

Not if you worked in that restaurant. Or lived next door. Or were walking down the street....
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:

You guys couldn't find it with two hands and a flashlight. Suddenly, the AI Brain Trust has morphed into an elite, bad-ass tracking squad? Oooo.

Underneath our scandinavian humanitarian softness we kick ass. Deep inside we are still vikings.

Quote:

"Coalition of the few"? Yeah...

If you are referring to the coalition down in Iraq please tell me who is involved down there? I know of only three countries, US GB and Denmark (aka the elephant, the mouse and the flee).

Oh yeah and countries like the philiphines that contributes by giving "the coalition" access to their airspace. Always good to know that if any of our planes can´t find its way it won´t get shot down if it ends up on the other side of the planet
  • Reply 19 of 57
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    He probably wouldn't want to be taken alive anyway. \
  • Reply 20 of 57
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Let's not see how internatinal law could be applied. How much you want to bet that Saddam's lawyer will get him off on a technicality. Or maybe anti-semetic public pressure in France and Germany (et al) will force them to pressure the court to go easy on Saddam. Naw. Rather I think a military court could should try him.