Apple Watch summons immediate help for man who fell through ice

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A New Hampshire man was ice skating on a frozen river when he fell through the ice, but he was able to get help very close to instantly using his Apple Watch.

Man calls for help using Apple Watch after falling through ice in a river
Man calls for help using Apple Watch after falling through ice in a river

Firefighters responded to a 911 call minutes after William Rogers fell through the ice on Salmon Falls River in New Hampshire. He was skating on the ice and didn't realize the ice was thin enough to fall through.

"I remember telling myself, 'OK, don't panic. Don't panic,'" Rogers said. "Figure out what your options are here."

As the seconds passed and hypothermia was on the verge of setting in, he remembered he was wearing his Apple Watch, and he used it to call 911.

"So, I told them that I probably had 10 minutes before I was not gonna be able to respond anymore," he said.

The fire department that provided the rescue was able to arrive within five minutes of the call through the Apple Watch.

The Apple Watch has been credited for helping people in multiple situations like dialing 911 after a car crash or detecting heart issues in one Ohio resident. The Apple Watch Series 6 even has a blood oxygen detector to alert users of low oxygen levels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    THAT is the beauty of the Apple Watch with LTE!

While many say "I'd never need that", the truth is that shit happens.  And, it happens when and how you'd least expect it.

The Boy Scouts had it right:   Better to be prepared than in trouble you can't get out of.
    lkrupppulseimagesgregoriusmStrangeDayscaladanianchris-netwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Twelve months ago my Apple Watch 6 notified me of a heart problem, so when I called my doctor she said to go to the emergency room immediately. I did that, and while I can't say definitively that I would be dead without my Apple Watch 6, I can say that I got the treatment I needed and that may have been a factor as to why I'm alive today.
    pulseimagesRayz2016gregoriusmfred1ronncg27StrangeDaysGeorgeBMacmobirdcaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 29
    So can the Apple Watch dial 911 on it’s own if it’s sensed that you have fallen or must the user request 911? 
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So can the Apple Watch dial 911 on it’s own if it’s sensed that you have fallen or must the user request 911? 
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208944

It dials automatically if you haven’t moved for a minute. 
    edited March 2021 gregoriusmronnmuthuk_vanalingamcaladanianchris-netwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Totally amazing if it actually succeeds with dialing automatically  …cos my AW6 is dumb as a box-o-rox. My most typical usecases with it:

1. I'm out jogging and it tells me to take some time to do a breathing exercise.
    2. I talk on the phone (iPhone) and it tells me to take some time to do a breathing exercise.
    3. I'm outside in 13 m/s wind and it tells me to take some time to do a breathing exercise.
    4. I've just sat down after standing up for half an hour, and it tells me to stand up for a minute.
    5. I'm walking from the mail office with a box, and it asks me 100 times if I'm no longer on my outdoor walk. If I put the box down and swing my hand around like an idiot every 30 seconds, then it shuts up tho.
    6. I'm cooking in the kitchen, and it tells me to wash my hands longer.
    7. I'm listening to music in my headphones (at about 50% volume) when the watch sends me a notification at 200% volume(!!!). I've never even set the volume at 100%, not even once.
    8. I'm reminded of an all-day calendar booking although I've never even had alerts set for it in the first place.
    9. The Activity app says I have exercised 210% (since I've been out jogging) but I've only moved 34%. Jogging without moving? Hmmm…  Also, I had only been standing 58%. So, I guess the watch assumed I was Outdoor Running while sitting/lying down and not moving  …makes sense  …not.
    10. And here's my absolute fav: Software is not updated (ever) on the watch, although I've carefully checked the Automatic Updates. Why? Well, I always charge my watch between about 10 and 11 each evening, and then unplug it. A user behavior which apparently is totally outside Apple's imagination, or alternatively forbidden by them. Because an Apple Watch only updates its software if its plugged in to power at the time the WatchOS decides to try updating …which btw happens exactly at 03:00 in the morning.

I could go on and on ranting about the Apple Watch, but I guess you get the picture. This is not a smart watch. It's as dumb as it gets, cos it's entirely unaware of what I'm doing. It wouldn't even require AI to figure out how to deal with the use cases above. Good old linear logic programming would have done it. Do it again, and do it right, Apple. I know you are selling these watches in gazillions, and for pure business reasons maybe you shouldn't change a winning recipe. But I thought you said you were in it for the user experience.
    edited March 2021 viclauyyccrowleymuthuk_vanalingamcornchip
  • Reply 6 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Totally amazing if it actually succeeds with dialing automatically  …cos my AW6 is dumb as a box-o-rox. My most typical usecases with it:

1. I'm out jogging and it tells me to take some time to do a breathing exercise.
    2. I talk on the phone (iPhone) and it tells me to take some time to do a breathing exercise.
    3. I'm outside in 13 m/s wind and it tells me to take some time to do a breathing exercise.
    4. I've just sat down after standing up for half an hour, and it tells me to stand up for a minute.
    5. I'm walking from the mail office with a box, and it asks me 100 times if I'm no longer on my outdoor walk. If I put the box down and swing my hand around like an idiot every 30 seconds, then it shuts up tho.
    7. I'm listening to music in my headphones (at about 50% volume) when the watch sends me a notification at 200% volume(!!!). I've never even set the volume at 100%, not even once.
    8. I'm reminded of an all-day calendar booking although I've never even had alerts set for it in the first place.
    9. The Activity app says I have exercised 210% (since I've been out jogging) but I've only moved 34%. Jogging without moving? Hmmm…  Also, I had only been standing 58%. So, I guess the watch assumed I was Outdoor Running while sitting/lying down and not moving  …makes sense  …not.
    10. And here's my absolute fav: Software is not updated (ever) on the watch, although I've carefully checked the Automatic Updates. Why? Well, I always charge my watch between about 10 and 11 each evening, and then unplug it. A user behavior which apparently is totally outside Apple's imagination, or alternatively forbidden by them. Because an Apple Watch only updates its software if its plugged in to power at the time the WatchOS decides to try updating …which btw happens exactly at 03:00 in the morning.

I could go on and on ranting about the Apple Watch, but I guess you get the picture. This is not a smart watch. It's as dumb as it gets, cos it's entirely unaware of what I'm doing. It wouldn't even require AI to figure out how to deal with the use cases above. Good old linear logic programming would have done it. Do it again, and do it right, Apple. I know you are selling these watches in gazillions, and for pure business reasons maybe you shouldn't change a winning recipe. But I thought you said you were in it for the user experience.

You do know that most of these are configurable in the Watch app on your iPhone? You can disable Breathe notifications, disable Stand notifications, reduce Notification volume level, disable hand washing feature, etc. As far as the updates are concerned, the watch has to be on the charger to update, and yes, you will get a notification badge on your iPhone telling you that the update is ready to install, which you can initiate using the Watch app on your iPhone. You will not be penalized for leaving the watch on the charger beyond your self imposed 1-hour charging window and letting the update complete. It almost sounds like you've never opened the Watch app on your iPhone, or don't have an iPhone, which I suppose could be the case. Maybe the Apple Watch is not a good fit for you?
    DogpersongregoriusmbonobobStrangeDaysRayz2016caladanianchris-netjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    DogpersonDogperson Posts: 145member
    I am guessing this only works on the cellular models?
    We have made calls but I think they are on our wifi. 
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    It's as dumb as it gets, cos it's entirely unaware of what I'm doing.
    No, sounds as if you're the one totally unaware of what you're doing.

RTFM!
    gregoriusmJapheycoolfactorStrangeDayszeus423Rayz2016cyberzombiechris-netjony0macgui
  • Reply 9 of 29
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

There is an old, wise saying... 

StrangeDayszeus423Rayz2016cyberzombiejony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member

What are you talking about man? I have been using Apple Watch very intensive for three months now, and I can tell you, 
    that your story simply doesn’t make sense.
    Are you sure you have an Apple Watch?
    StrangeDaysGeorgeBMacchris-netjony0cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Dogperson said:
    I am guessing this only works on the cellular models?
    We have made calls but I think they are on our wifi. 
    Yes, cellular models. But you not need to activate or pay for cell service. I got the cell but refuse to pay $10 a month for it. It will still make 911 calls. 
    jony0Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    dewme said:

You do know that most of these are configurable in the Watch app on your iPhone? You can disable Breathe notifications, disable Stand notifications, reduce Notification volume level, disable hand washing feature, etc. As far as the updates are concerned, the watch has to be on the charger to update, and yes, you will get a notification badge on your iPhone telling you that the update is ready to install, which you can initiate using the Watch app on your iPhone. You will not be penalized for leaving the watch on the charger beyond your self imposed 1-hour charging window and letting the update complete. It almost sounds like you've never opened the Watch app on your iPhone, or don't have an iPhone, which I suppose could be the case. Maybe the Apple Watch is not a good fit for you?
    No, no, no, and no. Those things are not configurable. Actually, not a single thing of what you are saying is valid.

I’m no beginner here. I’ve used Apple devices for more 30 years. And I have even worked as an engineer for Apple. I know what I’m talking about, and it’s called usability. You know, the difference between just technology and actually useful products. But I guess it’s a waste trying to explain that to a person whose suggestions are to shut down features because they are maldesigned, and who believes a consumer who demands usability should choose other products than Apple’s.

If you are the least interested in the truth about this product then I suggest you seriously revisit each and every use-case I listed. Put each of them to real-world testing. Then let’s discuss how this should/could have been done to make the Apple Watch a truly smart product, worthy a company like Apple.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 29
    neilm said:
    It's as dumb as it gets, cos it's entirely unaware of what I'm doing.
    No, sounds as if you're the one totally unaware of what you're doing.

RTFM!
    Listen, first stop the insulting here. I know exactly how to handle the Apple Watch, and I know exactly what I’m saying. If you want an IQ battle in this matter I suggest you think twice. You won’t stand a chance …not even if you are the head of the AW division. Oh, wait. You can’t be …cos we are actually in talks with each other, and there’s agreement. Surprise?

So, if you want to contribute to Apple’s great products you need to pull your head outta that dark place. Feedback is important whether it’s positive or negative. I am pulling my straw to the stack because I am actually contributing to redesigning the entire project with a beautiful solution to every single one of the shortcomings listed above. What are you doing to make the AW a smart device? Sharing your intelligence obviously wont improve it.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    qwerty52 said:

What are you talking about man? I have been using Apple Watch very intensive for three months now, and I can tell you, 
    Pick one of the 10 usecases and tell me it’s impossible. I will easily prove you wrong. All of them are collected from real life, and no, they are not possible to “configure away” without shutting off crucial features all together. And even if they were configurable, why should I have to do that? It’s not a Microsoft product is it? One where the maker just hands you a generic setting that suits noone, plus 100 control knobs so that you can try make it useful yourself. Its Apple we are talking about here. The masters of usability fgs.

Not a single one of the described situations above should ever occur …at least not after a few months of learning and adoption to the individual user’s habits. And if you for a second believe this is beyond solvable, you couldn’t be more wrong. We have already an operable pilot solving this exellently. And if you study the scientific press carefully, you will notice that a few competitors now has it too.

A battle of IQ levels? Oh yes, you can bet on it. But it goes faar beyond just watches. And you know what? Apple isn’t even in the forefront of this battle. This is what I’m really talking about. We need to demand more from a usability point in order to shake some @@@ at Apple, and for them to get into the AI game …or they will be left behind with there nice, but dumb, hardware.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    dewme said:

No, no, no, and no. Those things are not configurable. Actually, not a single thing of what you are saying is valid.

I’m no beginner here. I’ve used Apple devices for more 30 years. And I have even worked as an engineer for Apple. I know what I’m talking about, and it’s called usability. You know, the difference between just technology and actually useful products. But I guess it’s a waste trying to explain that to a person whose suggestions are to shut down features because they are maldesigned, and who believes a consumer who demands usability should choose other products than Apple’s.

If you are the least interested in the truth about this product then I suggest you seriously revisit each and every use-case I listed. Put each of them to real-world testing. Then let’s discuss how this should/could have been done to make the Apple Watch a truly smart product, worthy a company like Apple.

o ............................ k
    GeorgeBMacchris-netwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29

I've never had that problem and I've worn one continuously since the first (Series 0).

But, if the notifications bother you then turn them off and quit whining.

chris-netjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29

It will -- but only after asking if you want it to.

When I tripped on a hidden rock while out running in the woods I woke up face down in the dirt with my Apple Watch tapping me on the wrist asking if I had fallen.   I told it yes but I was OK.  So it didn't make the call.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    qwerty52 said:

Pick one of the 10 usecases and tell me it’s impossible. I will easily prove you wrong. All of them are collected from real life, and no, they are not possible to “configure away” without shutting off crucial features all together. And even if they were configurable, why should I have to do that? It’s not a Microsoft product is it? One where the maker just hands you a generic setting that suits noone, plus 100 control knobs so that you can try make it useful yourself. Its Apple we are talking about here. The masters of usability fgs.

Not a single one of the described situations above should ever occur …at least not after a few months of learning and adoption to the individual user’s habits. And if you for a second believe this is beyond solvable, you couldn’t be more wrong. We have already an operable pilot solving this exellently. And if you study the scientific press carefully, you will notice that a few competitors now has it too.

A battle of IQ levels? Oh yes, you can bet on it. But it goes faar beyond just watches. And you know what? Apple isn’t even in the forefront of this battle. This is what I’m really talking about. We need to demand more from a usability point in order to shake some @@@ at Apple, and for them to get into the AI game …or they will be left behind with there nice, but dumb, hardware.

Sorry if I have offended you, It doesn’t go here over  an IQ battle. But there is something wrong with your use-cases
    For example number 8:  STAND %  have nothing to do with MOVE %. You can go jogging in the morning for 
    three hours, but if your STAND Goal setting is set for 12 hours a day, then it is normal that your STAND % are only 25%.
    Also MOVE is not the same as EXERCISE 
    And yes, I can update my Apple Watch anytime I want if it is connected to the charger. (Ex.: at 23:00 o’clock this evening I have updated 
    to watchOS 7.3.2)
    So check the settings of your watch and try to understand how it works 
    edited March 2021 chris-netjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    I've just sat down after standing up for half an hour, and it tells me to stand up for a minute.
    This is either a lie or your Watch is malfunctioned. The Apple Watch doesn't tell you to stand at the beginning of the hours. It'll do at the end so if you *just* standing for half an hour there is no way it will tell you to stand, unless.. unless you stood very still and haven't moved your hand then the watch won't count your standing because the Stand is "stands and moves about for a minute" not standing still.
    edited March 2021 jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    qwerty52 said:

I scrubbed my first reply when I realised English wasn’t your first language. Now I’m wondering if the problem you’re having is because Apple is missing a few tricks that would help non-English speakers. 

edited March 2021 qwerty52chris-netjony0watto_cobra