'AirPods 3' shown in new renders based on supply chain leaks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2021
The "AirPods 3" are expected to debut during a March 23 Apple event, and new renders allegedly show off their pro-like design.

New renders based on AirPods 3 leaks. From Gizmochina
New renders based on 'AirPods 3' leaks. From Gizmochina

The "AirPods 3" may be a hybrid design between the AirPods Pro and standard AirPods. They are said to have shorter stems and possibly feature changeable tips instead of the one-size-fits-all design.

According to Gizmochina, these renders are based upon leaks provided by suppliers. They describe the new model as having a shorter stem and replaceable ear tips, however, the renders seem to show a one-size-fits-all design. It is also possible the ear tips are not in the render and the source has more information than the image presents.

The report indicates that Apple could include Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) with the refreshed earbuds.

If the "AirPods 3" gain a new design, changeable tips, and ANC with this update then the current AirPods Pro will have nothing left to distinguish itself from the rest of the lineup. Since these may be taking on the pro features at a lower price point, they may also be the long-rumored "AirPods Pro Lite."

Leaked images have shown an identical design to these renders. Seemingly these sources come from two different leaks, but the renders could also be based on the previously leaked concepts.

The increased frequency in leaks suggest an impending launch rumored for March 23.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Who identifies her- or himself as ‘Pro Lite’?
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 2 of 4
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    IF this is true- if the AirPods 3 actually do gain ANC, then Apple must have something really special planned for the AirPods Pro 2. Fingers crossed for some health and fitness features, like maybe a body temperature sensor. 
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Japhey said:
    IF this is true- if the AirPods 3 actually do gain ANC, then Apple must have something really special planned for the AirPods Pro 2. Fingers crossed for some health and fitness features, like maybe a body temperature sensor. 
    I think the article itself is speculating on that particular point, and not reporting someone else's speculation.

To this point, I've assumed that ANC was the differentiating feature between the AirPods and AirPods Pro line.  I would be surprised if they brought that particular feature "down" to the lower model.  Pleasantly surprised, but surprised.

But I agree with your main point, that if they do bring ANC to the base model, then they probably have something really special planned for the new pro model, as failing to do so would leave the Pro with no significant differentiating feature.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    I really hope that the AirPods 3 do not have the silicone tips. I was happy with the sound coming from the AirPods Pro but the tips caused an ear infection and one would constantly fall out. I bought third party tips to prevent infection and promised to not fall out. Well, one still does. Tried all different sizes too.