Apple Watch summons immediate help for man who fell through ice

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    THAT is the beauty of the Apple Watch with LTE!

While many say "I'd never need that", the truth is that shit happens.  And, it happens when and how you'd least expect it.

The Boy Scouts had it right:   Better to be prepared than in trouble you can't get out of.
    Shit usually happens to stupid people. I bet somewhere there was a sign saying: " do not skate on the ice" and he was the one person that felt different. Darwin missed here.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Totally amazing if it actually succeeds with dialing automatically  …cos my AW6 is dumb as a box-o-rox. My most typical usecases with it:

1. And here's my absolute fav: Software is not updated (ever) on the watch, although I've carefully checked the Automatic Updates. Why? Well, I always charge my watch between about 10 and 11 each evening, and then unplug it. A user behavior which apparently is totally outside Apple's imagination, or alternatively forbidden by them. Because an Apple Watch only updates its software if its plugged in to power at the time the WatchOS decides to try updating …which btw happens exactly at 03:00 in the morning.

I've experienced many of the ones you've listed here, and they mostly seem (to me) to be reacting to environmental (such as the hand washing) or some biometric (as with the breathing) cues, and I can deal with those easily.  However, with regard to the one I've quoted, if one turns off automatic updates, one can update whenever one wants.  One will be notified when an update is available, but it won't even download it until one tells it to do so.

Not a perfect solution, but one which I've found workable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 29
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    Totally amazing if it actually succeeds with dialing automatically  …cos my AW6 is dumb as a box-o-rox. My most typical usecases with it:

1. And here's my absolute fav: Software is not updated (ever) on the watch, although I've carefully checked the Automatic Updates. Why? Well, I always charge my watch between about 10 and 11 each evening, and then unplug it. A user behavior which apparently is totally outside Apple's imagination, or alternatively forbidden by them. Because an Apple Watch only updates its software if its plugged in to power at the time the WatchOS decides to try updating …which btw happens exactly at 03:00 in the morning.

I've experienced many of the ones you've listed here, and they mostly seem (to me) to be reacting to environmental (such as the hand washing) or some biometric (as with the breathing) cues, and I can deal with those easily.  However, with regard to the one I've quoted, if one turns off automatic updates, one can update whenever one wants.  One will be notified when an update is available, but it won't even download it until one tells it to do so.

Not a perfect solution, but one which I've found workable.
    When I want to update my watch I take an exemption to plug it in all night and lose sleep data for that day. I simply don't try to be too smart and rely too much on the watch but that's just me. Just lose data for one night and in the morning you get an updated watch.
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    the reason I got my watch is because I often ride off road solo and the iWatch 4 is my lifeline if I have an issue. Its currently in for repair as it stopped making any sound. I do hope I get it back soon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    dewme said:

1. I'm out jogging and it tells me to take some time to do a breathing exercise.
    2. I talk on the phone (iPhone) and it tells me to take some time to do a breathing exercise.
    3. I'm outside in 13 m/s wind and it tells me to take some time to do a breathing exercise.
    4. I've just sat down after standing up for half an hour, and it tells me to stand up for a minute.
    5. I'm walking from the mail office with a box, and it asks me 100 times if I'm no longer on my outdoor walk. If I put the box down and swing my hand around like an idiot every 30 seconds, then it shuts up tho.
    6. I'm cooking in the kitchen, and it tells me to wash my hands longer.
    7. I'm listening to music in my headphones (at about 50% volume) when the watch sends me a notification at 200% volume(!!!). I've never even set the volume at 100%, not even once.
    8. I'm reminded of an all-day calendar booking although I've never even had alerts set for it in the first place.
    9. The Activity app says I have exercised 210% (since I've been out jogging) but I've only moved 34%. Jogging without moving? Hmmm…  Also, I had only been standing 58%. So, I guess the watch assumed I was Outdoor Running while sitting/lying down and not moving  …makes sense  …not.
    10. And here's my absolute fav: Software is not updated (ever) on the watch, although I've carefully checked the Automatic Updates. Why? Well, I always charge my watch between about 10 and 11 each evening, and then unplug it. A user behavior which apparently is totally outside Apple's imagination, or alternatively forbidden by them. Because an Apple Watch only updates its software if its plugged in to power at the time the WatchOS decides to try updating …which btw happens exactly at 03:00 in the morning.

I could go on and on ranting about the Apple Watch, but I guess you get the picture. This is not a smart watch. It's as dumb as it gets, cos it's entirely unaware of what I'm doing. It wouldn't even require AI to figure out how to deal with the use cases above. Good old linear logic programming would have done it. Do it again, and do it right, Apple. I know you are selling these watches in gazillions, and for pure business reasons maybe you shouldn't change a winning recipe. But I thought you said you were in it for the user experience.

You do know that most of these are configurable in the Watch app on your iPhone? You can disable Breathe notifications, disable Stand notifications, reduce Notification volume level, disable hand washing feature, etc. As far as the updates are concerned, the watch has to be on the charger to update, and yes, you will get a notification badge on your iPhone telling you that the update is ready to install, which you can initiate using the Watch app on your iPhone. You will not be penalized for leaving the watch on the charger beyond your self imposed 1-hour charging window and letting the update complete. It almost sounds like you've never opened the Watch app on your iPhone, or don't have an iPhone, which I suppose could be the case. Maybe the Apple Watch is not a good fit for you?
    No, no, no, and no. Those things are not configurable. Actually, not a single thing of what you are saying is valid.

I’m no beginner here. I’ve used Apple devices for more 30 years. And I have even worked as an engineer for Apple. I know what I’m talking about, and it’s called usability. You know, the difference between just technology and actually useful products. But I guess it’s a waste trying to explain that to a person whose suggestions are to shut down features because they are maldesigned, and who believes a consumer who demands usability should choose other products than Apple’s.

If you are the least interested in the truth about this product then I suggest you seriously revisit each and every use-case I listed. Put each of them to real-world testing. Then let’s discuss how this should/could have been done to make the Apple Watch a truly smart product, worthy a company like Apple.
    Hi Don Norman!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    dope said:
    I'm not smart enough to own an Apple Watch. Here's why...
    Most of the features are wasted on you. Almost everything you railed against can be configured. Apparently you live in a world where you never compromise or adapt. So sell the Watch and get something you can actually understand. Maybe a FitBit.

watto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 27 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    His problem can be solved by one of the following two pieces of advice:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Dogperson said:
    I am guessing this only works on the cellular models?
    We have made calls but I think they are on our wifi. 
    Yes, cellular models. But you not need to activate or pay for cell service. I got the cell but refuse to pay $10 a month for it. It will still make 911 calls. 
    Have you do that with your Watch? To date, I've seen exactly one mention of someone actually using an AW to call 9-1-1 without a plan. They were testing the theory and it supposedly took 5 minutes for the call to connect to their emergency call center.

When this subject comes up, there are several references to the FCC regulation requiring cellular devices to be capable of dialing 9-1-1 without a plan, but no other actual links to anything that shows categorically that it can and will. It's all "well it should, because the FCC says..."

One day I may get an LTE version, but since I'm almost never without my phone, it will still do the same function. But I'll like to see unequivocal substantiation that it will make the call. You never know when you'll be in a hostage take over stickup and need to call the cavalry instead of shooting your way out.

So can the Apple Watch dial 911 on it’s own if it’s sensed that you have fallen or must the user request 911? 

It will -- but only after asking if you want it to.

As mentioned above, after detecting a fall it will give you 1 minute to cancel the automatic 9-1-1 call countdown. If you don't cancel it or haven't moved during that minute, the call is automatically made. 

This will also happen if you don't have an LTE Watch but have your iPhone nearby (within BT range). Cool thing — fall detection is enabled if you're 65 or older when pairing a compatible AW. It can be disabled if desired. If under 65, you can enable it if you want to.

AI recounted a great incident of a man (65yo I think) riding his bike and falling down an embankment, losing consciousness. When he woke up he was being tended to in hospital.

The Watch had detected his fall and when he didn't respond because of LOC, the Watch dialed 9-1-1 and his son who was his ICE. The bus picked him up with paramedics doing their magic. When he regained consciousness, his son was already by his side. I don't think the injuries were life threatening but IIRC it wasn't obvious that he went down the embankment or where, so who knows how long it would have been before somebody looked for and found him.

Both the fall detection and emergency auto-call functions can be turned off if desired. I have them both turned on.
    watto_cobra