Supposed leaked 'AirPods 3' images suggest a blend of AirPods, AirPods Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2021
New images of an alleged next-generation pair of AirPods have surfaced, and they continue to suggest a design blending elements of both AirPods and AirPods Pro.

Credit: 52Audio

The new images, published by 52Audio, give us the clearest picture yet of Apple's next-generation AirPods -- if they do happen to be genuine. Although the audio accessories in the image feature design considerations reminiscent of Apple's "AirPods Pro, they don't sport interchangeable silicone ear tips. Instead, they retain the universal fit of standard AirPods.

However, the images suggest that the new AirPods could have shorter stems, an AirPods Pro-like charging case, and the same squeezable stems of the higher-end Apple headphones.

In a previous report, 52Audio also suggested that the new AirPods will keep the H1 chip and won't have noise cancellation or transparency mode, both features of AirPods Pro. The AirPods are also expected to have about the same battery life as their predecessor.

Additionally, the report suggests that the new AirPods could have a pressure-relief mechanism akin to AirPods Pro. That would allow the pressure inside the ear to be equalized with the outside world, increasing comfort when a user is wearing them.

As with the previous 52Audio reports and images, there's no way to verify whether the information or pictures are genuine. Previous leaked images, like a set from November 2020, are suspected to be faked.

Previous rumors indicate that the so-called "AirPods 3" or "AirPods Pro Lite" would be focused on minor incremental changes and refinements.

There's no word on release date for a next-generation AirPods model, but rumors suggest that Apple might hold an event on March 23 to announce its long-awaited "AirTags" and other devices.

Stay on top of the latest Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a quick update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    It would suk if they would have the squeeze controls instead of the touch controls. Because when you squeeze them while running, you could move them from your ears.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    AI_lias said:
    It would suk if they would have the squeeze controls instead of the touch controls. Because when you squeeze them while running, you could move them from your ears.
    Hey, Siri, next song...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    urahara said:
    AI_lias said:
    Hey, Siri, next song...
    Hey Siri, squeeze me
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    suggested that the new AirPods will keep the H1 chip

Don’t believe any rumor indicating that Apple is using anything but their latest chips for a new product. I can count the number of times they’ve done that on two or three fingers. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I don’t see the benefit of shorter stems, but whatever. I do love my AirPods Pro. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Strange decision to get only have silicon tips on the Pro model. Bits of silicon cost nothing.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    KBuffett said:
    Strange decision to get only have silicon tips on the Pro model. Bits of silicon cost nothing.
    But arguably not worth it without the noise cancelling ability.

I bought my Pros solely for noise cancelling, because there's just too much noise these days, so I'm not tempted by these ones, although I am curious as to what improvements there are from the previous versions. Squeezing versus Tapping doesn't really seem an improvement, each has pros and cons. The main advantage seems to be a uniform design across both lines, and standardisation of accessories.
    StrangeDays