Apple discontinues full-size HomePod, to focus on HomePod mini

Comments

• Reply 61 of 204
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    oberpongo said:
    This is really disappointing. It’s the only apple product that is not in my household but has been on my wishlist for years to upgrade the Apple TV sound Output and replace the good old stereo-amp-receiver-dvd—loudspeaker Setup wir all those cables and old fashioned remotes. 
    I am afraid the Apple TV will be discontinued next and the Apple TV+ Service relegated to the built in Smart TV apps. 
    I might still rush out and buy one. 
    I think Apple TV will survive. TVs are high priced items, but after a few years when the TV built-in computer is outdated, well rely on Apple TV for smart TV features. 
    jas99
  • Reply 62 of 204
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    People who mock the HomePod obviously never had a pair.

I was very skeptical at first, but needed something without lots of fuss for cabling to use with a projector and an AppleTV; then saw some test measurements and decided to take the plunge and buy a pair.
    Never looked back or regretted it: no speaker that size I know has the frequency range, and in particular the kind of punchy, undistorted low end.
    In terms of acoustic performance given their size, they are masterpieces.

The HomePod minis are OK for the toilet, bathroom or kitchen, a pair of the full-sized HomePods replace a much more expensive stereo system in a moderately large living or bed room.

I hope they’re going to make an updated version without skimping on the quality of the originals.
    foregoneconclusiongregoriusmspock1234equality72521jas99dbvaporwilliamlondonAlex1Ndoozydozen
  • Reply 63 of 204
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    entropys said:
    Now if Apple put out a Dolby atmos soundbar and subwoofer for about $600-$750 I would be interested
    With ATV integrated, like the Roku soundbar. 
    entropysdbvapordoozydozen
  • Reply 64 of 204
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    If I went this route instead of another, I would be pissed off beyond belief. Smart home products are a gamble, due to manufacturer support. At best, you are leasing the equipment until it is not supported anymore...then back to the store you go. 

Did you think it would remain current forever?
    spock1234
  • Reply 65 of 204
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    A core part of Apple since almost the beginning has been sound and music  (iPod, iTunes, Apple Music, etc...).  In fact, they revolutionized the music industry.  They turned it on its head.

But, while Apple Music is very solid, they seem to be losing their way, wondering in the wilderness.

My grandson had one Homepod, an XBox Series X, and an Apple TV. 
    This past Christmas I looked at component audio systems to bring quality sound to that mix (I rejected a sound bar as too limited).
    A component home theater system was simply too expensive for me (Receiver, subwoofer + 5 speakers).   Plus, its integration with his Apple devices was less clean,
    So, I bought him a 2nd Homepod to make a stereo pair.

It is not as good as a Home Theater system -- but it is surprisingly close.
    Unfortunately, it will only interact with his Apple Devices -- not with the XBoxSeriesX -- so its use is limited.

So, without a high end HomePod, where now does one turn?
    High end Home Theater systems often include Airplay -- but moderately priced soundbars do not.  Without it access to Apple Devices is limited.
    Plus, with the AppleTV also in questionable standing, what does Apple use as a Homekit hub?   iPads are not the best choice for that.

In short, Apple has thrown a hodgepodge of products at both home automation and home theater.
    I think they need to look at this and develop a cohesive, integrated, quality, more systematic approach to the home.
    There seems to be a large void there without a cohesive strategy from Apple.

I would like to see:
    --  Apple WiFi routers
    --  Apple Home automation products
    --  Apple home theater systems
    ...... And, of course, all of that would be tightly integrated into a cohesive, seamless and secure whole.
    edited March 2021 jas99JWSCdbvaporAlex1Ndoozydozen
  • Reply 66 of 204
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    I think there were conceptual flaws that stood out.

A 360ºC design on a product with a cable? And a not long cable at that. Placing the product in a central position position would leave the cable as a tripwire, so inevitably they were placed in non-central positions, perhaps defeating the purpose of a 360ºC design.

My only 'live' experience with one was at an Apple Store (where it was also placed on a table which was set against the wall) and the guy that was selling me a phone couldn't get it to stop playing via Siri. He ended up exasperated.

Obviously the setting wasn't perfect to evaluate audio quality but nothing about the sound stood out in any way.

Price was always a big factor, as was the debate over the 'stereo' aspect and the thought of needing two to get a better experience. 

There was also the issue of flexibility in what you could pump into it, and how. This kind of product, engineered from the ground up as a wireless product, should not be erecting 'walls' as to what can be played and even as a wireless product, should have had an AUX input of some kind. When support gets axed for whatever reason, having an AUX input would keep the device going even without 'the smarts'. 

The fact that they have killed it off instead of leaving it as a niche or 'hobby' product, says a lot. Sales were probably very poor but I can't help but think that the retail price was the biggest reason for that. Launching at $199 might have seen this decision never taken or even considered.

Siri seems to be an utter mess in terms of what it can do on different devices. That must be amazingly perplexing for your average user. And launching without a fully 'functioning' Siri was an error. Saying that Siri wasn't its key feature doesn't 't make a lot of sense either. Those mics are there for good reason. 

Anyway those are my off the cuff comments from a person that ruled the device out for those main reasons when it was available in my area. I haven't checked to make sure what I just wrote was actually 100% correct because the asking price was never going to get in on my purchasing radar.

I think I'm not alone with that line of thinking. 

gatorguyAI_liasanantksundarammuthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 67 of 204
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    "Support will also continue until the product is declared obsolete." (can we imagine the car, including the proprietary 'better' Apple tires to run it?)

Is this becoming an increasingly problematic Apple 'bag of hurt', especially with 'onboard' everything vs 'right to repair'...?

I still have some vintage 40 year old Carver & Klipsh audio, no software updates needed and they can be repaired by any competent shop.

My spidey sense said stay away from HomePod, and 2013 macPro, and iMac Pro, and on it goes, still running Jobs era everything...

Here is an article on the inspiration for the original Mac Plus design, based on the Cuisinart, when things were built to last.
    www.fastcompany.com/90472162/the-untold-origins-of-apples-groundbreaking-design
    Alex1N
  • Reply 68 of 204
    avon b7 said: A 360ºC design on a product with a cable? And a not long cable at that. Placing the product in a central position position would leave the cable as a tripwire, so inevitably they were placed in non-central positions, perhaps defeating the purpose of a 360ºC design
    Non-central positions did not defeat the purpose. The HomePod was designed to take sound reflection into account, so putting them closer to a wall like a standard speaker was never an issue. 
    patchythepirateequality72521spock1234GeorgeBMacjas99JWSCmike1Alex1N
  • Reply 69 of 204
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    For a take on the HomePod and its market failure:
    https://www.ped30.com/category/homepod/
  • Reply 70 of 204
    avon b7 said: A 360ºC design on a product with a cable? And a not long cable at that. Placing the product in a central position position would leave the cable as a tripwire, so inevitably they were placed in non-central positions, perhaps defeating the purpose of a 360ºC design
    Non-central positions did not defeat the purpose. The HomePod was designed to take sound reflection into account, so putting them closer to a wall like a standard speaker was never an issue. 
    But what were the parts facing the wall or shelf doing? Basically nothing? That's a lot of engineering and analysis to reach an end result where the hardware basically is switched off. Or is it firing sound into the wall anyway? 
  • Reply 71 of 204
    gatorguy said:
    For a take on the HomePod and its market failure:
    https://www.ped30.com/category/homepod/
    The problem with treating Amazon as if they succeeded and Apple/Google as if they failed is that Amazon's primary reason for selling smart speakers was the idea that they would increase impulse purchases on Amazon by customers verbally commanding the speaker to buy things. They obviously weren't successful in that regard because online shopping sales are never mentioned in relation to Amazon's speakers.
    spock1234
  • Reply 72 of 204

avon b7 said: But what were the parts facing the wall or shelf doing? Basically nothing? That's a lot of engineering and analysis to reach an end result where the hardware basically is switched off. Or is it firing sound into the wall anyway? 
    That's part of what the A8 chip was for: calculating the best way for the sound to be projected/reflected based on the placement of the HomePod. Reflected sound could be used to it's advantage, so it wasn't "switched off". One of the reasons the stereo pairing capability was delayed was due to how complicated it was for each HomePod to take into account the sound reflections from it's own output + the projected sound/reflected sound from a second unit. 
    randominternetpersonpatchythepirateequality72521spock1234roundaboutnowgregoriusmJWSCAlex1N
  • Reply 73 of 204
    I have some of these and am bummed there isn’t a second generation but not particularly bothered by the product being discontinued either. It really doesn’t have an impact on the foreseeable future. I am curious what that plan is longer term. It seems reasonable to assume that at some point Siri or Apple Music will get an update that breaks compatibility with the HomePod. My guess is that Apple will release an update that just makes it an AirPlay speaker but who knows. 

Also with noting that there is nothing that stops Apple from revisiting the idea of a larger HomePod if they continue development with the Mini. It also makes the HomePod mini name seem a little odd now since it isn’t going to be the mini version of anything. 
  • Reply 74 of 204
    Massive disappointment. These stereo-handedly saw me through lockdown. I bought mine on the basis of the sound quality (The minis are no comparison).  I also think 3 years is an insult to customers, and when there’s a fault you’re inevitably up the creek. Why would anyone invest in the Apple ecosystem when it’s as unreliable as this? (Not trolling literally just astounded)
    edited March 2021 spock1234GeorgeBMacJWSCAlex1N
  • Reply 75 of 204
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    bluefire1 said:
    So Apple is sacrificing quality of sound for a smaller size and a lower price. For me, when it comes to music, quality trumps all else.
    Unfortunately they couldn’t find enough buyers to agree with you. 
    entropysmuthuk_vanalingamdbvapor
  • Reply 76 of 204
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    darkvader said:
    Hi Homepod, this is iPod Hi-Fi!  Welcome to the discontinued overpriced garbage club!

It was a stupid product when it was new, it never improved, the price never dropped to anything even remotely close to reasonable, Apple discontinued it. 

Why would anybody be surprised?  It was a failure from minute 1.
    It’s not garbage by any means. Its built fantastic and sounds great that was my reason for buying. Not Siri or smart functions. We love good sounding music and this fit the bill perfectly. Airplay from my phone while controlling everything  from my watch as I move about the house is solid. Have you ever actually heard or used this speaker ?

Your comment sounds like someone that has read about them here and maybe some other forums and jumped on the chance to say they are a failure without any hands on with the product.  Like you’ve been holding the HI-FI comparison comment in your back pocket waiting for the right time to throw it out there hahaha. 

equality72521spock1234roundaboutnowgregoriusmJWSCdbvaporAlex1N
  • Reply 77 of 204

avon b7 said: But what were the parts facing the wall or shelf doing? Basically nothing? That's a lot of engineering and analysis to reach an end result where the hardware basically is switched off. Or is it firing sound into the wall anyway? 
    That's part of what the A8 chip was for: calculating the best way for the sound to be projected/reflected based on the placement of the HomePod. Reflected sound could be used to it's advantage, so it wasn't "switched off". One of the reasons the stereo pairing capability was delayed was due to how complicated it was for each HomePod to take into account the sound reflections from it's own output + the projected sound/reflected sound from a second unit. 
    I think for a centrally placed HomePod I would be able to make a case for that, even though a correctly calibrated 5,6,7.1 would satisfy the vast majority of users. 

However, the more the device is placed near any wall, shelf or suchlike, the engineering effort put into it moves into 'overkill'.

Perhaps the TouchBar, T2 chip and butterfly keyboards are also potential examples of the same problem. 

Could we all do wonderfully well without them and the added cost/complexity they bring? 

And perhaps the biggest question, related to this decision, is whether the AirPods Pro Max will face a similar existential dilemma a little further down the line. 
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 78 of 204
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 236member
    Next news in a year:”Apple discontinues its high priced audiophile headphones for the mini version but also discontinues the iPhone mini”
    MacQuadra840av
  • Reply 79 of 204
    That’s too bad. I have a pair of minis I use for my iPhone or laptop and reasonable music quality. I had heard the HomePod 2 rumors and was thinking of getting a pair for Apple TV but since they killed the HomePod I assume there will no new version. 
    I think they (Apple) was a little late to the speaker game, just as they were late with HomeKit (I do have a few devices on HomeKit) but seeing what Alexa can do as my wife has an Alexa smart speaker versus the limitations on Siri, almost makes me want to get some Alexa’s. Almost. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 80 of 204
    chasm said:
    Wake me up when they can be used as TV speakers. Yawn. 
    Um ... you just made yourself look quite the fool. Nice job.
    Being a fool beats being ignorant any day. 

Look it up. 
    edited March 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonAlex1N