Apple discontinues full-size HomePod, to focus on HomePod mini

Comments

• Reply 141 of 204
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    the whole TV incompatibility doesn't have anything to do with wires; rather it's a compatibility issue. The only way you can use it with your TV is if you also have an Apple TV. There are many people who have apple product and may have been interested in a HomePod but who don't have an Apple TV. Well, now I can spend $700 on a pair of Home Pods that sound good but I can't use with my TV/Roku/Firestick/??? or I could get a very good sound bar that also has bluetooth and works with everything I have.

Apple may be pushing new technology, but people care about being able to use their devices in the way they want more than they care about the actual technology. 
    eightzero
  • Reply 142 of 204
    neillwdneillwd Posts: 45member
    Does anyone believe this article? I’ve only read one article that seems to have started at TechHive parroted by everyone else. No press release on Apple’s site. 
  • Reply 143 of 204
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 160member
    @dymmas @anantksundaram ;

I guess the correct answer is that the HomePod cannot be used as a TV speaker. 

Only sound that originates from the AppleTV can be played on the HomePod. There is currently no way to get the HomePod to play sound originating from the TV - even if you have an AppleTV. The HomePod is really a ‘AppleTV speaker’ and not a ‘TV speaker’. 

Perhaps, Apple will enable bluetooth functionality in a future update, so that we can stream sound to the HomePod. 
    edited March 2021 anantksundaramgatorguyAI_liasAlex1N
  • Reply 144 of 204
    Japhey said:
    See post #128 above. Reflect on it.
    /extraloooongfacepalm
    It's not my job to make your point. Learn to make an effort.
    Reflect on it, lol.  
    Honestly, I don’t know why you’re wasting oxygen on that guy. He seems to get off on pissing off literally everybody on here. I guarantee he’s the guy who yells at the neighborhood kids when their ball lands in his yard. 
    Haha. Great to finally see a thread with AI looking like the AI of yore rather than the anodyne, triggered, newbie crap that it has mostly become.

You're Exhibit A. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 145 of 204
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rayz2016 said:
    eightzero said:
    A core part of Apple since almost the beginning has been sound and music  (iPod, iTunes, Apple Music, etc...).  In fact, they revolutionized the music industry.  They turned it on its head.

But, while Apple Music is very solid, they seem to be losing their way, wondering in the wilderness.

My grandson had one Homepod, an XBox Series X, and an Apple TV. 
    This past Christmas I looked at component audio systems to bring quality sound to that mix (I rejected a sound bar as too limited).
    A component home theater system was simply too expensive for me (Receiver, subwoofer + 5 speakers).   Plus, its integration with his Apple devices was less clean,
    So, I bought him a 2nd Homepod to make a stereo pair.

It is not as good as a Home Theater system -- but it is surprisingly close.
    Unfortunately, it will only interact with his Apple Devices -- not with the XBoxSeriesX -- so its use is limited.

So, without a high end HomePod, where now does one turn?
    High end Home Theater systems often include Airplay -- but moderately priced soundbars do not.  Without it access to Apple Devices is limited.
    Plus, with the AppleTV also in questionable standing, what does Apple use as a Homekit hub?   iPads are not the best choice for that.

In short, Apple has thrown a hodgepodge of products at both home automation and home theater.
    I think they need to look at this and develop a cohesive, integrated, quality, more systematic approach to the home.
    There seems to be a large void there without a cohesive strategy from Apple.

I would like to see:
    --  Apple WiFi routers
    --  Apple Home automation products
    --  Apple home theater systems
    ...... And, of course, all of that would be tightly integrated into a cohesive, seamless and secure whole.
    As my grandpa usta say, "ain't no money in that."

I completely understand and share your desire to have reliable (!) and fully functional Apple devices that solve tech needs and wants. I really miss AirPorts. But like TV screens, thats a race to the bottom of the price people are willing to pay, something Apple has never done. I'm stunned by the low prices of really high quality HDTVs these days. Only by combining displays with something else (iMacs, MacBooks, and the MacPro display) does Apple even participate in this product. I get the sense that Apple wa pushed to an audio product rather unwillingly.

I am sort of curious if the headline here is correct: now that "HomePod" is gone, will the $99 ones still be "mini?" Seems that is something of a marketing...gap?

No money in it if they release them all as separate products.

But what if they put a decent Mesh Router in the HomePod, and the HomePod Minis also worked as mesh satellites. Sound, Wifi, Siri, home automation in one device.
    Maybe you know this, but the HomePod Mini does support Thread which is an IPv6-based mesh networking protocol device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_(network_protocol)
    Yes, I think I read something about this at the launch, but clearly didn't pay much attention.
  • Reply 146 of 204
    gatorguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    eightzero said:
    A core part of Apple since almost the beginning has been sound and music  (iPod, iTunes, Apple Music, etc...).  In fact, they revolutionized the music industry.  They turned it on its head.

But, while Apple Music is very solid, they seem to be losing their way, wondering in the wilderness.

This past Christmas I looked at component audio systems to bring quality sound to that mix (I rejected a sound bar as too limited).
    A component home theater system was simply too expensive for me (Receiver, subwoofer + 5 speakers).   Plus, its integration with his Apple devices was less clean,

Unfortunately, it will only interact with his Apple Devices -- not with the XBoxSeriesX -- so its use is limited.

High end Home Theater systems often include Airplay -- but moderately priced soundbars do not.  Without it access to Apple Devices is limited.
    Plus, with the AppleTV also in questionable standing, what does Apple use as a Homekit hub?   iPads are not the best choice for that.

In short, Apple has thrown a hodgepodge of products at both home automation and home theater.
    I think they need to look at this and develop a cohesive, integrated, quality, more systematic approach to the home.

I would like to see:
    --  Apple WiFi routers
    ...... And, of course, all of that would be tightly integrated into a cohesive, seamless and secure whole.

I completely understand and share your desire to have reliable (!) and fully functional Apple devices that solve tech needs and wants. I really miss AirPorts. But like TV screens, thats a race to the bottom of the price people are willing to pay, something Apple has never done. I'm stunned by the low prices of really high quality HDTVs these days. Only by combining displays with something else (iMacs, MacBooks, and the MacPro display) does Apple even participate in this product. I get the sense that Apple wa pushed to an audio product rather unwillingly.

I am sort of curious if the headline here is correct: now that "HomePod" is gone, will the $99 ones still be "mini?" Seems that is something of a marketing...gap?

But what if they put a decent Mesh Router in the HomePod, and the HomePod Minis also worked as mesh satellites. Sound, Wifi, Siri, home automation in one device.
    You're describing a current Nest product. I don't know whether that's been a real market success either. 

You're describing a product that isn't made by Apple. If folk have a lot of Apple kit, then their first choice to extend it will be Apple because it'll be easier to set up (multi-user access on Siri HomePod being a rare exception) and because they trust Apple not to flog their internet usage data to anyone who slaps down a credit card.

My first choice for a Mesh Router would most likely be Apple . . . if they made one.
    JWSCAlex1Nspock1234
  • Reply 147 of 204

eightzero said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    eightzero said:

I would like to see:
    --  Apple WiFi routers

Maybe toss in a 5G modem? Apple become a cell/service provider? Maybe with Starlink? Hum....
    Now you're talking.

I think two things Apple are missing: a service to back up everything you're storing on iCloud, and an internet service.
    spock1234
  • Reply 148 of 204
    neillwd said:
    Does anyone believe this article? I’ve only read one article that seems to have started at TechHive parroted by everyone else. No press release on Apple’s site. 
    I think TechCrunch received a statement from Apple:

https://techcrunch.com/2021/03/12/apple-discontinues-original-homepod-will-focus-on-mini/

Apple gave TechCrunch a statement about the discontinuation:
    HomePod mini has been a hit since its debut last fall, offering customers amazing sound, an intelligent assistant, and smart home control all for just $99. We are focusing our efforts on HomePod mini. We are discontinuing the original HomePod, it will continue to be available while supplies last through the Apple Online Store, Apple Retail Stores, and Apple Authorized Resellers. Apple will provide HomePod customers with software updates and service and support through Apple Care.

Apple won't put the discontinuation notice on their site if they're trying to sell off existing inventory.

edited March 2021 gatorguyAlex1N
  • Reply 149 of 204
    Japhey said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Of course, it's also possible that sales of the HomePod fell off a cliff because everyone bought HomePod Minis instead.

I mean, £99 is pretty cheap.

Lots of folk are speculating that Apple is cancelling it to replace it with something else.

Possible, but I doubt it.

If they continue with the Mini, then improvements are going to come from there.
    I’m one of those people. Given the way Apple has systematically improved the audio on all of its products over the past few years, I find it hard to believe that they will be satisfied with the compromised sound of the Mini as being their only option. I agree with your last post that bringing back AirPort to create a mesh network with the Minis as satellites makes complete sense. Adding in Apple TV is also a no-brainer and would help justify the high price tag. Roku is doing something similar with their soundbar. Add in Thread, CHIP, UWB, and Bluetooth support on an S6. 

Also, the sheer number of patents they have for HomePod, along with the suspicious timing of this cancellation so close to the reputed spring event are all indications for me that Apple is not just throwing in the towel. If a replacement is on the way, I would expect it then, or not at all. 

Absolutely. 

Apple discontinues products all the time (some, like the AirPower, get discontinued straight after launch), so this nothing new. I also agree that Apple wouldn't have spent this amount of money on a single product, so the tech developed here will be used to enhance future Macs, iPads, iPhones and the sound system in some future car.

But I am also saying that Apple thought there was a market for an expensive speaker with a sub-par AI. They were flat-out wrong. Folk are more interested in the AI assistance than in top-notch sound quality. So don't expect to see a new HomePod.
    edited March 2021 canukstormAlex1N
  • Reply 150 of 204
    dewme said:
    Not a huge surprise. I just came across this story a few minutes ago, coincidently after having been listening to my HomePod since early this morning. The good news is that it seems like a solidly engineered and constructed product so hopefully it will last several more years and continue to deliver a great listening experience. 

Sloughing off products that aren't hitting their targets or gaining marketshare is an inevitable fact of life for profitable businesses. You have to free up resources and focus for the next round of products that will get their opportunity to run the race and thrive. Survival of the fittest. 

As much as I hate to say it, I'm thinking the axe blade may be swinging in the direction of Apple TV next. It's a great product, but it's stuck in a tweener hole (sucker hole?) between low cost streamers and gaming consoles. I've bought a few Apple TV 4Ks because they are super easy to setup and have been very reliable for me. Yeah, the price is definitely higher than it probably should be for what it does, but I'm willing to pay for convenience. 

There was a time when I thought Apple might combine the HomePod and Apple TV into something like an "Apple Soundbar Pro" that would put all of the Apple TV features and apps into the soundbar hardware, which would also function as a high-end audio HomePod (using HomePod minis as satellite speakers) and an integrated HomeKit hub. They could probably make it all work through a single HDMI ARC connection to 4K TVs and monitors. But with the demise of the HomePod and Apple rolling much (but not all) of the Apple TV functionality into smart TV apps, my hopes aren't very high for such a mashup. Who knows? The only thing that's certain is uncertainty. 
    Roku has something pretty close to what you are describing. I've been eyeing the bigger Roku soundbar, which does make use of HDMI ARC, so the other TV sources' audio will play back on it. It may not sound as good as a HomePod (I don't have one to compare), but I'm sure it will sound better than the built-in TV speakers. It is 4K, has the AppleTV app and all the other main streamer apps, and even has Airplay2 -- for about $150. For another $150, they have a wireless sub, and yet another $150 gets you a pair of wireless surrounds. I would prefer an Apple version of this concept, but that's not likely to happen any time soon, if ever.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 151 of 204
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    JWSC said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said: A 360ºC design on a product with a cable? And a not long cable at that. Placing the product in a central position position would leave the cable as a tripwire, so inevitably they were placed in non-central positions, perhaps defeating the purpose of a 360ºC design
    Non-central positions did not defeat the purpose. The HomePod was designed to take sound reflection into account, so putting them closer to a wall like a standard speaker was never an issue. 
    But what were the parts facing the wall or shelf doing? Basically nothing? That's a lot of engineering and analysis to reach an end result where the hardware basically is switched off. Or is it firing sound into the wall anyway? 
    All speakers are working.  You should have read the in-depth analysis on this when it first came out.  Those who say the HomePod was too expensive never understood the incredible sound engineering that went into this product.  And Shane on Apple marketing for not touting the technology behind it all.  HomePod is still the best speaker in it class.  It’s a shame Apple pulled the plug.  Sends all the wrong messages.

Yes, you are correct.
    The Homepod is the best speaker in its class.  The trouble is:  not enough people want that class.

Homepods cost a lot of money -- especially if you buy two of them (which is needed if you want great sound).
    So, while they cost too much for those who just want to find out what the weather is, they cannot match a component stereo system for those who want serious sound for a home theater system -- particularly since they cannot fit into a home theater system unless it is being driven by an Airplay system.
    eightzeroAI_liasAlex1N
  • Reply 152 of 204
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    JWSC said:
    danox said:
    slurpy said:
    darkvader said:
    Hi Homepod, this is iPod Hi-Fi!  Welcome to the discontinued overpriced garbage club!

It was a stupid product when it was new, it never improved, the price never dropped to anything even remotely close to reasonable, Apple discontinued it. 

Why would anybody be surprised?  It was a failure from minute 1.
    What an idiotic post. 

The vast, vast majority of reviews proclaimed the sound quality to be incredible, and the price was actially resonable when compared to other speakers in its class with the same quality. It's not "garbage" , and Im not sure what universe the price "isn't even remotely close to reasonable". The fucking Google speaker is the same price. Apple discontinued it because it because it wasn't selling at the levels of Apple's other products (ie. astronomically high). Doesn't mean it was a "garbage" or "stupid" product.

I'm curious why you have such passionate hate towards it? What did it do to you? Pretty much everyone who cared about good sound quality and was in the Apple ecosystem loved it. Your post just sounds like a tired troll. Funny how you have to go back like 2 decades to find another discontinued product to pretend there's some kind of pattern. 

He a dense person, the lack of a hardwired connection doomed the HomePod, a pair of HomePods with the XDR monitor and a desktop Mac or a iMac would have been a nice setup. (Hardwired)

The iPod Hi-Fi? Still going strong can’t get rit of it after 12-13 years sounds and works great and yes it is hardwired thank you Apple. 
    The lack of a hardwired connection doomed the HomePod??!  Yea umm, no!  You must be from the ‘90s and still think wireless is inferior.  Not true today.

If it can't connect its doesn't work - silence makes for rotten sound.
    Few home theater systems are built for all wireless speakers.   A few of the newer ones support wireless rear channels or sometimes even 2 channel sound.   But even fewer support a full wireless setup compatible with Homepods.
    gatorguyAlex1N
  • Reply 153 of 204
    flydog said:
    This is by far the stupidest thing that Apple has done in a very long time.

I have about $1000 of HomePods that now have a very fuzzy future on support, new features, bug fixes, etc

The issues posed by this decision and the failure to realize how detrimental this is to their offering IMO includes but is not limited to: 

1. The one thing with the HomePod truly does well is music. It’s a crap smart assistant compared to its competitors. The experience with the HomePod mini is the same overall, however it sounds only marginally better than my iPad at best. Meaning it’s still a smart speaker but only really excels at being able to play music on Apple Music, but it just doesn’t sound all that good doing it. 
    2. I would expect the HomePod mini would act as an entry point to the HomePod ecosystem for many. And there’s no doubt in my mind that if the HomePod ecosystem grows through the HomePod mini, with a little patience OG HomePod sales would grow alongside it. I assume that was part of the rationale in introducing the HomePod mini. The HomePod mini would be the iPhone, and the HomePod would be the iPhone pro. 
    3. While the Apple smart home experience is far from perfect, I would consider it semi-complete. If you remove the OG HomePod from the mix it gets really confusing and silly. It leaves big gaping holes in what their “vision” is for a functioning ecosystem in a smart home top to bottom.  For example, say I buy offbrand airplay 2 speakers that I want to be able to use to play apple music in my home. I, like many of you would refuse to use anything that listens all the time made by Google or Amazon, which means that I either have to tell my phone hey siri to play music in a certain room (something it doesn’t do very well, and never mind the fact that for some reason the watch still doesn’t do this with siri) or I still have a HomePod mini in that room that I would tell to play the music. But you would have to word it so that you’re telling the HomePod mini to play music on another speaker in that room and not the HomePod mini itself. Because I really do want a decent smart assist and a decent speaker in the same room.  And when you consider multiple rooms, like what, do actually expect you to have a HomePod mini along with an actual decent sounding airplay/HomeKit speaker in every room? 
    4. I don’t expect that they will support this software wise with new features very long, let alone bug fixes. Also let alone in a timely manner. And with how many bugs still exist and have existed for a long time my expectations that they ever get fixed is lowered further.  It’s not being replaced by a new model, it’s being discontinued. It runs the same software as the mini, sure, but the hardware is different. Which doesn’t bode super well imo for attention of any sort. It’s already neglected before it was discontinued. 
    5. as it starts to get gray in the face software update wise, I can definitely see a scenario for those that use it entirely as a home hub on HomeKit or as one of their home hubs on HomeKit, where without buying a new device you either don’t get all the new HomeKit features and improvements, or you have a much buggier experience. Something that is already been a problem in the past between different home hubs. Also , Remember that you can’t disable the HomePod as a home hub like you can an Apple TV. 
    6. Did I mention how truly stupid this seems to me? Like it feels like I should sell the three I have and get out early. They are signaling they aren’t going to offer anything in this market segment at the moment. They are already neglected software wise, it will only get worse, and they’re so proprietary, and they weren’t cheap. 

Anyone else?!

Yeah.  This post is the stupidest thing you've done in a long time.  Apple has discontinued a lot of products over the year and they still work just fine.  It's not going to turn into a brick just because it's no longer manufactured.

Jesus.
    And when he needs his $1000 of homepods repaired - but it’s unrepairable and there are no replacements and AppleCare ran out, but they used to sound magical - what then? Oh it’s ok, flydog says so...
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacAI_lias
  • Reply 154 of 204
    eightzero said: Price points matter. At the reveal of the HomePod, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. When they said $399 i chuckled. "yeah. no."
    The HiFi was $399. The HomePod was $350. Is $350 an unusually high price for home speaker products? No. The tech media focused on the price because they wanted the narrative to be about Amazon beating Apple. In reality, Amazon flooded the market with cheap smart speakers because they believed customers would use them to order more products from Amazon. But customers didn't really use them that way, so Amazon actually failed at their primary objective. 
    silvertideAlex1Nspock1234
  • Reply 155 of 204
    Rayz2016 said: Folk are more interested in the AI assistance than in top-notch sound quality. 
    The tech media spends a lot of time treating AI like consumers want to play twenty questions with their smart speakers, but I think most people are more interested in home automation integration for things like turning on specific lighting schemes or changing the temperature.
    JWSCAlex1N
  • Reply 156 of 204
    Rayz2016 said: Folk are more interested in the AI assistance than in top-notch sound quality. 
    The tech media spends a lot of time treating AI like consumers want to play twenty questions with their smart speakers, but I think most people are more interested in home automation integration for things like turning on specific lighting schemes or changing the temperature.
    Yes, exactly. The problem is that if your device doesn’t have a screen then voice command/audio response has to be smart and intuitive. Siri needs too many specifics in her recognition to work that well on a screen-less speaker. 

gatorguyAlex1N
  • Reply 157 of 204
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Kinda makes me think Apple does not believe in a product they sold me. What else are they selling they really don’t believe in? Not a good look.
    JWSCAlex1N
  • Reply 158 of 204
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    MplsP said:
    Yeah, I can’t say I’m totally surprised. Like the article said, there was nothing wrong with the technology or sound quality - the reviews were pretty much unanimous that both were excellent. Apple just came late to the smart speaker market and out priced itself. 

Now, imagine if instead of spending $300 on a smart speaker you just spent $70,000 on a car...

It is just another example of stupid marketing from Apple!    I pretty much knew what was going to happen the minute Apple offered up the price.   Combine that with always on invasions of privacy who would really want such a thing in their house if they really thought about it?   That invasion of privacy is a big no no to most of us.    The other thing here is that most Americans are not completely stupid, we know how much the components in such a device costs and don't enjoy getting gouged.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 159 of 204
    darkvader said:
    Hi Homepod, this is iPod Hi-Fi!  Welcome to the discontinued overpriced garbage club!

It was a stupid product when it was new, it never improved, the price never dropped to anything even remotely close to reasonable, Apple discontinued it. 

Why would anybody be surprised?  It was a failure from minute 1.

Exactly!   I can't imagine why anybody would have purchased one to begin with.    To me it was a spy tool that people willingly paid a massive mark up on.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 160 of 204
    cloudguy said:
    darkvader said:
    starof80 said:
    What about the rumors of the second HomePod? I was going to buy that when it came out.

Maybe you can buy the first one at fire sale prices.  It would be worth buying for $50.

(And by that I mean $50 for a pair.  $50 for one is far too much.)

I am hoping that you are joking. In case you aren't, the discontinued Google Home Max costs $160 refurbished. No way the HomePod is going to be anywhere near that cheap.

Actually there is not reason for it to cost much more.   Frankly the HP is just a way for Apple to massively rip off consumers.    I really don't understand why people are so wiling to throw money at Apple when they offer up these boondoggles.