'AirPods 3' not coming until fall 2021, says Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2021
After prior predictions of an early 2021 release, Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo now claims that Apple's "AirPods 3" will now not enter mass production until the third quarter of 2021.

Credit: 52Audio
Credit: 52Audio

Kuo's prediction comes days after leaked images of the "AirPods 3" and recent reports that they were ready to ship. However, in a report to investors seen by AppleInsider Kuo claims that Apple has reportedly scheduled production for the third calendar quarter of 2021.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously predicted a launch in the first half of 2021, but now he suggests that the new AirPods are delayed. Kuo's note on Monday morning offers no suggestion of why the "AirPods 3" are to enter production later than expected.

Kuo's note also focuses more on what he expects will be a significant decline in the sales of AirPods overall. Up to the Q3 launch of the "AirPods 3," Kuo predicts a year-over-year decline of around 25%, including low sales for the AirPods Max.

"[Even] better-than-expected demand for the new AirPods 3, which will go to mass production in 3Q21, will allow 4Q21 shipments to remain flat YoY at 23 million units," says Kuo.

Kuo is unsure whether the "AirPods 3" will replace the current AirPods 2 or not.

"We think it is still difficult to determine whether AirPods 2 will end production after AirPods 3 goes into mass production," he continues. "Apple's dilemma is that if AirPods 2 is sold at a lower price, it may affect AirPods 3 demand, but if there is no lower-priced AirPods model, it will not be conducive to AirPods shipment."

Kuo calls the "major losers" of the contraction of Apple's AirPods market to impact providers such as Compeq and Unitech. Beneficiaries of the shift in market temperament, according to Kuo, include producers of chipsets for competitors, like Qualcomm, MediaTek, Realtek, JMicron, and Bestechnic

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    But but but just a couple days ago an accurate leaker said that Apple's 'AirPods 3' are ready to ship.....  :D
  • Reply 2 of 8
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Would be nice if you could get them in something other than white.
    Would be nicer if they had an ear loop like the Beats units.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 8
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    I agree that different colors (at least black) would be cool.  Ear loop makes no sense for this type of unit as they are designed to hang on the ear.

As for timing, I'm ready for a new pair now but luckily my Gen 2 pair is working fine.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tjv82ctjv82c Posts: 9member
    I really don't like the fit of the AirPods Pro (ended up swapping someone my pair for a HomePod), but I love the fit of the standard AirPods, so I will be sad if that shape is discontinued.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    So how does the score card for the “often correct” “better than average” “well connected” Ming-Chi Kuo work? Once again, he has changed a prediction. Does the previous prediction count on the score card as wrong, or does it get attached to the update (or chain of updates) until he gets it right?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    doggone said:
    I agree that different colors (at least black) would be cool.  Ear loop makes no sense for this type of unit as they are designed to hang on the ear.

As for timing, I'm ready for a new pair now but luckily my Gen 2 pair is working fine.
    They won’t make black ones because they’re too easy to lose as they’re harder to spot in dark corners. Plus the white ones are easy to spot on users and are a highly recognizable branding since the first iPod. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Any word on AirPods Pro?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    doggone said:

For some of us, whose ears were apparently designed incorrectly, a loop would be perfect.  I completely get that those of us who chose ears not designed to Apple's specs are a minority, but it would still be nice to be able to use my AirPods Pro (yes, Pro) for more than an hour at a time sitting on the couch without them working their way out.  On a walk, reduce that to 15ish minutes.