Unreleased Apple Silicon iMac leaked by Xcode Crash Reporter

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
A currently unreleased iMac running on what appears to be an Apple Silicon chip has leaked through a report file in Xcode's Crash Reporter feature.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

As Apple shifts its Mac lineup over to first-party chips, reports and rumors indicate that one of the next devices in line will be the iMac. Apple is reportedly working on two all-in-one Macs with ARM processors to replace the 21.5-inch iMac and the 27-inch iMac.

Amid those rumors, an iMac device with an ARM chip has surfaced through the Xcode Crash Reporter feature.

A crash report file, shared with 9to5Mac by DraftCloud developer Dennis Oberhoff, indicates that the app crashed while running on an iMac with an ARM processor. Apple doesn't currently sell an all-in-one with an Apple Silicon chip, so the file surfaced from an unreleased model.

A screenshot of the crash report file showing an ARM64 iMac. Credit: 9to5Mac
A screenshot of the crash report file showing an ARM64 iMac. Credit: 9to5Mac

Reportedly, Apple's upcoming iMac refresh will represent one of the biggest visual redesigns to the Apple ecosystem in 2021. The new iMacs are rumored to have a design reminiscent of the Pro Display XDR, and could be available in new colors like green and blue.

Details on the lineup's specifics are still spotty. For example, some rumors suggest that Apple is working on a 24-inch model to replace the 21.5-inch iMac. That screen bump could hint that an even larger model meant to replace the 27-inch iMac could also be in the works.

It also isn't clear if the 2021 iMac lineup will sport an M1 Apple Silicon chip, or if it'll come equipped with another iteration of the first-party system-on-chip.

There's no word on when Apple might release the refreshed iMacs, but some signs could point to a debut sooner than later. Apple recently discontinued the iMac Pro and it has stopped producing some current 21.5-inch iMac configurations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I almost want to tell Apple to hurry up and release the new iMac.  Because I want one now!  But then I think, no, let them take their time and get it right rather than rush out a flawed 1.0 iteration.
    forgot usernameScot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Will look to replace the kids 2013 iMac with one of these. It runs Big Sur beautifully, but is still starting to show its age.
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Just got my stimulus check today so please release it soon need to get one for my daughter.
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    saarek said:
    Will look to replace the kids 2013 iMac with one of these. It runs Big Sur beautifully, but is still starting to show its age.
    Except for the fact that Big Sur does not support 2013 iMacs. And if you are going to tell us that you used a third party kludge force Big Sur to run on a 2013 iMac then good luck with that.
    edited March 2021 watto_cobraapplguy
  • Reply 5 of 13
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    lkrupp said:
    saarek said:
    Except for the fact that Big Sur does not support 2013 iMacs. And if you are going to tell us that you used a third party kludge force Big Sur to run on a 2013 iMac then good luck with that.
    I'm very happy that my late 2014 iMac 5K will last just long enough to be conveniently replaced with an M series model. Betting that I could wait it out until the arrival of the M series Mac Pro, but that's a long way off.
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    *DaftCloud
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    lkrupp said:
    saarek said:

Except for the fact that's literally my hobby. Google "Patched Sur", search it on YouTube, I don't really care how you look, just see what you find.
    edited March 2021 lordjohnwhorfinkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    lkrupp said:
    saarek said:
    Yes, I use something called PatchedSur. There is no technical reason whatsoever for my iMac not to run Big Sur, it’s far more powerful than some of the officials supported Macs after all!

The only reason people can think of is that Apple cannot work out how to make the fusion drives work properly with Big Sur in those machines.

Still, I replaced the Hard Drive with an SSD years ago so that’s not an issue and Big Sur runs very well indeed. All the drivers for my Mac are natively part of Big Sur.

Anyone else rocking a 2013 iMac (without fusion drive) I suggest you take a look. Patched Sur is fantastic!
    marklarkBenSovakillroymatrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    Looking forward to Apples high end Mac Mini or a low end compact Mac Pro.  Both are probably overkill for my needs, but I like the idea of buying an upper midrange cpu that will be useful for many years after decades of having to subsist on used, low end Macs that quickly age out.  

It’s about time to upgrade my iPad Pro which is my sole computing device right now.  12.9 with mini-LED looks supremely tempting right now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    I'm hoping/expecting an M1/M? iMac will be released at the next event. It would fit with Apple's timeline and my dad is looking to replace his aging iMac so the timing would be perfect!
    killroydocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    My mom's iMac is starting to act up - from what she's describing sounds like the fan is going out. Hopefully I can just clean it and keep it limping along.

I hope they release them sooner rather than later!
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Not this year maybe but I have to think there is at least a 6K iMac coming and maybe an 8K.  Of course an 8K Mac Pro screen too.  Full frame photographers need 6K and professional videographers future-proofing their work need 8K, and Apple historically cares about both photography and video a lot.  The M class chips excel in both areas.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    OctoMonkeyOctoMonkey Posts: 311member
    I am just glad to have purchased 2019 iMacs for my kids...  it will give plenty of time for all the bugs to be worked out in the M-series Macs before I need to consider upgrading or changing platforms.